King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all.

I love Nexus Ops. It's a great light wargame that I can teach easily to others. It's got great bits and a fast, fun play plus it doesn't take too long for a single game.

I'm wondering.... If I like Nexus Ops, but the original Risk leaves me cold (no end game trigger mostly so that games just get stupid - vittle variation on tactics - etc... all the usual complaints) would you think I might be rewarded by picking up 2210?

From what I've read it sounds and looks similar in some ways. I think I might like it but wanted some comparisons and contrasts from those that have both.

thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Campbell
United States
Excelsior
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a while since I played 2210, but I think you'll like it based on your love of Nexus Ops. The five turn limit keeps the game at a manageable 3 hours and as I recall there are various commanders you can bring into the game.

Futuristic carnage...it's all the same. Pass me the dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Nexus Ops and own it. I have played 2210 and don't own it because I didn't think it was very good. It seemed like buying lots of cards was the optimal strategy. If you fail to do this, you lose. Meh. I did buy Risk:Godstorm in the hopes of finding a cool risk game, and was pretty much horrified by that one as well. We had people knocked of the game before they got a single turn. Cool ideas, very bad exectution.

I think 2210 is only "okay." Hate Godstorm, which I mention just in case you end up looking at the other Risk variants

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I've heard enough about Godstorm to know to stay far away.

I do like futuristic carnage...

Are there options for orbital bombardment in this game? From what I understand the answer is yes.
I think if it does then I'm pretty much sold. I started tonight's BGG session looking for games that focussed on artillery... then got to reminiscing about Supremacy and the fantastic 'shroom clouds (and the limit on how many you can use before everyone loses). I came across 2210 and was very intrigued... Saw the (visual and thematic) similarities to both Nexus Ops and Supremacy and became more intrigued....

Then realized I don't really have money to burn so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks both of you for input.

I need a larger pool of opinion here people! If you read this please post your thoughts!

Thanks again.

EDIT: Three hours huh? That's about twice as long as a four player game of N.O. Is that pretty standard or....? Not like I personally would not like that.... I used to play Battletech games that would last eight hours... But my gaming group now is not quite so -how should I put it?- "invested" as I tend to be in games.
Well... that's actually sort of disingenuous I suppose. We might play for very long but they usually like to get more than one game into that time frame as opposed to one very long game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played several games of 2210 and a few other Risk variants and I think 2210 is the best as far as balance goes. (Clone wars I'll probably play more because it plays quicker). If however you don't enjoy original Risk I doubt 2210 is going to save it for you.

Quick review:
Combat is pretty much the same. If you got a commander you get a d8, which isn't that powerful. Same thing can happen, you've got 12 guys to take on 6 and some how you lose 4 times in a row and you're down to 4 vs. 6. Command cards and energy chips are the main thing in improving the game. Bidding for turn order with energy chips that help you in the game is a great mechanic. Turn order could end up allowing someone to have two turns in a row! Somebody that went last in an all out campaign spreading themselves thin might bid high and be able to reinforce their posititions and hold the region they just won. I've seen several stratigies do well: Buying command cards, turtling on the moon, aggressive naval and land movement, buying consecutive turns, being last and taking the blank spaces. Bottom line good strategy game with great bits that's somewhat of a dice fest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think with Nexus Ops you have the "Risk-type game" category covered...I dont really think you will find a Risk game that is better. Branch out into something different would be my professional suggestion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Garbanzo
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the original leaves you cold, then don't bother with 2210. I'd say that all of the features that make 2210 appealing only do so if you like Risk in the first place.

Play more Ops and be more happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Spoto
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My take is that Risk 2210 is actually a bit underrated, as far as lighter wargames go. Sure it's "RISK" branded, but it's a far different and (in my opinion better) playing game than Original/Mission Risk. I've come to think of this game now as quite separate from all other Risk variants.

The bidding, commander options, card options, and even the random "nuke zones" each game all add up to a pretty rich set of player options, from choosing territories at the beginning, to that last push for territories that, by might or political intervention, one hopes to hang onto.

