Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clint DeSena
United States
Plainville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been a Eurogamer for a few years now and was finally thinking of taking the plunge and ordering this game. I'm not really a wargamer, but I like HotS's theme, the mechanics sound interesting, and the blocks definitely look cool. I have two questions, one involving mechanics and the other about component quality:

1. I have played both Risk 2210 and Memoir '44, and did not really enjoy either. Memoir started out as a fun game, but about 5 or so games in I just didn't really feel like I was making any meaningful decisions. The cards, combined with the dice mechanics, just left a bad taste in my mouth. Obviously, HotS includes both cards and dice, but I'm hoping that there's enough strategic play to offset the randomness. If I disliked Risk and Memoir, could I possibly enjoy this?

2. Other games have made me apply stickers to wooden pieces, and a few days later they would start peeling off. (I'm lookin' at you, Fearsome Floors!) Do the stickers in HotS actually stay on the pieces?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Clint

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hammer is a real game. It's not going to replace Caylus or Antiquity in my collection, I'm not really a wargamer. But it is interesting, there are real decisions, and it's fun to pull out every month or two.

I have no interest at all in playing Risk and only very minimal interest in trying Memoir 44.

I have had no problems with the stickers. But I didn't have problems with the Finstere Flure stickers either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
1) The cards just indicate how many groups you can move. It is not like Mem'44 where you need to have the "right" card to do what you want. (For example - move on the left, but all your cards are on the right). As a result, each card you play can be used.

Combat is very different then in Mem'44. Your block gets it - it fights with less. And since the defender gets the first blow, there is some strategy to amassing a force and attacking. And there is always the retreat option. All these make for more strategic play in HotS

2) I have no problem with the stickers. But then again, I tend to coat my sticker/blocks with Krylon #1311 (Matte Finish) to help protect the stickers and to help "seal" them to the wood.

Bonus) Cards are a bit thin, so would suggest sleeving them to protect them.

I think HotS is a fine game. Consider it an "area control" game rather than a "wargame" with differing strategies from each side. If you haven't already, take a look at the example of play between "Sam" and "Frodo" - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/fileinfo.php?fileid=10896 - it at least has some combat examples so you can decide if you like the combat mechanism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poochie D
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
axelay80 wrote:
1. I have played both Risk 2210 and Memoir '44, and did not really enjoy either. Memoir started out as a fun game, but about 5 or so games in I just didn't really feel like I was making any meaningful decisions. The cards, combined with the dice mechanics, just left a bad taste in my mouth. Obviously, HotS includes both cards and dice, but I'm hoping that there's enough strategic play to offset the randomness. If I disliked Risk and Memoir, could I possibly enjoy this?

Definitely. The cards only limit how many armies you can activate, not the location of those armies. So if you play a 1-op card, you still get to choose any one of your armies on the map. As for the dice-rolling, sometimes it's best to retreat instead of staying in a drawn-out battle. So having bad die rolls in a single battle isn't a huge factor. If you consistently get bad rolls while your opponent gets good ones, you'll still probably lose, but this is unlikely.

Quote:
2. Other games have made me apply stickers to wooden pieces, and a few days later they would start peeling off. (I'm lookin' at you, Fearsome Floors!) Do the stickers in HotS actually stay on the pieces?

Yes. I haven't had any stickers peel off the blocks yet, in Hammer or my other block games.

Cheers,
Hugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint DeSena
United States
Plainville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick responses! I'll be ordering this one very soon! Where can I get this Krylon #1311 (Matte Finish) and how do I apply it? It seems like something I'd like to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Krylon Matte Finish comes in a spray can - so is applied just like spray paint. A thin coat is all you need - but you will need an open area with some protection against overspray.

I have found it in art supply stores (like Michael's), but have also ordered in online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.