Subject: Card Draw variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blake Morris
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
This size viola da gamba is like a cello with frets. I started playing at age 48.
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to record the variant in card drawing suggested in the Heavy Cardboard podcast available here on the Geek. When you take an action to draw a unification or separation card, draw 3 and discard 2. (I put the discards face up on the bottom of the deck and re-shuffle as necessary.) This will usually prevent the player from drawing a card for which he has no use (e.g., for which he cannot satisfy the prerequisite).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, we heard the podcast and that sounds like a workable house rule. You would need to think of what to do in the case of Sima Yi of Wei taking the Import Technology action.

Sima Yi
Reverence – When Sima Yi takes the “import technology action”, he draws 1 state enhancement card from both the Separation and Unification decks instead.

From memory, that is the only general that is affected by this house rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Morris
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
This size viola da gamba is like a cello with frets. I started playing at age 48.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just let that player draw three of each and discard two of each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Helmer
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group also wondered if an improved draw for state enhacement could alleviate wasted actions due to a poor draw. We felt that drawing three cards might be too much; burning the decks too fast and getting exactly what you want each time might be ultimately harmful to game balance. I propose trying a single card extra draw (discarding one) from each deck allowed (thus not weakening Sima Yi's power) OR after a regular draw, you may discard one unbuilt card from your hand to draw from the same deck as the discarded card. We have not tried either method, as of yet, but will report our thoughts upon trying them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drake
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity... Why not do a TTR draw variant. Have 3 cards face up from each deck and allow players to draw blindly if they choose. May even add more depth as players become aware of what has been taken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Helmer
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... I like this idea, I'll try it our next game. Of my proposed changes above, we have settled on the method of drawing as per normal, and allowing one discard from your hand to draw an additional card from the same deck, which has a good feel and balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Helmer
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried the three card draw, but found two drawbacks - 1) a surprising amount of additional time spent deciding on an action that previously took none 2) required more space, which was already at a premium with the large board and player spreads. It was cool, but we have gone back to our draw as
normal, allow one discard, redraw from deck of card discarded. Seems to work really well - fewer wasted actions, but not burning through the decks lightning fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugues Richard
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
What matters in life is not the triumph nor the struggle but the triumph by tie breaker.
mbmbmbmbmb
Any boost to this action space also makes Guo Jia, Hao Zhao, Lu Su and some others indirectly but definitively better while reducing the competition for the "original" training space and to some stretched extend, battle oriented generals and the direct point action emperor space. Spending a SEC to draw more also affects the balance of construction timing between both decks since most Separation Enhancements have impossible to meet prerequisites in late game. The solution is drawing from the Unification deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dvonn Yinsh
Canada
Etobicoke
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Our group is 5 games in, so still early in discovering this game. Our opinion is to not play with a card draw variant. Part of Shu's balance mechanism is that he starts with 3 separations to Wei's 1. Drawing extra cards would really boost Wei even more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Morier
Canada
Beloeil
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if I found the space that allows players to draw card not that bad because you can spend 1 rice to train up to 2 armies, I agree that it can be frustrating to draw a card that is useless because of the prerequisites.

I have not try this variant but what about drawing only 1 card, if it has prerequisites that makes it impossible for you to built, show it to the other players, discard it and draw again until you draw a card that can be built.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugues Richard
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
What matters in life is not the triumph nor the struggle but the triumph by tie breaker.
mbmbmbmbmb
See, you got it all wrong. This is not the space where you draw cards and optionally train armies. This is the space where you can train armies with administration skills which happens to lend you 1 card. Shu has barely any use for it and already faces an uphill battle. Making that space an auto-buildable separation heaven will undoubtedly brake the game. Draw separation and whine or play safe/smart and draw unification. This goes with balance and theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Yves Moyen
Denmark
København
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree with Hugues. In this game, the SE you play with are the ones you start with, not the ones you draw on turn 6 or 7… You may have a good surprise with early draws, but that's it.

Anyway, without specific generals, you're probably going to build 3 or 4 SE maximum. Make your choice from your starting SE and build your strategy accordingly. Wei regularly builds more (because of the administrative strength given by Cao Cao), but Wei is anyway the state that need to Hire Instructor more often (because, again, of its administrative focus). And yes, Hao Zhao without Sima Yi is hard to optimise.

And yes, from turn 3 or 4 onward, don't draw from the deck with requirements. Or blame yourself for taking unnecessary risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.