FWIW, I really enjoy Nexus Ops for many of the same reasons, and I don't think you can go wrong with 2210 (which BTW seems to play best with 4-5 people). It's always been a blast to play, even with a mixed group of gamers, and never seems to fail on "fun".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... In a reply to this thread that somehow got lost to the internet-ether I said that the reason I am stale on the idea of "vanilla" Risk is the lack of endgame. Even with the "special mission" cards it can go on forever.

Nexus Ops gives you the option of getting points almost every turn to an end game limit. Our games very rarely go over 1.5 hours with four players.

Also, I would like the idea of having nukes or other bombardment in the game...

But, yes, you've sort of hit on the head my reluctance to go grab this title. I feel, simply by looking at the reviews etc that I do, indeed, have my bases covered very well in terms of this style with Nexus.

But I also have this sneaking suspicion that I'm probably going to get it anyway....

I'm really not sure if I started this thread to justify a purchase I have already made my mind up about or if I was looking for reasons not to get something that I've already made a decision not to get...

I'm sure you all know what I mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the real question is this:

Would my enjoyment of one of these games compliment the playing of the other or would it detract in that we would feel like it's redundant to learn a new rules-set for what is essentially the same game?

If I am trying to be totally honest here I would have to say that I'm hoping you might all convince me of the former rather than the latter since the urge to get a new game is very strong.

But at the same time I don't want to waste money and time if, in the end, I am disapointed that they are either; A) Too similar to matter which we play (thusly wasting money and time on a new game) or B) Very similar but the one I already own is actually superior (thusly wasting money and time on a new game).

Thanks again for all the helpful comments!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sort of on a side note and at the risk of totally usurping my own thread (which I can do since it's mine...):

Does anyone have any good suggestions for games that are more light wargame types but that deal with totally crazy proliferation?

I think that both Nexus and Risk fall into this category as does Supremacy (though it's arguably "broken" even though it's still fun as hell.... the problem is it's loooooong).

This is really the ideal game I'm looking for. Something that provides almost stupid proliferation on all sides.... with the threat of total annihilation for everyone at almost every step... but is balanced and relatively short playing at the same time.

Perhaps "Twilight Struggle"? I've been pretty interested in this game but I am not sure if it's more political / diplomatic rather than combat oriented....

In any case, once again, any thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never liked basic Risk (last time I played was the early 90's) but had fun with 2210 for maybe 5 or 6 games over the last few years...until recently when I was playing a 3-player game and 2 of us were about evenly matched in the last two turns. It was James' turn and mine after his. He was going to do his best to wipe out as many of my my guys before I got my last turn. It was looking to be a close game. As he attacked, I picked up my command cards and to finally read my new defensive ones from my previous turn, I saw the one called "Cease Fire" which, for two gold, gave me this: "Opponent cannot attack you for rest of turn"!

This card too cheaply won the game for me after about 3 hours invested playing to that point. It spoiled the game for both of us and I'm now considering selling it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can definately see how that might put you off. It's one of those situations that makes you wonder if they really playtested the thing or not.

However it seems that if you really enjoyed it until that moment a simple house rule would be a satisfying fix allowing you to continue playing within the spirit you were before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think both games are very good and own both. If I could only keep one I'd pick 2210- it can include 1 extra player, is based on a game that most non-gamers are familiar with, and has shades of one of my alltime favorite games Samurai Swords (bidding for turn order, leaders, hidden forces, fortifications). I haven't played in awhile but from memory I'd say 3 hours is at the longer end of the spectrum for a game. Closer to 2 if everyone knows the rules already.

I've kicked around the idea of making up my own game using pieces from Nexus Ops and Risk 2210- human mecha pilots fighting off the alien hordes! Has anyone else already tried this?

Bottom line: I enjoy both games. I think if you're a big fan of Nexus Ops, you would probably enjoy Risk 2210. If you REALLY want an awesome "RiskPLUS" gaming experience get a copy of Samurai Swords aka Shogun.

