Hide
4 Posts

1860: Railways on the Isle of Wight» Forums » Rules

Subject: Bankrupt and insolvency rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
newbie newbie
msg tools
When a insolvent company goes bankrupt, do it keep the "insolvency" status??

In order words, when it refloat, can it lease a train in its first Operation Round??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludwig Seitz
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The rules only give one condition for loosing the "insolvent" status, and that's buying a train. So by a rules-lawyer interpretation I'd say it keeps the status.

I would however be interested to hear the author's intention on how this should be handled ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InGA
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC We played that it was effectively a new company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutton
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rules_heretic wrote:
IIRC We played that it was effectively a new company.

The rules as written imply that the insolvency marker should be retained by he bankrupt company, and from that POV this should be the official interpretation. I'm guessing this is a popular approach.

However this was not the original intention - the idea was that the only difference between a new company and a refloated one was that the refloated company retained any trains/cash/tokens that it had before. In practice this meant that it did not retain the position of being insolvent as it was effectively a "new" company.

I have no problems with the either approach, and it is worth noting that keeping the insolvency marker does make the refloated company even more powerful than it would be otherwise, and they can be pretty powerful things. Since this is how things are in the rules, I would suggest the literal approach should probably be the "official" interpretation, with the original intention being a possible variant (with agreement of all the players).

Sorry for not covering this adequately in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.