Hide
12 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: Get both BASE-sets? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Axel Lundblad
msg tools
I have watched some Youtube-clips now and this game looks fantastic. I want to ask you if I can become satisfied with one baseset or is it mandatory to get both instantly? I think its almost a waste that both base-sets includes nearly the same components, would've been easier if one were simply an expansion...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The two base sets actually have quite a few different components. The characters are different, and most of the monsters as well. The only duplicates are the tentacles. The map boards for the mine are slightly changed, but the reverse sides of the tiles with the other worlds are not alike at all. Many of the cards are not duplicated in both sets as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mandatory? No.
Advisable? Yes.

Think as them as separate games, but also expansions of each other.
Theres more unique between the two than you realize.

And together they are greater than the sum of their parts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dennis
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I combined the sets and appreciate the variety it brings. Many map cards have a special encounter written on them ("advanced" rules) that occurs in addition to normal encounter tokens. Combining the sets ads more variety by doubling the special encounters and reduce your chance of having already seen an encounter for a particular room.
Combining threat decks makes for a more interesting game, and opens more options from the Bounties in town. Speaking of which, having two sets of town location cards is great.
The only things wasted between two base sets are tokens, depth track, loot and scavenge cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Johnson
United States
Beatrice
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I very nearly picked up both sets because I wanted to allow up to 6 players. I had to go with just one since I still needed to get some other christmas gifts. Ive been reading the rules and Im curious about something. It talks about using a posse with multiple characters from the same class. So this can be done with just one core? I just need a proxy mini and a little extra bookkeeping? So if its possible to have multiple classes is it possible to play this with 5-6 with just one core set? Is there going to be a lot of extra bookkeeping? My game should arrive today and I want to let the group know how many I can have for our game tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can definitely have a posse with multiple heroes of the same class. You'll have to proxy the mini, obviously.
Extra bookkeeping? Yes, as you will no longer be able to have the starting gear cards in front of each hero. But, this isn't as big of a problem as you might think if you're going to run a campaign, as once you start buying items in town, there aren't cards for everything anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buman
United States
Harlan
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember the miniatures need assembled, which requires glue. It can take a couple of hours to put them together. I just wanted to let you know if you were unaware. Might be tight to get a game in tomorrow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Palmarozzi
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would generally say no. I bought both sets because of my excitement over a real campaign style game with character progression. While SoB does that very well, I'm disappointed by the core combat mechanics of the monsters. Neither core set has very interesting AI and out of the heroes, only the preacher has really interesting mechanics (arguably the gunslinger too).

So you'll essentially be getting more of the same with both core sets. While the extra replay from a 2nd set helps thematically if you are going to play 1-2 times/week, it doesn't improve the game mechanically. I think it would be better to buy 1 core set and play that until expansions release, which I believe will include more interesting mechanical content (in addition to theme which FFP always does well).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YES.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lil Keezy
msg tools
If you're unsure about dropping so much money at once, I would say just pick up one base set first. There's plenty of content in a single box to last quite awhile.

However if you plan on doing a long running campaign with a consistent group, I would suggest getting both sets sooner rather than later. A second set almost double the variety of gear/weapons you can get as well as nearly doubling the enemy variety.

None of that is a huge deal when starting out. It can all be easily integrated later on. But the 4 additional character classes is a pretty big deal from the beginning. As the party make up will dramatically change how your group plays the game, as well as what sort of abilities/gear they choose when leveling up and buying items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you get both base sets, you can reach a free shipping threshold! laugh

Hang around the Hot Deals forum. I've seen the sets as low as $60 each!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Axel Lundblad
msg tools
Sounds more sensible to buy one CORE-set. I like your opinion and I think I will follow your advice. Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.