Subject: Games that play best with 3, that are not bland or too heavy. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Fletcher

Baltimore
Maryland
msg tools
Hello, thanks for reading this.

I am looking for a game that is not too heavy, but also has some interesting mechanics and play interaction. It is definitely a bonus if the game looks nice or has a great theme. I am looking to play the game with my Mom and wife. My wife has really only played twilight struggle, but loves the game to death. It would be cool if the game could expand to include others for our Christmas get together too. I know it is a tough order, but I appreciate the help.

We don't like games like Carcossone, its a little bland. Lately my favorite games have been Cyclades, Spyfall, Cosmic Encounters, etc. A co-op would be alright too if it is co-op like Alcatraz the escape goat board game.

Thanks and happy holidays!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Impulse.

Best with 3, variable player powers, short but thinky, can seat up to 6 (though people seem to say it's not great with 6 unless you use the team rules). And it has some of the Cyclades dynamic where there's a whole big map board but there's a lot going on even when no combat is taking place.

Disclaimer: I've only played it twice. But am stoked to play more (and the 'best with 3' isn't just me; seems to be the consensus).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does not play best with three, but I love Cosmic Encounter with 3, although many will disagree. Not a bland theme at all. (I know it is on your list, just wanted to throw my vote in).

Maybe try a coop like Ghost Stories, Tiny Epic Kingdoms, Sentinels of the Multiverse (which might be on sale tomorrow at Amazon), etc.

A little heavier, but I don't think that Merchant of Venus is too hard to explain, and can be a blast with 3.

Just played Five Tribes with 3, and it is a blast. Not good if you have players who agonize over every decision.

El Gaucho is hard to get a hold of, but is a dice-based set collection game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas Ylikoski
Finland
kauhajoki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Small World? It is not too heavy, is a fun family game and scales wonderfully from 2 up to 5 players. It also has lots of replayability because of the random race-ability combinations. It has a cartoony fantasy theme so if that is fine with you, I would definitely recommend it. Plus it looks magnificent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since your wife's enjoying Twilight Struggle, I'll suggest a couple of longer, meatier games that you can still teach in 15 minutes:

Genoa is a unique game in that literally any thing that's not printed on the board can be traded. It's terrible with two, but very good with 3-5.

Railways of the World is a fantastic sandbox railroad building game. You start the game with no money, but you can take as much debt to build as fast and as far as you care to (the debt, of course, will hurt later). The base game comes with the Mexico map (best with 2-3) and the Eastern US map (best with 4-6). The Europe and Canada maps are excellent with 3 if you want to expand it. It isn't the best 2-player game out of the box, but a couple of 2p variants are playable.

Russian Railroads is solid with 3-4, and still plays well with two. It's a bit abstract compared to Railways, but it plays very quickly, with a good amount of tension and fun.

If you want to look at more standard (dry analytics with more pasted-on themes), Vikings, Notre Dame, and Puerto Rico are both excellent with three and worth trying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Genghis_Khan wrote:

We don't like games like Carcossone, its a little bland. Lately my favorite games have been Cyclades, Spyfall, Cosmic Encounters, etc. A co-op would be alright too if it is co-op like Alcatraz the escape goat board game.

I really enjoy Acquire with 3. I also really like Cyclades and Cosmic Encounters, and I hate Carcassone. So maybe you'll fall in love with Acquire, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bull
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Castles of Mad King Ludwig is great with 3. Down time occurs simultaneously and most players I've played it with at this number actually wanted it to go on even longer.

Playing Ghost Stories with 3 is ok, but 4 is the optimal; I've not yet gotten used to playing with an empty player's power.

Alien Frontiers seems to be optimal with 3 also. Great mechanics and the theme.

Quantum is good with 3 or 4. You can change up the board to suit the player count.

Eldritch Horror and Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island are also sublime with 3 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So...why do they have these overtext things anyway?
badge
This is what I really look like. Really. Actually, it was clip art borrowed from the internet
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindu wrote:
Genghis_Khan wrote:

I really enjoy Acquire with 3. I also really like Cyclades and Cosmic Encounters, and I hate Carcassone. So maybe you'll fall in love with Acquire, too.

+1 for Acquire.

Also, consider Steam or Brass.

Caylus is easy to explain, but has very deep, meaty gameplay. Reprint should be out any day now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Synowiec
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
GameplayerOfTitan wrote:
Castles of Mad King Ludwig is great with 3. Down time occurs simultaneously and most players I've played it with at this number actually wanted it to go on even longer.

Playing Ghost Stories with 3 is ok, but 4 is the optimal; I've not yet gotten used to playing with an empty player's power.

Alien Frontiers seems to be optimal with 3 also. Great mechanics and the theme.

