Subject: Wanna buy Tragedy but having two concerns rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
Hello,

I really wanna buy the game, it looks awesome, but:
1.how does the game plays with two people?
2.i saw someone comparing the game to Scotland yard, which is also a deduction game, but one which I don't like. The game is just not interesting, and does not make you feels like you're actually thinking hard and trying to solve a hard enigma.

What's your thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:

Well.

The designer is testing most scripts on 2 persons only.
It's more "fun" with 4 people though, I guess.

Badigel wrote:
2.i saw someone comparing the game to Scotland yard, which is also a deduction game, but one which I don't like.

Scotland Yard is just a deduction on "where did he go" based on the information you have.

Tragedy Looper is about "what the heck is going on, who's who, and how can I survive?" based on a spreadsheet of possible scenarios, and the sparse information you have on what just happened before you lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mks
Poland
Loguivy
Côtes d'Armor, Bretagne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:

It does play with 2. The only inconvienience is that 1) the protagonists player need to handle the three stacks of cards (with may be annoying but not so much, because there are not that many cards) and 2) you don't get to apply the rule about talking allowed only between the loops, which adds a possibility of misunderstandings between protagonists - but that way the game becomes pure deduction, which leads me to...
Badigel wrote:
2.i saw someone comparing the game to Scotland yard, which is also a deduction game, but one which I don't like. The game is just not interesting, and does not make you feels like you're actually thinking hard and trying to solve a hard enigma.

Scotland Yard to me appears to be a light "Benny Hill-like try to catch me" type of game, where deduction comes up several times during the game but is very limited to the places Mr X could go to. Here it is much deeper of (harder) of a deduction, which is also more tense and flavoured. The only thing is that in games like "Letters from Whitechapel" (which is based on the Scotland Yard idea) you may get almoast the same amount of tension, but the design is also cleaner (only by moving your Jack the Ripper instead of influencing several characters in several different ways; only by trying to get to his hideout instead of managing all the plots, subplots, powers, etc tables)

hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played with two and can't comment on that one, but to your second question:

WHAT?

Tragedy Looper is a deduction game, so is scottland yard. Otherwise they have nothing AT ALL in common.
Tragedy Looper is a tough struggle - for the protagonists AND the mastermind (although, if you are as bad a mastermind as i am, it may in fact be easier than scottland yard )

Still - trying to become better at it is a whole game in itself...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon H.
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't comment on the first question, bc I only played with four people up to now and I can say that I had a blast.

Concerning the similarity to scotland yard, adding some points to Zimeon's description: While scotland yard is relatively themeless, tragedy looper is dripping with theme and story. Once we started playing it, the characters really came to life and we were trying to figure out their relationships. The best part of the game is when the single thematic moments of the game (e.g.: you think and talk about "the schoolgirl" rather than "card x" and her relationship to "the doctor" than "card y") come together to create a story which is behind all the decision making. That adds a really nice thematic depth to the game you won't find in scotland yard.

I own this and I'd recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Reaves
United States
Allison Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rahdo recently did a video review of Tragedy Looper; I haven't seen it yet, but since Rahdo only played 2-player, that might be a good thing to check out for another opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
Thanks.

So how is it compared to Whitechapel? mks, when you say cleaner, you mean simpler?

I don't like radho reviews at all. They are way too long. I usually only watch the final thoughts, but they too are full of useless chattering and out of the 15-20 final thoughts I saw, ALL were highly praising the games, so I can't say I trust his judgement. Plus, he really likes Pandemic, which I think is not a good game, very easy and the co-op is not interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Burgess
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've played this game 8 times in the last 6 weeks.

2p - would work well, but would be noticably harder on the Mastermind. The Mastermind does not have the advantage of listening to the players discuss information about what they know. That said, the players only have one person now to try to deduce and remember things.

I never ended up enjoying Whitechapel. The police side really feels like it should be one person. In looper, knowing what the players are thinking is insightful, but not game breaking. It felt too much in whitehapel, having the plice have to discuss in front of Jack. As it is, Jack doubling back on his track a few times seems like all that's needed to escape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tsui
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
I've played a lot of the intro scenario with 3-4, but mostly the later ones with 2 players.

The biggest thing is table talk aspect. Playing with two is like having table talk on, but the mastermind doesn't get to listen to it. It's generally easier to formulate your plans and avoid the 2x/3x forbidden intrigue play, which can be devastating for the players if they were really counting on countering the mastermind's play. Although thinking on your own will limit your deductions, I find that the "table talk on" aspect is big enough that I usually play 2 players at -1 loop count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.