Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy M
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, about to try and run my first game, read through a bunch of rules, watched the Rahdo run through and think I kinda get it. Just want to check a few details (sorry if some of them are a little basic);

Paranoia - what is the role of it? I can't find a definitive answer in the rule book. How does it work in the very first scenario?

Intrigue - Same as above really, can't seem to work out exactly what it does.

It says the loop ends if any of the protagonists die, but there are no specific character cards for the protagonists - does this just mean if any character in the game dies, the loop ends or have I missed something?

Also to clarify, the protagonists have to work out the lose conditions yes?

Thanks guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are really basic and important questions you're asking!

While all of your answers are in the rulebook, it's not that well-organized, and the concepts take a bit to wrap your head around at first. Try reading through this: Teaching script

The plot/subplot/incident will tell you when protagonists die. E.g. in the First Steps tragedy set, if the Hospital Incident triggers with 2 intrigue in the hospital, then the protagonists die and the loop ends.

It's useful for the protagonists to figure out what the loss conditions are, but not strictly necessary for them to win. When using the First Steps tragedy set, the protagonists must make it through an entire loop without triggering any loss conditions. When using Basic Tragedy, they can also win by surviving a loop; if they lose all the loops, they can still win by figuring out the roles of every character in the script.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'll try to avoid spoilerage as much as possible

wired84 wrote:

Paranoia - what is the role of it? I can't find a definitive answer in the rule book. How does it work in the very first scenario?

Usually paranoia will trigger Incidents (although it may have different uses according to roles). In the first scenario for example you have a Murder and a Suicide incident. In order for either of these to trigger, the culprits named on the Mastermind card for the incident must be at their paranoia limit when the incident is scheduled to take place. If not the incident does not happen.
Quote:

Intrigue is usually used for Mastermind abilities on characters or Incidents on locations. Look at the Killer and Key Person roles for an example.

As a general rule, Intrigue is almost always helpful only for the Mastermind; Paranoia on the other hand can go either way.
Quote:

It says the loop ends if any of the protagonists die, but there are no specific character cards for the protagonists - does this just mean if any character in the game dies, the loop ends or have I missed something?

The Protagonists are the Players. If any ability triggers in which the Protagonists die, the players lose that loop. They're not the same as the characters. Certain roles, for example Key Person, will end the loop in a loss if they die, others such as the Friend trigger other affects if they die.
Quote:

Work out and avoid them. I've had a couple of games in the first scenario where the Protagonists had identified the loss conditions but were still unable to prevent one occurring
In scenarios beyond the first the Protagonists can also win by correctly identifying the role of each character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Archonsod wrote:
In scenarios beyond the first the Protagonists can also win by correctly identifying the role of each character.

I think you meant "First Steps" scripts here, it's script 1 and 2, after those, role guessing is an option to win (3-10)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the help guys, we just had our first play through, it worked really well and we both seemed to get it. The wife is going to play mastermind next so we'll see how we get on from that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
wired84 wrote:

It is the prerequisite for Incidents to trigger. They also have other uses, but the most common is Indicents.

wired84 wrote:

Normally triggers loss conditions for the Protagonists.

wired84 wrote:

The protagonists are not represented on the board. If anything says it kills the protagonists, then the loop ends and the protagonists have lost.

wired84 wrote:

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.