Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Diemer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the "health potion of doom" type of humor that this game supplies.

I figured most of you that are on this page would like it as well so I was wondering what other games you have found that are like this. As far as I know, I didn't see any tags or indicators where I could sort for whatever this type of comical humor is called. I kind of like corny games but the gameplay still has to be stellar for me to play. The combination, however, elevates the game to a whole other level in my book.

So, can any one else help me find other games with this type of humor? I wasn't really sure where else to put this as I didn't want a lot of comments from people in the General BGG forum section that didn't appreciate games like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Garcia Ballester
France
Grenoble
flag msg tools
badge
Across Space and Time
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Super Fantasy: Ugly Snouts Assault (and thus Super Fantasy: Night of the Badly Dead)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Munchkin. However, I despise the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Helme
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Fighter is a great game with this type of humor!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Diemer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
Munchkin. However, I despise the game.

Yeah, I'm trying to sell my munchkin zombies. For me, humor alone can never make a bad game good. I do have a lot of good games, and it is easy to find those, I just want to find really good, humorous games.

I'll have to take a look at those, thanks guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Martin
United States
Lacey
WA
flag msg tools
Check out my Hollenguard book series on Amazon!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crimson_Phoenix wrote:
Dungeon Fighter is a great game with this type of humor!

Seconded.

You might find Dungeon Lords and Dungeon Petz fun as well. The humor is less individual jokes and puns, and more the 'attitude' of the games, but it's definitely there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Brasher
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
HER!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fnar wrote:
You might find Dungeon Lords and Dungeon Petz fun as well. The humor is less individual jokes and puns, and more the 'attitude' of the games, but it's definitely there.

+1. Just got the Happy Anniversary edition and the rule book and flavour text made us chortle. Check out their website for rulebooks. As for gameplay, it's got shed loads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Diemer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rillian wrote:
Fnar wrote:

+1. Just got the Happy Anniversary edition and the rule book and flavour text made us chortle. Check out their website for rulebooks. As for gameplay, it's got shed loads.

Dungeon Petz is actually my next game I'm purchasing, supposedly CoolStuffInc say they will have it early 2015, which I'll buy along with Alchemists.

I never really considered Dungeon Lords for some reason, although now I'll also look into that one.

Thanks again guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Diemer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked into Dungeon Lords, but for reasons I described in this thread, I'm not entirely sure it would be for me. I moved the discussion over there because I thought I would get more comments from Dungeon Lords players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Ruckersville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I almost picked up dungeon petz for the family for xmas this year.. but held off, I think it will be a hit for us in a few years...

That said I have not played as 'tight' a game as AoD. Mechanics are simple and brilliant. A select few games in my collection scream to be played every time I see them on the shelf and AoD is one of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think that many of the cge games have a nice sense of humor.
Dungeon Petz and Dungeon Lords have been mentioned, but also Galaxy Trucker and Alchemists really have very humerous aspects to them as well as Last Will, although those really have different themes and are not so much fantasy as the "Dungeon" ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Diemer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, I never gave Galaxy Trucker much of a second thought because it seemed overly complex and I'm not sure that my wife would like it, but I will now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Martin
United States
Lacey
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stowed4sea wrote:
You know, I never gave Galaxy Trucker much of a second thought because it seemed overly complex and I'm not sure that my wife would like it, but I will now.

Galaxy Trucker isn't complex. The first time you explain it to someone, there's a short learning curve where they have to know what each ship piece does. I teach it where a new player can pause the game by setting the timer on its side and ask the table to remind them what a piece they've uncovered does. We explain, they tip the timer back up, and we're going again.

After you grok assembling your ship, the game flies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Brasher
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
HER!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have been thinking there must be a better way to find the info you are after, did some searching and... found there is a Humor category on the Geek and have asked for Dungeon Lords and this game to be added to that category, hopefully when people search the Humor catagory now they will find these games If any one else finds any others, add them on the game page by clicking on the correction section on the top right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Diemer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rillian wrote:
Have been thinking there must be a better way to find the info you are after, did some searching and... found there is a Humor category on the Geek and have asked for Dungeon Lords and this game to be added to that category, hopefully when people search the Humor catagory now they will find these games If any one else finds any others, add them on the game page by clicking on the correction section on the top right!

Awesome, thanks. I'll have to take a look at this later tonight when I'm on my night shift, which I work the next three nights(12 hours)

The good news is that during nights, nothing is going on with the power grid, so I get to play Robinson Crusoe and die a lot or surf BGG all night, so there are some good things too!

Fnar wrote:
stowed4sea wrote:

Galaxy Trucker isn't complex. The first time you explain it to someone, there's a short learning curve where they have to know what each ship piece does. I teach it where a new player can pause the game by setting the timer on its side and ask the table to remind them what a piece they've uncovered does. We explain, they tip the timer back up, and we're going again.

After you grok assembling your ship, the game flies.

Yeah, I watched the runthrough again, I'm not sure why I thought this in the first place. I think it would be a ton of fun to watch my spaceship get blown apart and the tile building in the beginning isn't as complex as it first looked.

I imagined my wife originally trying to learn this game because sometimes she gets overwhelmed when learning a new game in this way because she has to learn what all the tiles mean, but looking closer, it appears much simpler than I thought it was originally, I'm not sure why I thought it was so complicated.

Thanks again, I would have hated to miss out on that game. I just bought the anniversary edition from CoolStuffInc! So excited!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Martin
United States
Lacey
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have fun!

With everything you've said, I recommend separating out the base game components for your first learning games with your wife. The Anniversary Edition wisely comes with the base instructions and expansion instructions separated, with a handy index of ship pieces for each individual set on the back page of the book.

You can add more ship pieces and various decks once you both have a good grasp on the basic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Diemer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fnar wrote:
Have fun!

With everything you've said, I recommend separating out the base game components for your first learning games with your wife. The Anniversary Edition wisely comes with the base instructions and expansion instructions separated, with a handy index of ship pieces for each individual set on the back page of the book.

You can add more ship pieces and various decks once you both have a good grasp on the basic game.

Thanks, but I like doing this normally for even simple games. Usually, I don't even play with expansion packs until I've played the base game so much that the expansions sitting on my shelf start to itch my curiosity. Granted with my small, growing collection, that I've only ever had two expansions(Race for the Galaxy and Agricola), but it has worked so far and I see no reason to change.

I've also started to only play the most basic game, with simplified rules if they are offered. Agricola has taught me the hard way. Agricola was my first ever real board game(I jumped there from Settlers of Catan) and when I first started teaching myself the rules, I said "Family version is for losers" and proceeded stumbling my way through what was probably 10 games before I probably played it correctly(dragging my wife along the whole time). The whole time, I never asked anybody any questions or thought to look up a video, I just mucked my way through it. After that experience, I even read directions for putting together furniture from IKEA and always teach myself the easy way of every board game first.

You could say that I'm hard-headed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.