Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huge thanks to Jonna, for choosing me as Geek of the Week! I've had a lovely time, but I think the best part is getting to nominate and introduce the next Geek of the Week.

After much thought, and discussion with Anthony (and even my children) I decided to pass the torch to
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I first encountered Jacob, when I stumbled upon his challenges for Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game. These were incredibly well put together, must have taken a lot of work in writing, testing, and then maintaining, and they really added a lot to the game for us. What really stood out was how welcoming he was to participants - he tips, thumbs and replies warmly to every post, and even encouraged others to get involved with creating challenges (even though that probably added up to even more work on his part)

He also does a great job patiently answering rules questions in the games forum, and much else besides.

Here's his introduction:

jacovis wrote:
Thank you so much for selecting me to succeed you as the Geek of the Week Kim! I am honored and humbled to be chosen!

My adventure as a gamer started as a child in Boise, Idaho when my dad started teaching me Chess at the age of 6. We also played a lot of games as a family (Monopoly, Life, PayDay, Mouse Trap, etc.) with my 3 siblings.

My family also always played traditional card games a lot, including Cribbage, Rummy, Gin Rummy, Pinochle, Poker, and many more, so I've always had a fond place for card games that continues to this day.

When I was 8 or 9 I started getting more interested in other types of games, such as Screaming Eagles, Risk, and Stratego, mostly with my dad. (It took me until I was 14 to finally beat my dad at Chess. I still savor that victory!)

By 10 I had been exposed to Dungeon and Dragons, and role-playing took over a large part of my time with AD&D. I had a friend whose dad owned a bar right next to his house, so we would go and play there every Sunday morning. Those were some great times!

By the time I was 13, I began playing the Shadowrun RPG, but we also began playing more board games, like The Willow Game and Axis & Allies. Then Magic: The Gathering happened. Holy cow, our world exploded. We spent all of our spare time at this little game store playing, trading, playing some more, playing in tournaments, playing some more.. what a rush to be a part of that when it came out. We then played nearly every attempt at a CCG that came out over the next decade.

Over the next several years I got into Warhammer and Chronopia, and spent much of my spare time at a local game store playing all kinds of games. The store owner was a great guy and he hosted leagues of Formula Dé at the store and I even became a TO for Mage Knight there when it came out.

Then I moved to Las Vegas and lost touch with my gaming for a year or two. Then I found a new home at a gaming store when I walked in and this guy behind the counter introduced me to Legend of the Five Rings. Cavalry? Check. Multiple victory conditions? Check. Samurai and Ninja? Check. I was hooked.

Our group played weekly tournaments at the store for a couple of years, and we also played all the games like Vs. System, Call of Cthulhu: Collectible Card Game, WARS Trading Card Game, and others. But we also played board games. Lots of board games. We played almost anything (at least once). And it was awesome. Over the years we played more and more board games together, especially as we all got older and most of us opted out of collectible games.

For a while there one of those guys and I would get together every couple of weeks to play out some of the "meatier" 2 player (war)games out there like Twilight Struggle, Combat Commander: Europe, and we worked our way up to some of the heavier war games from there.

Nowadays I game a lot via Vassal, particularly with my fellow Game Chat League Gelati (Ave Gelati!), and with my wife, who humors my gaming so well that she is in denial of the fact that she is a fairly experienced gamer in her own right now! She has, in fact, several hundred plays of games with me since we've been together (almost 9 years!). She prefers worker placement games and deck builders, but she plays Twilight Struggle, Combat Commander, and many others with me as well.

I also play games with my Sister who lives in Florida via Vassal, and she loves Twilight Struggle as well. My son also loves to play board games, and his favorites are Chess, Legendary, Tsuro, Jaipur, Dungeon!, and Star Wars: X-Wing. He is a smart kid, and while he tends toward video games he still humors his old dad and plays my games, and does very well I might add!

I am on BGG every single day, whether it's on my phone only if I'm busy, or on my iPad, but I love coming here. I mostly spend my time in the forums for Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game answering rules questions and trying to keep up on things with the help of the entire Legendary community over there. It's burgeoned into a great little place, where we have solo leagues that occur (thanks Ed and Jason!).

