Isley
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how it is possible to build anything on the Fort Erie hex. Since it isn't a company start tile you can't put an initial tile onto it. Which means you have to connect to it and there aren't any yellow tiles that have 3 lines and a city. Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dieringer
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
why do you need three lines and a city? You do not need to connect to both entrances to buffalo (or either for that matter).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isley
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, so the connection points in the red areas don't have to have a track placed next to them. Ok, add that to the list of rules mistakes on our first game. I assumed they were like any other track and had to have connecting tracks placed next to them. I assume Goderich is an exception (ie you have to connect to its tracks if you place a tile next to it? But all the other red connection points do not have to be connected to if you place a tile next to them?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Take a look at

(Click for full-size to see the red hexes and the connections (or lack thereof).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dieringer
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
thrasymachus wrote:
Ah, so the connection points in the red areas don't have to have a track placed next to them. Ok, add that to the list of rules mistakes on our first game. I assumed they were like any other track and had to have connecting tracks placed next to them. I assume Goderich is an exception (ie you have to connect to its tracks if you place a tile next to it? But all the other red connection points do not have to be connected to if you place a tile next to them?)

You never have to connect track. The only requirement that I know of is when upgrding, you must honor existing track.

Look at the pick above, in the center there is a green tile with a link going into a yellow tile without a connection. That is perfectly legal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isley
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, that picture clears everything up. I guess if it isn't explicitly stated in the rules I shouldn't assume it is so. Also, from what I read, you still can't have a track end on a red (without offboard connections), dark green or named lake hex correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dieringer
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
thats right. Also, when I said you must honor previous connections, I meant only in the space you are upgrading. There are charts showing the legal upgrades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isley
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys! In retrospect a lot of our first game rules mistakes (see WHOOPS thread) were probably out of me trying to play the game like Railroad Tycoon (my only previous train game). Heh, they aren't exactly the same game eh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.