Note: all my comments are based on the "big box" version of Risk 2210. I've heard grumblings on here about the smaller box game that is on the shelves in TRU, etc now. Then again people on here like to grumble sometimes. I'm not sure if the big box is still available new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Fullenwider
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
I'm not a moccodity!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend Risk 2210. I think you and your gaming group might like it. If you can pick up any of the expansions, even better. Here's a quick rundown of them:

Major cards: Probably the hardest of the expansions to get your hands on. A powerful (but expensive) card for each of the commander types.

Mars: For when you get tired of playing on Earth. Adds an interesting neutral wasteland territories dynamic.

Tech commander: Adds a 6th commander with some great card abilities. This one always gets mixed in anytime we play.

Factions: Gives each player a different special ability and starting units. Interesting, but this ones sees the least play in our group

Invasion of the Giant Amoebas: Adds a neutral invading alien force. Quite chaotic but can make for some fun games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Forhan
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I have played many games of (vanilla) Risk, 1 game of Risk 2210, and a couple of games of Nexus Ops. IMO, Nexus Ops is the best of them all. I really don't have any desire to play vanilla Risk ever again, however I would probably play 2210 occasionally. The cards, commanders, and 5 turn limit definitely improve the game, but it's still Risk. You can still have completely wild swings for no rhyme or reason.

Nexus Ops, OTOH, is a fast and deadly game where you're actually encouraged to buy the stronger troops instead of turtling with a horde of the weak. I really enjoyed this game and look forward to playing it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Op's is a "Better Risk", and would rather play it than Risk 2210 any day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Mathews
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I am concerned, now that I own Nexus Ops, I have no need to EVER play Risk or any of its varients again. There's nothing that Risk gives you that Nexus Ops doesn't do better, from what I can tell, other than having a bigger map and the option for 5-6 players, and both of those serve to lengthen an interminable game. Nexus Ops is quick, fun, and different every time. Risk is long, boring, with lots of downtime, and gets rather repetitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, check out Viktory II. It sounds like it will fit the bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a massive fan of 2210 - it's okay as far as it goes but it just seemed too chaotic for me. Risk is very dependent on turn order and the Risk variants that have either random end turn (LotR Risk) or the chance to bid for turn order (as in 2210) just seem to me to be completely dominated by this mechanic.

This might sound like a suprising suggestion, but you might actually want to revisit Risk. The European version of the rules have for ages included secret mission cards which act as an end trigger shortening the game considerably and also improving it's strategic depth. As I understand it all new versions of the rules include a mission card variant and another "citadels" variant which has a different end trigger in which players choose key territories which become the objective. Try it - you might be pleasantly surprised.

If you like I'd be happy to give you a quick rundown of the rules differences and the contents of the old mission deck (the new one is different) and you can make up some cards and give it a whirl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Betzel
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just going to suggest Viktory II as well. I haven't played Nexus Ops so I can't compare, but Viktory II is fun, has a bit more strategy to it than something like Risk and encourages everyone to be on the offensive so something is always happening. The instructions come with some optional endgame rules so you don't have to play until everyone is destroyed and the optional vassalage rules keep people from getting eliminated.

I'd be curious to hear from anyone who has played both Viktory II and Nexus Ops... are they different enough to warrant owning both?

Viktory II is fun and can support up to six if you get the six player version (there's also a four player version but you can buy extra components later if you want). I haven't played enough to get a solid feel for game length but I'm sort of estimating 1/2 hour per player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both Risk 2210 and Nexus Ops and I enjoyed them both, but for different reasons. The two games are very different, and I don't really see enough of a link to say that if you like one, you'll like the other. They are too different.

Nexus Ops is closer to being a traditional wargame. The different "units" have different stats, abilities, and uses. You score points and win for accomplishing things other than just conquering territory. Risk 2210 just uses the basic mechanics of Risk, but with enough chrome in just the right places to make it the best version of Risk. And as others have said, the 5 turn limit is a very nice touch.

Just my 2 cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read up on Viktory II.

This game looks freaking fantastic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Same topic with a little different spin:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/937611#937611

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.