I also spend a lot of time in the Wargames subdomain where I get to read about all of the games I don't have time or space to play! But also, there are some amazing discussions and chats there and I love reading if not actively participating in all of them.

I have volunteered my time to help playtest some games, but mostly I volunteer to edit/proofread rules. I love rules. They're delicious.

I have a degree in history, with emphasis on the French Revolution, Early American Religious History, and a minor in Classical Studies. I have loved history since grade school, and I love it even more today.

Outside of board gaming I spend a lot of time reading, often about something in which a game piqued my interest or along my lines of study. I also do Origami for fun and to relax when I have time, and I love riding bicycle and playing frisbee and disc golf when I find the time. I'm terrible at disc golf, fair at frisbee, and love them both.

Here are Jacob's two truths and a lie, but which is the lie?

Poll
Two truths and a lie
I once kicked a state senator off my property.
I once ate a whole 128 oz jar of dill pickles in three days while playing Diablo nonstop when it was released.
In fourth grade I got into a debate with the history textbook company representative in my classroom.
      76 answers
Poll created by entwife

Finally here's some questions to start things rolling (but I'll be back for more later on!)

What first brought you to BGG?

Who's your favourite Marvel character, and why?

You write about your love for rules, and enjoying editing rules, are there any particular rule-set features you'd like people to use more often?

What are your favourite fiction and non-fiction books?

What's your best origami construction? (The one that makes people go "Oooh!")

Do you have a favourite film, if so what is it and what makes it your favourite?

Will you be doing much gaming this Christmas, and if so what do you hope to play, and with whom?

I hope you have a marvellous week (you really deserve it), and I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb

Congratulations Jacob!

Have a great week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizard? If so, who? If not, why?
And which game (if any) is he/she from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Bavnshøj
Denmark
Brøndum
DK-9500 Hobro
flag msg tools
designer
NOW
badge
Visit us at www.osterskov.dk
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Jacob (awesome name). Have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Jacob! Here are some questions:

A Sunrise or sunset?
B Ocean or lake?
C What's the farthest place you've ever traveled to?
D If money (or nothing else for that matter) would be no object, where would you travel to?
E If you could go back in time and meet any one person you'd like to, who'd you meet and why?
F Your favourite pizza toppings?
G Any pets?
H What's the weirdest food you actually happen to love?
I What was the last book you read? Did you enjoy it?
J What was the last film you saw? Would you recommend it?

Enjoy your week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Williams
United Kingdom
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Jacob! I'm glad to see you as Geek of the Week.

Do you still play RPGs? If so, which?

What is your favourite RPG character class?

Have you ever played any Interactive Fiction computer games?

What are your favourite Legendary heroes to play?

What are your favourite Legendary villains to play against?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Jacob!

What's one thing you want to do that you haven't done yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Jacob. Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for thinking of me for this Kim! I am very excited to get to know everyone and answer everyone's questions. Let me start with yours!

What first brought you to BGG?

I actually used to visit BGG long before I signed up in order to just see what games were around. It took a long while to figure it out because I didn't come on that often. However, the reason I eventually signed up was because I was playing Combat Commander: Europe with a friend of mine for a couple of weeks, during which he insisted I keep giving it a shot after I didn't like the way cards worked, so I spent some time reading on the Geek about it, and we played one more time and everything clicked into place. It was amazing, so I decided to post about it in the Combat Commander forums, and so it truly began!

Who's your favourite Marvel character, and why?

Spider-Man. Hands down. I love how he is just a normal teenager burdened with so much stress and responsibility, but he never really loses that glib, smarty-pants sense of humor either. One of the most relatable characters in any comic universe, for me at least (guess I've never grown up )

You write about your love for rules, and enjoying editing rules, are there any particular rule-set features you'd like people to use more often?

Glossaries. I think that people forget sometimes that even though we use the same terminology most of the time for concepts in games, not everyone who plays games has played the same range of games as them. Most rules are pretty good about defining terms in them, but having a place to define terms that are used a certain way specifically for that game is very helpful, I think.

