Jesse Miller
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Punk Rock Warlord
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered a copy of Railroad Tycoon from these "people" on 08/26/2006 via a buy it now button in their ebay store. I paid on 08/29/2006 using paypal. I paid 13 for 3-5 day ups shipping.

I waited two weeks--no game. I sent an email and they replied that it had been shipped, and that sometimes it took a little longer than the quote. I continued to wait.

After another week, I sent another email asking what was going on. This was not replied to.

I called the phone number on their paypal account. The woman at that number said that no-one had gotten their orders, as they had been held up at the factory. She also said that the ebay person had nothing to do with the brick and morter store, and that she'd have her call me.

The ebay person called later that day, and we negotiated a return of my money. It was refunded via paypal the next day.

Three days later they took out a non-paying bidder complaint against me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet another thread showing why I think we should have some kind of 'rate the merchant' system.

I'm just afraid it would be too easily manipulated by people woth ulterior motives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"

Yeah, #1, it's against EBay rules to sell anything they don't have. An Auction isn't a pre-order mechanism. I'd report them to Ebay, and have them ban this user.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch, that is terrible. Hopefully you can resolve the situation with ebay and not have the negative on your record. As for these people, I'll be sure to steer clear. Thanks for the heads up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see why anyone buys games from Ebay other than those impossible to get anywhere else. It's not worth even $50 savings for the potential hassle of not getting what you bought, and having to deal with all the crap that follows. Get it from Funagain and save yourself $100 in time and headaches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Norton
United States
Seymour
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
I don't see why anyone buys games from Ebay other than those impossible to get anywhere else. It's not worth even $50 savings for the potential hassle of not getting what you bought, and having to deal with all the crap that follows. Get it from Funagain and save yourself $100 in time and headaches.

I will use eBay to buy locally. I recently got memoir for $20 and War of the Ring for $25 this way. And no shipping!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Iverson
United States
Ripon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No surprise, its mostly RRT that he is selling that is not being delivered.
You should definitely complain to EBAY.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jensen
United States
Perry
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to say this is why you should always buy at your FLGS! devil But that isn't the issue. It looks like this seller got caught being ill-informed about Eagle Games and was selling product on order rather than actual inventory. The seller took quite the beating on Railroad Tycoon it seems.

If I were searching for a product I knew was in short/limited supply like RRT is then I would be sure to shoot an email and confirm with the seller the status of the product. Like your phone call, it removes the danger of the eBay wannabees and gives you peace of mind. This is doubly important when seeing the past negative feedback this particular seller had against them.

Sorry about your misfortune! Hope you've found RRT elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same problem. I did end up getting the game however in the end. After I filed a paypal dispute after the game hadn't shown up in FIVE weeks after I paid for it. The day before the 10 day seller limit on paypal claims in which I would have received my money back, they replied with a tracking number (Which I had asked about several times over the course of the month).

The game finally showed up on my doorstep. But in all the interim, I was sure I wouldn't get it. So I had purchased from Funagain right after I filed my claim (Wanted to make sure I got a copy and wasn't sure how long their stock would last).

Anyway, now I have two copies. I'm extremely annoyed about that. But I figure I'll trade it some time down the road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
That IS bad. Have you contacted them regarding the non-paying bidder complaint? It might be the result of a miscommunication. A lot of those eBay/PayPal things can be done automatically, so if a computer saw that there was no payment received for the auction, it might have flagged that process.

Either that, or the person who negotiates returns doesn't talk to the person who keeps up with the auctions....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One word...

CRAIGSLIST

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Miller
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Punk Rock Warlord
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
That IS bad. Have you contacted them regarding the non-paying bidder complaint? It might be the result of a miscommunication. A lot of those eBay/PayPal things can be done automatically, so if a computer saw that there was no payment received for the auction, it might have flagged that process.

Either that, or the person who negotiates returns doesn't talk to the person who keeps up with the auctions....

Yeah, I called them yesterday before I posted; the woman at the store said that it was "policy" and that it didn't reflect on me at all.

Actually, I called a couple days ago when they first filed the complaint and was told they'd get back to me. They didn't call, and I had to phone them again (this is long distance to Arizona from PA)

The plot thickens, however. They sent a copy of Railroad Tycoon. It showed up at my house yesterday after I posted the above diatribe.

WTF do I do now? wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nairb Attobas
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yossarians wrote:
Verkisto wrote:

Yeah, I called them yesterday before I posted; the woman at the store said that it was "policy" and that it didn't reflect on me at all.

Actually, I called a couple days ago when they first filed the complaint and was told they'd get back to me. They didn't call, and I had to phone them again (this is long distance to Arizona from PA)

The plot thickens, however. They sent a copy of Railroad Tycoon. It showed up at my house yesterday after I posted the above diatribe.

WTF do I do now? wow

Keep it.

It's their error. They already put you through enough. Let them reap what they sow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Yim
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you keep the game, then the non-paying bid complaint will be true. I would pay for the game, but only if you are guaranteed that the complaint will be retracted and will not affect your eBay record (I don't know how these complaints work). If not, offer to ship it back to them at their expense.

I always find it best not to stoop to the level of shady or incompetent dealers. Unless they specifically offer the game for free as an apology (doubtful), then just return it or complete the deal, walk away and never buy from them again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.