Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tanya Egeland
Canada
Bow Island
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My name is Tanya and I'm new to BGG. I came across this community completely by accident because I was shopping for games for my niece for Christmas. It never crossed my mind, until now, that there would be something like a group for board gamers, but now that I've discovered there is such a thing, I am very interested in becoming a part of it. It would be great to meet some other board game fanatics like myself that live in my area, as I'm married to a totally NON-gamer, so I rarely get to play games, aside from facebook and computer games of course. The only time I really get to play is at the occasional family gathering, which isn't often. So, sadly, my games just sit in my closet and collect dust. soblue

I live in a little town called Bow Island in SE Alberta (about a 40 minute drive from Medicine Hat) and there isn't a whole lot going on here. I've been reading some of the posts in this forum that have mentioned there are clubs in Medicine Hat, Brooks, etc. I would be willing to drive to those places if there were any groups looking for more members. I'm also about a 40-minute drive from Taber too, so if there was an active club there, I would be interested. Prior to moving here 9 years ago, we lived in Brooks, therefore I still have friends there and go there regularly, so I wouldn't be opposed to occasionally attending an event in Brooks if they wanted/needed an extra player. Well, this post has turned into my life story, so I'll end it here. If you made it to the end, thanks for reading this post.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Tanya, welcome to the Geek
Here is a thread which might help you to aquaintance you with the site: Every-Gamer BGG Guides

I am sure as soon as the Canadians will wake up you will be answered a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacq L
New Zealand
flag msg tools
What are YOU lookin at?
badge
poof
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a weekly board-gaming group in Medicine Hat that is super awesome. I moved away years ago but it used to meet on Thursday evenings.

It is/was run by
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb

He might have more info for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
I do. GM sent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Geek, Tanya.
As you can see, lots of awesome people here. And all of them are gamers! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanya Egeland
Canada
Bow Island
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the friendly welcome.

It looks like I have some serious reading to do with all the new user FAQs and stuff. Thanks so much for the tips. I will be sure to do a search in Medicine Hat as well as my surrounding area. I'm so excited to have finally found out about this wonderful resource.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
OCDd_gamer wrote:
so I rarely get to play games, aside from facebook and computer games of course. The only time I really get to play is at the occasional family gathering, which isn't often. So, sadly, my games just sit in my closet and collect dust. soblue

I hear you. Good thing tho, wasting a ton of time here makes you feel a lot better!

Glad you found us!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Rowe
Canada
High River Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I knew you wanted to mouse over my Avatar :).
mbmbmbmbmb
OCDd_gamer wrote:
So, sadly, my games just sit in my closet and collect dust. soblue

This just cannot be. I hope you find a group to remedy that problem. Welcome to BGG. Have fun.

Oh and a Very Merry Christmas T.

Cheers

Derek
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG! Please feel free to also say hello here:

So, Who Are the Ladies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PS, there are also lots of places to play online. These threads are a couple that I know of, that may help:

BGG Ladies of Yucata

BGG Ladies of Board Game Arena (BGA)

The weblinks section of each game page should have links to online play sites for that game. There is also an overview here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/On-line_Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Yucata http://yucata.de has a wide choice of boardgames that you can play online vs. others. The rules are online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanya Egeland
Canada
Bow Island
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much everyone. I will check out the other forums when I get a chance.

Please don't take offense when I say that playing online really just isn't quite the same as playing in person in front of a physical game board, IMO. It will probably sound kind of silly, but during my recent search for the perfect games for my neices, I watched a bunch of reviews on YouTube, and my favorite videos to watch were the TableTop ones with Wil Wheaton because they were not only informative, but also entertaining. It made me think to myself how great it must be to have a small group of friends that gets together on a regular basis and just has fun playing games. I would love to have that. I think all the people I know must just be dead boring because they don't do those sort of things. It would be nice to find a group of like-minded people to associate with that AREN'T boring and that DO enjoy playing games.

