Subject: Interesting new strategy created by a friend rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Goggans
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
She never even looks at her cards, and claims Duke until she is finally called out and forced to examine her hand.

Now, the odds of her having a Duke are much smaller than the odds of being right to call her out. And I started calling her out every time, but I'll be damned if I didn't stop doing it because she ends up with the Duke far too often for it to be worth losing an influence. The problem is that everyone else was too afraid to call her out, knowing that she had no idea if she was really bluffing or not, so it fell to me to be the one to do it.

I know that this tactic would never fly in a high level, experienced game where players are comfortable with calling bluffs, but it could be somewhat gimmicky-effective for mixed games with unfamiliar players.

I'm trying to imagine a scenario where this could be an effective strategy with a card besides the Duke. Captain, perhaps. It may work with newer players because of the perceived superiority of the Duke card when compared to something more benign, like the Contessa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
"Some fights will just get you bloody"
mbmbmbmbmb
Too easy to block stealing. Maybe an assassin though. Noone wants to lose both cards to call you out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is nothing to gain from not looking at your cards unless your poker face is terrible. You play worse and the game is less fun (for me at least).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Rauch
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Silock wrote:
She never even looks at her cards...

This is an added level of mindgame that you have to be very confident to try to use.

I've used it successfully in poker games with friends, but that's with people I've been playing with for years. I know how they'll react to my betting without having looked at my cards. It's a level of trickery that only works against opponents you know very very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GlennRauch wrote:
Silock wrote:
She never even looks at her cards...

This is an added level of mindgame that you have to be very confident to try to use.

I've used it successfully in poker games with friends, but that's with people I've been playing with for years. I know how they'll react to my betting without having looked at my cards. It's a level of trickery that only works against opponents you know very very well.

Can I be your friend? I'd like to take all your money while you do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United States
Fremont
CA
flag msg tools
badge
For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
There is nothing to gain from not looking at your cards unless your poker face is terrible. You play worse and the game is less fun (for me at least).

It's like a mental block. Some people are afraid to bluff if they know their cards. If they don't, they lose that certainty of what they have. You can't be risk averse if you have no idea what's a risk and what's not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoubleH wrote:
Muemmelmann wrote:

It's like a mental block. Some people are afraid to bluff if they know their cards. If they don't, they lose that certainty of what they have. You can't be risk averse if you have no idea what's a risk and what's not.

Risk aversion actually doesn't leave. You will still avoid actions you perceive as more risky, which may not be valid. You may not assassinate because its risky but you may call a contessa. In our no look situation, both are equally legitimate actions by chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a fun experiment. But hardly a tactic. A much more useful tactic would be to LOOK at the cards but claim you did not.

Another good tactic is to look at your cards, and then immediately pretend your hands is two completely different cards and try to play them with full confidence.

The best tactic yet is to look at your cards. But play as if you had the best card for any given situation in your hand and change roles frequently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.