Quantum is good with 3 or 4. You can change up the board to suit the player count.

Eldritch Horror and Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island are also sublime with 3 players.

I second Alien Frontiers I recently played as a 3 player game it was very tightly done. With the space blocking it does force your hand and your opponents when the spaces are locked out a lot more easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
Aren't a lot of Michael Schacht games rated best with 3? Like China or Web of Power?

I enjoyed Acquire with 3 as well as the posters above.

In a lot of threads I see people saying Le Havre is best with 3. Maybe too heavy for mom though?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought is that 7 Wonders works best with 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kay Lee
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really love castles of mad king ludwig and ticket to ride nordic for 3 players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Alien Frontiers especially with the expansion. Myrmes is also another possibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favourite 2-3 player games is The Road to Canterbury. Players are con men selling fake pardons to the pilgrims on their way to Canterbury. Of course, you can't sell pardons if they haven't sinned, so you get to tempt them into committing the Seven Deadly Sins.

But, be wary of your competition. Nothing worse than loading a pilgrim up with sins to have someone else sell them the pardons and make a ton of money. Also, the more sins a pilgrim has, the closer they are to death, and a dead pilgrim pays no money.

The artwork and components are top notch. Play is easy to learn (in my opinion) and makes sense.

Good luck with your search.

Edit: Didn't see your request for a game that could accomodate more than three, which this game won't do. But it is a fantastic 2-3 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marena Tiano
United States
Arlington
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing Russian Railroads a lot lately. It plays well with 2,3, or 4. It is a worker placement game and there is never enough time to do everything you want to do. Timing is key to the game and optimizing one's actions.

I haven't taught this to anyone yet, but I think you could do it in about 15 minutes if the learner has some experience with playing games.

Another good Worker Placement is Stone Age which is usually a hit with people that don't game much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fletcher

Baltimore
Maryland
msg tools
Thanks for all the great advice. This board truly never lets me down. Board gaming has been an awesome experience and a fantastic community.

I am thinking about picking up Acquire as it seems to be the game everyone recommends. I just missed out on playing Alien Frontiers at a board gaming meetup on a business trip to El Paso. They were about 30 mins in when I arrived.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael W.
Germany
Böblingen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops, Kemet and Seasons also work very well with 3 players. Cyclades and Kemet should fit your bill since you like Cyclades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Cunha
Norway
Lysaker
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sorry for sidetracking the topic, but why do the games have to play best at 3, or did you mean best 3 player games?

A game that plays best at 3 is not necessarily a better 3 player game than another game that plays best at 4 or 5. Either that or I don't understand what "plays best at 3" means.

On-topic: I agree with Cosmic Encounter and Small World. I would also add Ticket to Ride: Europe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Belfort is great with three, not too complex, and certainly nice-looking.

Keyflower is a bit heavier, but also a good choice.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Norman
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3-player only, and great games to boot:

Maria
1944: Race to the Rhine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Pedro Cotrim
Portugal
Coimbra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snorman wrote:

Maria

Great games, but might be a bit too heavy for what the OP's after.

San Marco is the best 3 player medium and definitely not bland game I own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Simcoe (Norfolk)
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of Citadels for 3 people, and it has the bonus of playing quite quickly -- usually around half an hour, but it's a dense, tense half hour.

Since your wife loves Twilight Struggle, I'll also suggest Successors (third edition). It's a multiplayer CDG in the style of Twilight that plays best with 3 or 4. Not quite as dense rules wise, although I'll warn you the rulebook itself makes things look very complicated. Once you figure the game out, however, it's less difficult than Twilight and a lot of fun.

There's a potential downside to it, though: it's long, clocking in at over 3 hours for a short game. Not sure if that's possible for you and yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
"Yeah I killed women and children, killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another and I'm here to kill you Little Bill"
badge
"It's a Sicilian message. It means Luci Brasi sleeps with the fishes."
mbmbmbmbmb
sdougla2 wrote:
My first thought is that 7 Wonders works best with 3.

The genius of 7 Wonders is that it plays just as fast and furiously with 7 as it does with 3.

Unless you're playing with Chatty McChatterson, Analyisis McParalysis or Slowly McSlowerson, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
"Yeah I killed women and children, killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another and I'm here to kill you Little Bill"
badge
"It's a Sicilian message. It means Luci Brasi sleeps with the fishes."
mbmbmbmbmb
snorman wrote:

Maria

Maria is the one of the best three player games I have ever played. Although I have only played it with 4, I suspect Maria's older brother, Friedrich, would be pretty good with 3 as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders plays just as fast with 7 as with 3, but it is not as good a strategy game with 7 as it is with 3. Randomness plays a larger role, but more importantly the incentives for military don't work as well at higher player counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.