Szience Man
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played through a a dozen or so scenarios and I just want to clarify some rules:

1. If a monster says it's not defeated if the attack doesn't have the magic trait, does it require the card to say it adds the magic trait, or is it enough to just have magic listed on the card attributes in the left side? Ie. Is it defeated with a shorts word plus one?

2. Can I use an acolyte or aid to add a die to an attack for something like holy light? Ie. Would I roll D10 + 2D6 + D4 with the bard and acolyte?

I'm sure they'll be more... Thanks for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All quotes below are from the S&S rulebook, but the rules are much more clear there and can be used for RotR by simply ignoring the section on support cards (aka ships and stuff).

Szienceman wrote:
1. If a monster says it's not defeated if the attack doesn't have the magic trait, does it require the card to say it adds the magic trait, or is it enough to just have magic listed on the card attributes in the left side? Ie. Is it defeated with a shorts word plus one?

A check can get traits from a card in 3 ways:

First, if the card is played as the "Determine Which Skill You're Using" step of attempting a check, all the traits in the uppper left corner of the card become traits of the check.

S&S Rulebook p12 wrote:
Attemping A Check
Determine Which Skill You're Using Some cards may allow you to replace the required skill for a check with a different one. As part of this action, you may play only 1 card or use only 1 power that defines the skill you are going to use. When you play a card that does this, add that card’s traits to the check; for example, revealing the weapon Dragon Pistol for your combat check adds the Firearm, Ranged, Piercing, and Elite traits to the check...
Play Cards and Use Powers That Affect Your Check (Optional). Players may now play cards or use powers that affect your check... Do not add traits from these cards to the check; for example, playing the spell Aid on a check does not give the check the Divine trait.

Second, if the card explicitly says in the powers it adds a trait to the check.

Magic Weapon wrote:
When a weapon is played on a Combat check, discard this card to add 1d4 and the Magic trait to the check.

Third, the skill you use (and any skills it is based off) count as traits too.

S&S Rulebook p12 wrote:
Determine Which Skill You're Using ...Any skills you use are added as traits to the check. (For example, if your character has the skill Melee: Strength +2, and you use your Melee skill, both the Strength and the Melee trait are added to the check.)

So if you play a weapon (or any card) that says "For your combat check" and that weapon has the Magic trait, then the check has the Magic trait. But if you play a Weapon that doesn't have the Magic trait and someone else plays the spell Aid, the check still doesn't have the Magic trait because Aid doesn't "determine which skill you're using", it just "affects the check".

Then why, you might ask, do some cards that can only be played to "determine which skill you're using" have the traits in both the list of traits for the card and in the powers of the card? (Such as Scorching Ray having the Fire trait and saying to add the Fire trait.) This will answer that.

Szienceman wrote:
2. Can I use an acolyte or aid to add a die to an attack for something like holy light? Ie. Would I roll D10 + 2D6 + D4 with the bard and acolyte?

Yes. Anyone playing Holy Light is making a Divine check (either by the trait from the card or by the skill they are using) so the Acolyte could be played by the person playing Holy Light to affect that check and add 1d4 to it.

S&S Rulebook p12 wrote:
Play cards and use powers that affect the check (optional) ...If, on your character card, the skill you’re using refers to another skill, both skills count for the purpose of determining the type of check. For example, if you’re using the Arcane skill on a combat check, and your character card says that your Arcane skill is Intelligence +2, the check counts as both a combat Arcane check and a combat Intelligence check. Traits also determine the type of check; for example, if you’re attempting a combat check and you played a weapon that added the Ranged trait, it counts as a Ranged combat check.

You might find this guide helpful.

Welcome to PACG and good luck on your adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Szience Man
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the thorough answer. I'm grateful for your expertise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.