Popular Tags: [View All]
David Phipps
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There seems to be some debate about how the rules for special investigations are interpreted. Here are the two ways:

A) Whoever is asking a question may also take an investigation card in front of another player but with no chips on it, and place both it and an investigation card drawn normally in front of the player he or she has chosen. (2 cards)
B) Rather than do a normal investigation, whoever is asking a question may take an investigation card in front of another player with no chips on it, and place it in front of the player he or she has chosen. (only 1 card)

The online rules in English under the Links section on BGG specify option A (with a footnote from the author/translator). I believe I was taught the game earlier this month using option B. Is there a verdict on which option is the correct one? Which option do you use and prefer for special investigations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sherwood
United States
Arundel
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played for the first time this evening with the one card option. It seems to me that this makes more sense. I might try the other way and see how it works. I wonder what others are doing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beth Raphael
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was taught option B only one card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I've only used B, but then I've mostly played with Joe and/or Aaron, one of whom made that note - as they say, the original interpretation was B.

Looking at the German rules, they seem somewhat ambiguoug. I think a really fluent German speaker is the only one who will be able to tell what they actually mean, or they may be ambiguous in the original as well. Here's what the rules say in section 4:

"Wenn jeder Spieler mindestens einmal befragt wurde und wenn mindestens sechs Ermittlungskarten ausgespielt sind, dürfen wahlweise auch Spezialermittlungen stattfinden, die das Spiel beschleunigen.

Wer dann nämlich mit dem Ermitteln an der Reihe ist, darf auch eine Ermittlungskarte nehmen, die bereits vor einem Spieler liegt und auf der keine Chips liegen, und sie zur weiteren Ermittlung vor einen anderen Spieler legen."

I think the first paragraph is clear, the second is the issue - what exactly does "zur weiteren" mean here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Becker
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the game quite a few times but we have always played option B (one card): take a card with no chips on it from another player and play the card on a different opponent instead. This card played a second time usually provides very valuable information.

I don't speak German so I am not too sure what the original rules imply.

Take care,
Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The correct way is just B.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Quote:
The online rules in English under the Links section on BGG specify option A (with a footnote from the author/translator). I believe I was taught the game earlier this month using option B. Is there a verdict on which option is the correct one? Which option do you use and prefer for special investigations?

As the one responsible for the confusion - I definitely recommend playing with rule B. But I'll try to get an opinion from a native German speaker next time I get the chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tool wrote:
"Wenn jeder Spieler mindestens einmal befragt wurde und wenn mindestens sechs Ermittlungskarten ausgespielt sind, dürfen wahlweise auch Spezialermittlungen stattfinden, die das Spiel beschleunigen.

Wer dann nämlich mit dem Ermitteln an der Reihe ist, darf auch eine Ermittlungskarte nehmen, die bereits vor einem Spieler liegt und auf der keine Chips liegen, und sie zur weiteren Ermittlung vor einen anderen Spieler legen."

I think the first paragraph is clear, the second is the issue - what exactly does "zur weiteren" mean here?

"zur weiteren Ermittlung" means "for further investigation" here. However, it isn't clear if this refers to the player, who can make further investigations (-> investigate 2x), or if this refers to the card, which can be reused for further investigation.

I think it can be read either way. The way I read it is that the players can decide to speed up the game (-> "das Spiel beschleunigen") by allowing special investigations. Since the intention of this optional rule is to speed up the game, I guess special investigations are in addition to normal investigations. However, I didn't play this game yet, so I cannot estimate well if this actually makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.