Stefan Daniels
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been developing this game for a while now (going on 3.5 years) and we've developed a number of Techs, mostly dealing with Combat (Attack and Defense Techs), Movement, and Economy. Now we're combing through the other aspects of possible far-future Tech that might be implemented in our game to both mechanical and thematic effect.

Are there any Techs that people don't often see in these types of games that they wish were included? or developed as a mechanical/thematic ideas?

I'm appealing to the broader knowledge-base of my fellow Geeks here. I've gone through the staple games in this category such as: Twilight Imperium, Starcraft, Eclipse, Space Empires 4X, Hegemonic, Exodus: Proxima Centauri, StelCon: Infinity... and I've even looked at some of the precursor civ-type games such as Clash of Cultures, Sid Meier's Civilization...

Ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While Sid Meier's Civ was a good idea, you should have gone for Sid Meier's Alien Crossfire.

Let me present you the tech tree:

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
Read it again, carefully...
badge
Hey! I bought OverText! I'm cooler than you!
mbmbmbmbmb
While I'm not gonna start naming off all the k00l t3ch that I can think of, what I think there's room for in the more advanced technology is "exclusive tech". Most 4x games allow every race/culture to research anything in the tree. It would be interesting to have a set of advanced techs that only can be researched by one player, and once researched, cannot be researched by another player. Kemet does this, although is not a 4x game, it has ~40 powers/technologies that are exclusive to the first player to buy them.

Think of classic sci-fi. Some races had something that made them scary because they had something that no one else had-- Klingons had cloaking; the Borg have their adaptive shields;

This CAN happen in Eclipse if only one tile of that tech ever comes out-- which by itself is interesting since some games only 1 player has the advanced tech, other games more than one player get that technology. If your game is a heavier weight, you can use this model, but give the players the ability to "buy" a monopoly on specific technologies. Eclipse does not let you buy tech tiles that you've already purchased, but if that were part of your game, a player can attempt to have that tech exclusively for them, but they've got to work hard to keep the monopoly. Also, allow them to sell it to allies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to look at the tech trees in Sins of a Solar Empire and the various expansions. Those are specific to different races, and often have more than just Combat, Movement, and Economy - there are a number devoted to Diplomacy (which could fall under Combat or Economy or other categories...) They have moral boosting tech, and tech for spreading indoctrination (which isn't Combat... but can be used to convert other planets.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Daniels
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kai: thanks. Alien Crossfire has a great tech-tree (not TOO deep but extremely varied).

Desco: While we don't have racial-specific advanced, unique Tech, we do have something called Cultural Developments. In our game Tech is ubiquitous to everyone and is gained through Research and the spending of Resources. These Techs and Resources CAN be Traded amongst players (we're developing further ideas concerning possible Theory development which would lead to Tech breakthroughs but this is still in the nascent stages). In our universe, Techs are basically value-modifiers: attack, defense, resource increases, etc.

However, Cultural Developments are completely unique attributes, one-offs that players acquire by spending a separate and very precious resource called Cultural Resources (CR). These CR's CANNOT be Traded or taken in any way and are difficult to attain. Cultural Developments are NOT modifiers but in some way, bend or break a game-rule (i.e. Trade Union Tzar - name's gonna change - bends the basic Trade rules to that player's advantage...)

We're also looking at 'Advanced Tech' or 'Super Tech' which are one-off, very powerful but also very expensive Techs that once Researched is unavailable to other players through either Research or Trade.

Caroline: SoaSE has a very deep, and varied tech tree, a lot of which are exactly the types of Tech we're looking at developing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen fan versions of a Dyson Sphere in some games, but can't recall an official one. It's a huge sphere the size of Earth's orbit, which effectively captures 100% of a star's output, and would make it invisible to light based telescopes (gravity would still have an effect).

The Sifi channel just had a mini-series exploring life on a generational ship. While it would be too slow for most 4X games, it could be an unique species variant. Perhaps you "discover" an opponents generational ship, and the crew is angry their system abandoned the mission, so they provide secrets or propaganda against the home system.

Propaganda itself is rarely explored in games, but has definitely been significant in conflicts on Earth. I like how it was portrayed in the movie Starship Troopers, and could create a whole sub-game about a species, their government, and if their populace works in unity or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.