Matthew Pearson
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What the subject said.

If, for example, I attack with a creature of 5 attack and my opponent is defending with a creature that only has 1 defense, does the 4 attack that I have left go through and attack my opponents HP directly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
icalvinist wrote:
If, for example, I attack with a creature of 5 attack and my opponent is defending with a creature that only has 1 defense, does the 4 attack that I have left go through and attack my opponents HP directly?

No, the rules themselves make no mention that surplus damage goes through to damage your opponent.

I don't know all the cards, but it is possible that the text on a card does allow this to happen but that's because a card would over-ride the normal rule. So, unless the attacking card specifically states this, carried over damage does not effect your opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau No last name
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
icalvinist wrote:

No, the rules themselves make no mention that surplus damage goes through to damage your opponent.

I don't know all the cards, but it is possible that the text on a card does allow this to happen but that's because a card would over-ride the normal rule. So, unless the attacking card specifically states this, carried over damage does not effect your opponent.

Heyo,

My son had this same question tonight. A check of the rule book does mention that a creature that takes damage equal or greater than it's health is destroyed. That does seem to indicate to me that 'excess' damage is still applied to the creature.

- Raider30

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Raider30 wrote:
xris wrote:
icalvinist wrote:

My son had this same question tonight. A check of the rule book does mention that a creature that takes damage equal or greater than it's health is destroyed. That does seem to indicate to me that 'excess' damage is still applied to the creature.

Not sure if you're saying that excess damage should or shouldn't carry over to the player.

I think the rules make it clear that it's the creature that absorbs the excess damage, not the player. Damage that applies to a creature only applies to a creature, damage that applies to a player only applies to a player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau No last name
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
Raider30 wrote:
xris wrote:
icalvinist wrote:

Not sure if you're saying that excess damage should or shouldn't carry over to the player.

I think the rules make it clear that it's the creature that absorbs the excess damage, not the player. Damage that applies to a creature only applies to a creature, damage that applies to a player only applies to a player.

Yep, that's what I was saying. "Excess" damage(ie. damage that goes beyond what is needed to kill a creature) is still applied to the creature, NOT carried over to the player.

- Raider30

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bieniewicz-Valada
United States
California
flag msg tools
The only time attacking down a lane will damage the opposing player directly is if there is no opposing creature in that lane when your creature begins its attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.