Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really want to like this game on theme alone. After watching several videos, however, I can't shake this nagging feeling that the game play is missing a major element: shouldn't the technologies in this game give the players special abilities, or something like that?

I tend to enjoy games where creative card play relates to in-game effects beyond VP scoring. Games like Bruges, Race for the Galaxy, San Juan, Netrunner, Dominion -- one characteristic all these games share is that most cards aren't an end unto themselves, even if they confer VP. Rather, they confer extra actions, break rules or otherwise tweak the game in interesting ways.

I have heard the expansion to Legacy remedies this to a degree, but what makes up for the lack of this in the core set?

Am I mistaken in faulting the game on this note?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played it twice, but special abilities are truly not necessary. That's due to area control (card control) element and all its dependencies. There are so many things to consider at the moment: turn order, when to go back in time, should I put more tokens to strengthen my own technology or take over somebody else's, or maybe immediately go back to past and invent an already existing technology to invalidate another player's equivalent in the future.
I haven't played the expansion yet. Maybe I will decide that I can't imagine playing the base game anymore, without those special abilities ;].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McGee
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Click to view this user's profile.
badge
Uncertainty and Innovation
mbmbmbmbmb

I believe this is not a fault nor a missed opportunity. The game mechanics are intertwined such that doing the same action in different contexts has greatly different consequenses. There are enough things to consider and enough restrictions when placing a tech card that any card powers on the techs would be used because they happen to coincide with the card you want to play anyway, rather than the power informing the decision of which card to place.

That said, the expansion does add powers to cards. I have not played the expansion yet, so I can't speak as to whether or not the powers are implemented well and are interesting. When playing the base game, though, I have not felt it in any way lacking by omission of card powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion adds powers and though I thought that it was needed to give it some depth, after it was over, the powers were used infrequently enough that it was a consensus to all players that the base game would be just as fun, and removal of the action cards in the base game would still give the play experience. The take that of those action cards, like 5 in total, were the only problem with the base game.
That said, the other deck of cards has some inventions that are done differently enough that owning both would give a different play experience. But those wierd names might be a bad choice for newbies since inventions that are real make sense in our minds and is less having to look back and see what cards are dependent for them to exist. We understand fire. Some intergalactic drill, not so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansion adds this and it's amazing. I basicly only use the base game when teaching the game. If everyone knows the game, expansion is superior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.