Subject: TTR Nederland without toll? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geert Meys
Belgium
Haacht
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
Me and my group, we love TTR. It's simple and it shines. What we don't like that much is all the extra rules with the expansions.

My question for this map is: Can you play it just like a regular TTR map with the core rules, leave the toll tokens out and use the globetrotter rule (most tickets = 15 points)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's right in the rules:

Quote:
No Bridge Toll Tokens
This map can also be played without using the Bridge Toll Tokens. When playing with 2 or 3 players and no Bridge Toll Tokens, only one of each Double-Route is in play, as in the standard Ticket to Ride.

The rules can be downloaded here:

DoW

and the relevant section is on top of the second column on page 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Meys
Belgium
Haacht
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
Thanks! I haven't bought it yet because of the extra rules, but now that I know, it will probably be added to the collection!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivelin Belchev
Bulgaria
Ruse
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was also put off by the tokens.

Can anyone please share their experience playing without the tokens? Is it any good? How does it compare to other TTR maps?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sacha S
Australia
Naracoorte
flag msg tools
The effect of the tokens seems to be that it gives the slowest player a massive advantage due to the extraordinarily high number of points it can generate - ie it is an overkill catch-up/overtake mechanism for the person who normally comes last, that enables him/her to come first instead fairly easily. This is good if there is a massive difference in skill levels, such as adults vs younger children, but if there is a minor difference it is too much.
We stopped playing with tokens for that reason but instead, because of the limitation of single track, frequently find that some or all of us end up completely blocked on several, sometimes all tickets. This most often happens if you have tickets from towns in the far South. You might say we should avoid these tickets, but last game I started with 3 of them, so it was impossible to avoid. The lower West cost also can block off quite easily. We had one game that was so clogged (haha - Dutch clogs, get it?) up that 2 players had negative scores, and the other won on only about 25 points. Notably and interestingly though, the trend since we stopped using the tokens, is for the most skillful player among us to win an even larger % of games than he does in other ticket to ride maps. (USA1910, Europe1912, Africa, India, Germany), except perhaps in Switzerland, where he also tends to sweep up.

Should this put anyone off getting TTR Nederland? NO, it's still a great game with loads of variety, loads of tension, and loads of fun. I'm glad we got it despite already having many other TTRs.
And by the way, we haven't tried using stations (from TTR Europe) in the Nederlands yet - it MAY yet be the best way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivelin Belchev
Bulgaria
Ruse
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your review. It's exactly what I wanted to know. From what you say it sounds like the TTR Europe stations are jst the thing needed to balance out the map without the toll tokens. We'll get the map and certainly try playing that way (after we give the original tokens a try). Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Have you tried no tolls with stations yet?

I'm wondering, would you use stations only in games which double routes are not open or all games when not using bridge tolls?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.