Subject: Two Player Adventure! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Ronzino
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've been seeing talk on BGG about two player variants for Xia, and I wanted to share some of my experiences of playing with only two people.

My friend John has a busy schedule, so he's been unable to play Xia with a group. Xia isn't meant for two players, but with John, that's been the only option. Let me tell you, even though it's essentially a race for FP, even with two players, Xia is fun! We've played together several times now, and each time it's been a fun game.

Yes, you do lose a little of the player interaction and everyone vying for points, and yes, it is a bit of a race, but you don't lose the enjoyability of the game and the story that can unfold if you role play a bit (See The Xia Tavern: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1254852/xia-tavern). We've been having a blast playing with just two players.

Me and my friend Brennen came up with a two player variant where each player controls two ships, and in order to win both ships need to reach the target FP goal for victory. But he had a baby right as Xia showed up, so we haven't had the time to sit down and work on it. I thought about trying it out with John, but each time, he's wanted to play vanilla, so that's what we've done. The only major difference is we each control the NPCs, we just divvy them up.

If you want to play vanilla two player, the NPCs are a MUST, otherwise it really is just a race. With the NPCs, at least there's a little bit of added life to the game.

Just last week we played a game where I decided to try to go for a straight pirate. I had tried it once before in a four player game, but luck was not on my side that time around. But I had been reading up on some ways to make straight piracy work here on BGG, and I had my plan all set. I started with the Swamp Rat with missiles and an engine, advanced to the Krembler, which can heal the damage I took from the Swamp Rat, and ended the game with the Slow Leak. For the most part, I targeted only the NPCs, because they're easier to destroy than players are. This strategy worked out great, and I won the game, but not by a landslide. John was playing smart and was on my heels most of the game. Only in the end did I pull ahead.

The picture above is from said game. for most of the game, myself, John, and the NPCs were clustered in the same general area. Near the end, in a move that gave me the commanding lead, I was able to use a mixture of Abilities, Outfits, and ramming speed to destroy all three NPCs, and complete a Title challenge in one turn, earning me 6 Fame Points. It was a mixture of perfect placement, luck, and some smart playing on my part. I shot the Scoundrel with d20 missiles and destroyed him by rolling a 17. I shot at the Merchant using Over Surge with the same d20 missiles and rolled a 8 (-1, so 7), the Merchant was already damaged by the Scoundrel and John, but I didn't roll enough, because he was able to mitigate some of that damage with his shields, so I impulsed over to him and, by using an engine, I rammed him to death. I then flew over to the Enforcer, who was chilling by the sun, and I used my Slow Leak's Shockwave to push him into the sun and kill him too.

John couldn't believe it! I couldn't really believe it either. If we had been playing with more people, I doubt I would have had that opportunity. It was pretty fantastic.

Needless to say, playing Xia with two players isn't the optimum way to play, I'll admit; you lose a lot of the interaction the game has to offer. But it's quick (John and I usually play to 20 FP), and it's still enjoyable, especially if you add some role playing into it. So, if you want to play with two players, remember that the level of fun you'll have will be based on who you're playing with and whether or not you like to add some RPing. And don't forget to play with the NPCs, you kind of need them.

(Edited for clarity and grammar)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gilmore
United States
BRADLEY
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
I believe that you cant ram using impulse. But either way fun session report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Ronzino
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
capwulf wrote:
I believe that you cant ram using impulse. But either way fun session report.

No, you can't ram with impulse. I guess the way I wrote it was unclear. My bad. I impulsed to get close to the Merchant , and then I used my engines to ram him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brennen Hilgendorf
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someday we will get to play this together... someday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zippadeedoodah
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice session report!
Three of my four plays so far were two-player games, which worked fine to introduce new players to the game. Only in my most recent two-player game (no new players) did we introduce the NPCs, which worked very well. Just had to remember to bring them out on cue, and to not skip their turn accidentally.
Everyone I played this game with so far liked it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bull
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Third paragraph, second line enjoyability.

I can't wait to unwrap this baby at xmas and start roll playing it up with my girlfriend. The game should be good too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Ronzino
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameplayerOfTitan wrote:
Third paragraph, second line enjoyability.

I can't wait to unwrap this baby at xmas and start roll playing it up with my girlfriend. The game should be good too.

Thank you fellow Grammar Nazi! Thanks for having my back. I hope you enjoy the game. Each game I've played so far has been different and an new experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Lovell
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I haven't had the opportunity to play Xia with only two people just yet. The minimum I've played with is three, and those have been quick and fun. I'll have to give two player a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.