Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read through the rules forum, but still have two a questions after our first game.

Imagine both players ended their movement in the locations shown. Neither has food at the start of their turn. Will they have to waste 5 AP to move that last space to get back into camp, or is the entire tile considered camp for this purpose?

I imagine we played it correctly (paying 5 AP to move that final hump), but I wanted to make sure.

I had another question regarding ropes and depth, but I finally figured it out, thanks in large part to this thread: 40 Explanations Later, Still Not Sure How Depth Markers Work

* Edit:

Actually, I do have some other questions.

2. when at base camp, with a portable camp in one's backpack, can you reorganize the contents in the portable camp without removing it (all subsumed under the 2 AP cost of general restocking)?

3. If you have food in your portable camp, but run out in your backpack, are you prevented from accessing that food? I presume so, but it felt funny enforcing that on a player earlier.

4. The rules are unclear: if you take your portable camp, can you later decide to leave it at the base camp without permanently losing it? The wording in the rules implied once you picked it up, you could put it down without setting it up (for the 2 AP cost).

Example: I return to camp and decide I want the space for something else. It would cost me 4 AP to handle all of this (2 AP to put the camp down and 2 AP for general restocking), yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have wondered the same thing and ruled that since nothing says otherwise, then yes one turn is still wasted because they are not home at the start of their turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Compton
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I think you have to spend 5 AP

2. Yes you can. See top of page 11 in rule book. If the team still has their camp in their backpack, they may exchange equipment between the camp and the bank.

3. Yes unless you are on the same space as your camp (it makes sense if you think about it as you've packed enough food for the day and left some at camp. Unless you are back at camp, you cannot eat all of that lovely extra food).

4. See page 11: when a team leaves the camp at home base, the camp is abandoned and the team will no longer be able to use it in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the prompt replies! Just two points to add:

desenclos wrote:

3. Yes unless you are on the same space as your camp (it makes sense if you think about it as you've packed enough food for the day and left some at camp. Unless you are back at camp, you cannot eat all of that lovely extra food).

Actually, I think the official answer is "no". Otherwise, there wouldn't have been a need for this variant to be posted: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1087943/no-starving-food-ten..., right?

I think the crux of the counter argument is it takes 2 AP to place the tent, and you aren't allowed to use AP for anything but tile movement when you run out of food.

It feels harsh, and might be an oversight in the rules, but I guess that is how they're written.

Quote:

4. See page 11: when a team leaves the camp at home base, the camp is abandoned and the team will no longer be able to use it in the game.

This is what I meant about ambiguity in this section of the rules -- "abandoned" does carry the ring of finality, but could also just mean "temporarily abandoned" (i.e. it is abandoned until you pick it back up).

So the rule is either:

You can always opt to put the portable camp down and pick it up later

Or

You can always opt to put the portable camp down for 2 AP, doing so for free throws it (and its contents) away permanently (and can only be discarded for free on the base camp tile).

Or

You can always put down the portable camp. Doing so at the base camp, for any reason, discards it for good.

Which is it? I like the second take, but the third might be what the rules stipulate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Compton
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh. I misunderstood your question around 3. What you have stated looks correct to me.

The rules define abandon as leaving the camp at home base. Then it says that if you abandon your camp, you can no longer use it. So I think you can always opt to put the portable camp down and pick it up later UNLESS you do so on base camp. If you put camp down there (which you have to do to pack it) and then abandon it (leave the tile with it out), you can no longer use it.

I think it's pretty clear but as you can see from #3, there's always room for misinterpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.