You know, the funny thing is, I am originally from Calgary. I lived there all my life until I got married. The city is so fast-paced and everyone is always in such a hurry to get somewhere. People have so much to do, and that's usually friends' excuses when they don't call you or see you for awhile... they've been busy. Now I live in a small town, population 3,000, where it takes 5 minutes to drive to work, not fast-paced at all, but now when you try to make plans with friends to get together (ie. to have a game night), they're still too busy... they have to be up early to drive little tommy to hockey practice or whatever else the moms do in small towns. It seems there will always be an excuse. I think people just don't make the effort or make it a priority in their life these days. That's why it's great to know about these gaming guilds now. I will no longer have to rely on these flakey people anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Rowe
Canada
High River Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I knew you wanted to mouse over my Avatar :).
mbmbmbmbmb
Tanya I was born in Calgary and have the same thoughts as you do. However small town life is busy. Real busy. But we still make time for board games. We had a decision to have kids in our marriage, this proved a challenge to what we wanted out of gaming. Time now has become the enemy. No more 3 hour games. Always too tired to read rules. So a comprise we had to make. A family day for games.

We make time for games with the family. I believe that this is important. I get two weeks holiday a year..... I have three kids. This is not enough time for family. House dirty.. Too bad our kids have our time on Fridays. This is just how it is.

Online games... I do not like. I am an interactive person, I love face to face talking. Old fashioned?? maybe.

I wish you luck on your quest to seek out like minded people. It will be a challenge but it can be accomplished. Me and my wife Tamara have tried really hard to get a positive attitude towards games here in High River and it has taken a few years just to get it started.

Our Facebook page is here

https://www.facebook.com/1stHighRivergamingclub

All the best Tanya

Derek and Tamra Rowe..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Train gamer, Euro gamer and War gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tanya, it's too bad you are too far from Calgary and High River were you could join Derek's excellent group. We have several active large meetup.com groups and many small groups. However, you are lucky to be close to the Hat as I have met Tyler McLaughlin at this past year's Fallcon and he was a fantastic and very welcoming guy and gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete McCartney
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know a couple gamers in Coaldale, but that is closer to Lethbridge,

If you ever do make it up to Calgary I can hook you up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Krahn
Canada
Taber
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are interested in making the trek to Taber, I just started a gaming group at the Taber Public Library last month. We've only had two meet ups so far, but hope to continue and grow the group in the new year! You can join our facebook group to keep tabs on when we're meeting at the library!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1497556527165576/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
Shane, you're too kind. modest

The best thing about the club in The Hat is the people. I challenge anyone to find a better, more experienced and diverse group of people to game with. Go ahead, I dare ya!

Now, If I could just get them playing 18xx....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Fisher
Canada
flag msg tools
Google+ Board Games Link

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/10706587579913608758...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanya Egeland
Canada
Bow Island
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every now and then I DO go to Calgary (as that is where I am originally from, and most of my family/relatives are there). I would like to hear about future events, so please keep me posted. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanya Egeland
Canada
Bow Island
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in Calgary every now and then, just to visit family usually, but not on a regular basis. Is there such a thing as drop-in events?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanya Egeland
Canada
Bow Island
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Derek, That's so nice that you have a spouse that shares your love of games. Sadly, I don't even have that. :-) You also have an advantage with having children, as there will be a time when you can introduce them to board games if you haven't already, and before you know it, you will have a few new players and you've got your own built-in gaming community. ;-)

It sounds like you have your priorities in order too. ;-)

All the best to you and Tamra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OCDd_gamer wrote:
I'm in Calgary every now and then, just to visit family usually, but not on a regular basis. Is there such a thing as drop-in events?

http://www.meetup.com/boardgames-33/

Monday nights at the Sentry Box, etc..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Cordingley
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have nothing new to add to all of this awesome advice other than welcome to BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathalie
Canada
Calgary, AB /
Dieppe, NB
flag msg tools
badge
“A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for.” ― William G.T. Shedd
mbmbmbmbmb
OCDd_gamer wrote:

I second the link to the meetup group for Calgary events.

There are some drop in events. Weekdays - Monday Sentry Box. My place (ladies night) once a month on Thursdays... I'm sure there are others.

for weekend events - I highly recommend the Brentwood meetup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.