Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Kurzawa
United States
Omaha
NE
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So Mom's out for a visit and I pull down Lost Cities for some fun. I teach rules, not tactics, so I keep my mouth shut when she invests in all five expeditions. She'll learn. After a first round of minus 60-something she squints her eyes and revises her strategy. A game later she's scoring in the black, two games later she's beating me. But on the final game something absolutely beautiful happened. Early on I toss a yellow nine on the discard pile. I see her eyeing it suspiciously, but she doesn't snag it, so I bury it beneath two investments and some low numbers. She takes the bait! After picking up the low numbers I say: "Wow. You're really going to dig down there for that nine, eh?"

"You bet I am!"

She takes the first investment -- plays it, takes the second.

And then, right from under her nose, I steal that nine. A confused look crosses her face. You know how in war flicks when two soldiers are just sitting there having a smoke and chatting about food and chocolate, then suddenly one of them gets sniped mid-sentence, and his blood kind of spatters across the other guy's face? There's a moment of startled bewilderment -- disbelief. That was exactly her face! I love Mom, but I laughed and laughed.

Her game changed after that. She got a lot better suddenly; she realized in that moment that she wasn't playing by herself, that she had an opponent, and her opponent wanted to win.

Who says Lost Cities isn't confrontational?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Heberer
United States
Lake Stevens
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
My mom is very competitive, and had I done that to her, I wouldn't have gotten cake for a year when I visit her. I like my mom's cake...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Merten
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it to play nasty. So I love Lost Cities devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ah yes, so many times, when you hear, after explaining the rules, "okay, so it's just like we're both playing solitaire, right?" Riiiight....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.