Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason -
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CMGs have occasionally piqued my interest and I have tried (e.g., Mage Knight) or have picked up starters (e.g., LOTR hex by Sabertooth) for some, but have been frustrated by them due to burdensome game play and the investment needed to amass a playable collection. I tried the online demo of Dreamblade and liked it a lot. The blend of CMG variability (you select your warband) and game board structure/order was intriguing (miniatures rules are generally too “loose” for me --I don’t want to have to pull out a tape measure and argue about range and line of sight). I don’t, however, want to make an insane investment in the game; I don’t have the time or interest to be a “competitive” Dreamblader at my FLGS. What I would like to have is an enjoyable game with some decent variability that I can occasionally play with friends who don’t own the game. My thinking is that I’m willing to drop a $100-$150 on the game and with that could own one of every uncommon and common (with some random common duplicates). I get to that by figuring $40 for two starters (giving me two sets of rules, dice and extra “board” on top of the figures included), a few (4?) boosters at $10 a piece, and then buying a full set of commons and any missing uncommons on eBay. Since, as I said, I’d pick up a few boosters, there’d be a few rares, but good or bad would be decided by the CMG gods.

So, with a pool of all commons (plus several duplicates) and all uncommons from which two people could “draft” from to play against each other, is this still a worthwhile game, or does it fall flat without the pricey rares?

(Wow, this was a long winded posted, sorry about that.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Adey
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I`m with you on this game as far as spending a huge amount of money is concerned.

I`m in the UK so prices for this stuff are higher, but I have got a good spread of pieces from a starter, and 7 boosters, and about 20 singles. All the singles bought are commons or uncommons. Playing a sort of draft game is fun and it won`t be the case of the richest player winning.

If you likedthe demo, I cane you to get the real thing.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The pool of commons creates an excellent game for a group. You probably can't go into a tournament, but if you never plan to (I don't), theres a great game to love (I do).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Frantz
United States
Wenatchee
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is a tough one....i have taken the route you describe (2 starters, about 4 bosters, and filled in my commons and a few choice uncommons as singles). It's a pretty decent pool of dudes. It provides enough variety to play some enjoyable games with my 7 year old son.....however, you do lose out on a lot of the fun that comes with warband construction, synergies of pieces, etc. It can get kinda frustrating where you realize you are only playing half of a game. If you think you are the kind of person who would get really frustrated by this, you may just want to skip the whole thing entirely....otherwise you will slide down the slippery slope that WotC has set up for you...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Cubberley
United Kingdom
Luton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have built a competitive (for our small local tourneys anyway) warband that does not contain any rares, so your plan of action will work fine IMO. This game seems to be that the rares are the cool quirky pieces (Scarab Warcharm aside), whereas the commons and uncommons are the warband staples, and where a lot of your power will lie.
You'll be fine doing what you suggested, and its almost exactly what I did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruton
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I used to fund my games purchases by juggling!
mbmbmbmbmb
Was talking about cost with the manager of our local store when he asked if I would be up for running a small tournament. We were amazed to find that entry was £5 to include a booster and a starter (albeit in a bag rather than a box). There was even a small amount of prize support too! Consider that a starter is £18 and a booster £10, this was an amzing steal. Really enjoy the game and agree as a limited draft it is an excellent way to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kowalczyk
United States
Somonauk
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if its just me or what.... but I purchased a starter kit 3 boosters and 4-5 rares on ebay and still know I must purchase a set of commons and preferrably also uncommons to make this game entertaining for the months/years ahead. So I've spent $100 or so and must spend more to make this game replayable for the long term. Honestly even though the game is good I wish I would have passed on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
ted_k27 wrote:
Honestly even though the game is good I wish I would have passed on it.

Yeah, me too . . .

(As I continue to spend money on new boosters . . .)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Count Ringworm
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonathan bruton wrote:
Was talking about cost with the manager of our local store when he asked if I would be up for running a small tournament. We were amazed to find that entry was £5 to include a booster and a starter (albeit in a bag rather than a box). There was even a small amount of prize support too! Consider that a starter is £18 and a booster £10, this was an amzing steal. Really enjoy the game and agree as a limited draft it is an excellent way to play.

isn't this how drug dealers get you started? offer something cheap/free, and you're hooked

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Barkå
Sweden
Solna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to have a chance in tournaments the game will cost you, but otherwise there is no reason you couldn't play the game for years with only a set of commons and uncommons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.