Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roberto Silva
Italy
CARPI (MO)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

I own TALISMAN 2nd edition (with many expansions) and I LOVE it!
I was thinking to buy the 3rd edition as well (without selling my 2nd edition) but, before to spend a lot of money, I'd like to know from the people that have tried both editions, if it is a good choice.

What are the differences between them?

Do you suggest to stay with my 2nd edition or the 3rd edition is superior?

BTW, in these days I bought PROPHECY and, if you love TALISMAN, you'll love it ... absolutely a fantastic game!!
Give it a try ... well worth the money spent in my humble opinion.

Roberto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Silva
Italy
CARPI (MO)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Cedric,

for "Talisman resources fan site" do you mean TALISMAN ISLAND (http://www.talismanisland.com)?
It is the best TALISMAN site for me.

Roberto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 2nd edition with all the expansions, and 3rd edition (just the base game). Having played both I can say it depends on the mood and the time you have.

For a contained game with 4 players, the 3rd edition is great. It's streamlined, plays fast, and doesn't have all the extra chrome that is added with all the expansions found in 2nd edition. If you want all the variety and a longer game, then 2nd is the way to go.

I really don't see much need to go to 3rd edition unless you can get a copy cheap. There's not that much difference in the two when comparing the base game. The plastic figures from 3rd edition are nice but not enough to justify the jump unless you're also a collector.meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Garbanzo
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have T2e, I'd recommend you don't bother with 3.

Bottom line: The Minotaur is cool and all, but he aint the Troll.

With 2e and all the expansions, one of the best things was drawing a character from that great big stack. You can play a few games over a couple of days and concievably not get any repeats. 3e- not so much.

Also, nerfed endgame. No Crown of Command. No wagging your finger in the face of you opponent and demanding they "SUBMIT! No? Then DIE!"

Of course, you could houserule stuff in, or use the characters from 2, but then you might as well be playing 2. Sure, the minis are cool, but you give up way more than you gain to get them.

[Edit: I originally spelled "Command" with 2 "a"s and no "o"s.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you already have 2e and enjoy it, there is no reason to own 3e (other than a compulsive disorder to collect all things Talisman). 3e is streamlined and has an experience point system that makes more sense (you can go up in craft as well as strength) but in an effort to make the game more balanced GW took out a lot of the large random elements, which makes the game more static and less interesting.

--Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both editions, all expansions for 2e except for Dragons, and the Mountain/Dungeon expansion for 3e.

I love both, but here is how I'd break it down: 2e is great if you want the full Talisman experience, but, 3e is better if you want a shorter game. 2e can drag a bit at times, while 3e is pretty streamlined and playable in a couple hours tops.

I'd never get rid of either one, short of having to get bail money or afford a life saving operation or something. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.