Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike McCollum
United States
Plymouth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have developed Aviation (move colonists anywhere) and have Russia as your civilization (don't lay a colonist down when exploring), would you be able to generate infinite money by simply moving a colonist back and forth between two unoccupied islands on the board? This situation came up in a two player game where there were two open islands on the printed board (no tile covering them) although presumably it could work on a tile as well if you elect not to place a city.

If you have the appropriate technologies developed you would make 2 gold every turn at a minimum (and 3 or 4 if you have Medicine and at least one open Wheat resource). So basically you automatically win if this scenario comes up if I am interpreting the synergy correctly (and if you don't have medicine or a wheat island open you can at least force the other player to go into the Golden Age while you stall making 2gp a turn).

Even without that just Russia seems overly powerful since it guarantees you can get all of your cities built and you will likely have some effects that synergise from that. In the above 2 player game the scores were close until the last turn when the Blue player made 5 gold for every wheat city placed with Medicine/Commerce and 6 gold for every gem city after buying Economy and then followed it up with 26 gold from the Central Building. He had the Spiral Minaret and the Apollo Program so ended up buying all of the techs to score around 70 points in final scoring handily beating the Red Player 129 to 71. Certainly one game can be an anomoly but it does concern me that these types of combos might come up fairly often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd
United Kingdom
Camden
London
flag msg tools
badge
This game is bullshit.
mbmbmbmbmb
Without having rules in front of me, did you miss the rule about the game ending one turn after a player begins their Golden Age in the final era?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think in bold letters, before anyone posts to the rules thread, there should be 2 messages:

1. You may not start a golden age unless all your colonists have been used.
2. In the last era, the game end is triggered when any one player starts a golden age.

These two rules seem to trip a lot of people up.

Edit: Wording.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike McCollum
United States
Plymouth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I did forget that one. So the combo is still valid but the other players can put an end to it as soon as they are eligible to start a Golden Age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.