Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tanya
Australia
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband and I played this game this afternoon (or at least, we tried to). I know I will love it once I get the rules sorted. My husband was not so keen, but Urban Sprawl grew on him, so I hope this will too.

Anyway, we had some issues. Hopefully these questions make sense.

1. With paying $1 for having the reputation marker below 0... I understand that $1 is paid for each movement backwards below zero. Say you're on -5, and you move up to -3 during the course of your turn. At the end of your turn you're at -3. Do you pay $3 for this? Or in other words: is $1 paid at the end of a turn when you're below 0, or only each time your marker moves backwards below 0?

2. Tile effects. A picture to illustrate:

The Homeowner's Association towards the top left. Does the '$2 for every Residential' effect happen (1) just when the tile is placed, (2) when the tile is placed as well as when another Residential tile is placed adjacent to it, or (3) both 1 and 2, as well as when any Residential tile is placed elsewhere in any borough?

Similarly, for something like the Municipal Airport shown in this pic:

Does the +1 income for every airport only apply for airports that are present when the tile is placed, or does every airport tile 're-trigger' each time another airport is placed in any borough, in a cumulative fashion?

3. Same question as for 2, but for the investment marker. The investment marker makes it $4, but is this in the case of (1), (2), or (3) as described above?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanya
Australia
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just found, in the bottom of the box, the information sheet about the tiles. Some of my questions are answered!!

My apologies - completely missed those pages! blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Yates
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tantan wrote:
My husband and I played this game this afternoon (or at least, we tried to). I know I will love it once I get the rules sorted. My husband was not so keen, but Urban Sprawl grew on him, so I hope this will too.

Anyway, we had some issues. Hopefully these questions make sense.

1. With paying $1 for having the reputation marker below 0... I understand that $1 is paid for each movement backwards below zero. Say you're on -5, and you move up to -3 during the course of your turn. At the end of your turn you're at -3. Do you pay $3 for this? Or in other words: is $1 paid at the end of a turn when you're below 0, or only each time your marker moves backwards below 0?

Your Income marker tells you how much money your borough collects at the end of your turn. If it is negative, you pay money rather than collect it.

Your Reputation marker is similar, but tells you how much your Population goes up or down. The only time your Reputation marker affects your money is if your Reputation is negative, and you don't have enough Population to lose. For example, if your Reputation is -3, but your Population is only 1, then you would move your Population marker to zero, and then pay $2 for the 2 additional Population you should have lost.

tantan wrote:

2. Tile effects. A picture to illustrate:

The Homeowner's Association towards the top left. Does the '$2 for every Residential' effect happen (1) just when the tile is placed, (2) when the tile is placed as well as when another Residential tile is placed adjacent to it, or (3) both 1 and 2, as well as when any Residential tile is placed elsewhere in any borough?

You collect $2 for every Residential tile in play when the tile is placed, including the Homeowners Association itself. Then when any Residential tile is placed in the future, you collect $2 for the new tile.

tantan wrote:

Similarly, for something like the Municipal Airport shown in this pic:

Does the +1 income for every airport only apply for airports that are present when the tile is placed, or does every airport tile 're-trigger' each time another airport is placed in any borough, in a cumulative fashion?

The same rule applies. You collect the benefit for every Airport in play when it is placed, including the new airport you placed. The owners of the existing Airports will collect their ongoing effect ONCE again for your new Airport tile, and you would similarly collect ONCE again for each Airport placed later.

'Re-trigger' is a dangerous term in Suburbia and much of the confusion people have with this game seems to come from thinking in that term. A tile's ongoing effect is not something that is "triggered" it is just something that is always in effect once it is placed.

In the case of the Homeowners Association, it pays you $2 for every Residential tile, present or future. You count all existing ones when you place it and collect the bonus. When a new Residential tile is placed you collect $2 for it. You do not need to count all other Residential tiles again, because you've already gotten the bonus for them (i.e. the tile is not 're-triggered').

tantan wrote:

3. Same question as for 2, but for the investment marker. The investment marker makes it $4, but is this in the case of (1), (2), or (3) as described above?

The Investment markers lead to more confusion, but really work the same way. If you invest in the Homeowners Association, it now pays $4 per Residential tile instead of $2. Since you have already been paid $2 for every existing Residential tile, you need to collect an additional $2 for each when you invest. You have now collected a total of $4 for each existing Residential tile. Whenever any new Residential tile is placed in the future, you collect the $4 effect of the "better" Homeowners Association for the new tile only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Smith
msg tools
sfglbkf wrote:

The same rule applies. You collect the benefit for every Airport in play when it is placed, including the new airport you placed. The owners of the existing Airports will collect their ongoing effect ONCE again for your new Airport tile, and you would similarly collect ONCE again for each Airport placed later.

'Re-trigger' is a dangerous term in Suburbia and much of the confusion people have with this game seems to come from thinking in that term. A tile's ongoing effect is not something that is "triggered" it is just something that is always in effect once it is placed.

In the case of the Homeowners Association, it pays you $2 for every Residential tile, present or future. You count all existing ones when you place it and collect the bonus. When a new Residential tile is placed you collect $2 for it. You do not need to count all other Residential tiles again, because you've already gotten the bonus for them (i.e. the tile is not 're-triggered').

Okay, so this really confused me as well. I think i understand your response, but I have a follow-up question/example to clarify. Let's say municipal airport pushes me over 15 income (assume it would actually get me to 17). Next turn, my population passes a red line and my income goes down. Does my income go to 14 regardless of my municipal airport? My interpretation of your post is that it would, because the effect was already triggered, and will not "re-trigger" until a new airport is placed (and will only trigger with respect to that one airport).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Aarlock wrote:
sfglbkf wrote:

Okay, so this really confused me as well. I think i understand your response, but I have a follow-up question/example to clarify. Let's say municipal airport pushes me over 15 income (assume it would actually get me to 17). Next turn, my population passes a red line and my income goes down. Does my income go to 14 regardless of my municipal airport? My interpretation of your post is that it would, because the effect was already triggered, and will not "re-trigger" until a new airport is placed (and will only trigger with respect to that one airport).

There's never "assume it would actually get you to 17 income". Your max income is 15. The excess is lost.

Your interpretation is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.