Hide
7 Posts

The Resistance: Hidden Agenda & Hostile Intent» Forums » Rules

Subject: Reverser and M4 in a 7+ player game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stress Tube
msg tools
In a 7+ player game, mission 4 requires two fails for the spies. Is that still in effect for a Reverser game? The rules do not mention anything about how Reverse interacts with mission 4.

My interpretation: If PASS PASS FAIL REVERSE comes up, since there aren't two fails, this would normally have meant Resistance gets a point, therefore the Reverse means the Spies get a point. Please confirm that is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree with your interpretation. Calculate the mission results without the reverse cards, then reverse once for each reverse cards present. The alternative would make M4 very hard to fail in 7-9p as you'd need both normal spies on. They probably should have included a M4 example in the rules to be clear though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Wilson
United Kingdom
Saltash
Cornwall
flag msg tools
I think the spies would need to either make sure they fail two previous missions so that they can get away with letting M4 succeed, or somehow try and communicate to each other to get two normal spies on the mission without the reverser.

One thing I do wonder is what would happen if SUCCESS REVERSE REVERSE FAIL came up. That would obviously fail a normal mission, but would it fail M4.

Also, I've noticed hostile intent apparently comes with only 4 normal character cards that aren't part of a module. I'm wondering if this suggests that the two reverser cards should only really be used in a game of 5-6 players (i.e. 3-4 character cards + 2 reversers), where no 'two-fail' missions are played. The Hunter module doesn't need any more than 4 normal cards as it has 10 of its own that can be used together, and the Inquisitor can be used with base game character cards as it's just a single token!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
falks941 wrote:
Also, I've noticed hostile intent apparently comes with only 4 normal character cards that aren't part of a module. I'm wondering if this suggests that the two reverser cards should only really be used in a game of 5-6 players...

Hidden Adgenda also has some extra normal character cards (well the Kickstarter one does). With the KS edition I think that's so that you combine Hidden Agenda + Hostile Intent normal characters & you can play using only newly printed cards. Useful if you've not sleeved the base cards or there's a noticble difference in color of the card backs (which there isn't with mine).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
falks941 wrote:
One thing I do wonder is what would happen if SUCCESS REVERSE REVERSE FAIL came up. That would obviously fail a normal mission, but would it fail M4.

I'd rule it was a success - Success, Fail = Success. Reversed twice = Success.

This also means that 3x Success + Reverse = Fail so you could get a mission 4 fail with the only information gained being that there was a reverser on the mission, which is massively less info than a failed M4 would usually give.

It's be nice to have official confirmation whether this is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Eskridge
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For every Reverse card played, the final result of the mission is reversed. Thus:

-If no Sabotage but one Reverse was played: the mission is now a failure.

-If no Sabotage but two Reverses were played: the mission is still a success.

-If a Sabotage and a Reverse were played: the mission is now a success.

-If a Sabotage and two Reverses were played: the mission is still a failure.

The 4th mission for 7-10p follows the same rules, but add an extra Sabotage. If just one Sabotage is played, you already know it's not a failed mission. But if a Sabotage and a Reverse are played, then it's now a failed mission. Following, if two Sabs and a Reverse were played, it's now a Success. I hope that helps.

To answer the specific question: One thing I do wonder is what would happen if SUCCESS REVERSE REVERSE FAIL came up. That would obviously fail a normal mission, but would it fail M4?

No, it would not fail M4 for 7-10p, because the two Reverses cancel each other out, leaving just the Fail. As you know two Fails are needed for the Spies to win M4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Qu├ębec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
Looks like 28 is coming in this year!
mbmbmbmbmb
This very situation (7p M4 Pass Pass Fail Reverse) just occured in PBF 181 and thanks to Don we got this cleared.

Initially we thought that the result would be a Pass but managed to get the correct ruling in time and be able to continue the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.