What are your favourite fiction and non-fiction books?

This is actually a very tough one. I love a lot of different books. If I had to pick 1 fiction book, it would probably be, collectively, The Lord of the Rings. It had such a huge impact on my life by opening up that whole, detailed world for me in sixth grade.

1 non-fiction book... I couldn't begin to narrow it down. I'd need a genre, maybe, but even then it would be difficult. A good example of a book that I think everyone ought to read is Humanity, by Jonathan Glover. It's a very stark wake-up call to the slippery slope we tread as co-inhabitants of this planet.

What's your best origami construction? (The one that makes people go "Oooh!")

I don't do anything original, unfortunately, but I do work on some more complex models. I love John Montroll's designs. My favorite use of Origami, however, is probably when I taught my son's first grade class how to make paper cups, and then did a "magic" trick by making a Kukuzara and then flipping it open in front of them to reveal the star shape inside. My son came up to me afterward and was so happy, he said "Dad, all my friends think you're the most awesome dad ever!" It still makes my day every time I think of it.

Do you have a favourite film, if so what is it and what makes it your favourite?

I like all kinds of movies, so this is tough as well. I honestly don't think I can pin this one down. I guess I could say the Lord of the Rings movies (not the Hobbit ones.. I'm trying, but... yeah..) and all of the new most recent DC and Marvel movies, including Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy. LotR because of my love of the books (I'm still upset that there is no Tom Bombadil in the movies.. but I digress ) and the comic book movies because they've done such a fun job of bringing all of my childhood heroes to life. I'm very glad to get to enjoy these movies

Will you be doing much gaming this Christmas, and if so what do you hope to play, and with whom?

Yes! Hopefully! I am hoping to play Twilight Struggle with my wife, which has become a sort of weird tradition. I'm also hoping to get to play Tsuro, probably some Splendor (thanks Secret Santa!) and I'm really hoping to get some games of Legendary in as well!

I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday as well Kim!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chadnorth wrote:

Congratulations Jacob!

Have a great week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizard? If so, who? If not, why?
And which game (if any) is he/she from?

Thank you!

My favorite wizard is probably Fizban from the Dragonlance Chronicles. I have this nagging feeling that most of my favorite Wizards are really all the same being (Gandalf, Elminster, Fizban, Merlin...) but Fizban has a fond place in my heart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jocab wrote:
Congratulations Jacob (awesome name). Have a great week!

Thank you Jakob! I rather like your name as well!

Have a great Holiday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jacob!

CONGRATULATIONS

I can't think of a worthier Geek of the Week than you. thumbsup

I continue to draw inspiration from your kindness and vast depths of gaming knowledge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Way to represent the Legendary BGG community, Jacob! Congratulations! I was so thrilled and happy to see this thread pop up in my subscriptions. Such a worthy selection. (Great job, Kim!) The way you so patiently, politely, and thoroughly answer rules questions has been such an inspiration to me, and your Unofficial FAQ file is a great resource to everyone who plays Legendary. And if there is any sense of community in the Legendary forums here, it is because you fostered it. I'll post some questions in the next few days, but I had to reply immediately to congratulate you and thank you for your contributions.

Jacob is the best there is at what he does, folks. *snikt*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agnieszka
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Jacob!

Have you got a favourite microbadge?

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Jacob, enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Jacob! Enjoy your week and Happy Holidays!

What wargame would you love to play that you haven't yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Jacob!

When you do play wargames do you have a favorite history period that you prefer?

Cheers,
Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Robson
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
designer
Available from www.spielmaterial.de
badge
Got a light, mate?
mbmbmbmbmb
Many congratulations Jacob

BTW - did you ever make it to Essen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
CONGRATULATIONS

Enjoy your week in the spotlight!

Questions:

d10-1 What is your most favorite game mechanic and why?
d10-2 What game are (were) you most looking forward to in 2014?
d10-3 If you could game with a celebrity of your choice, who would you choose and why?
d10-4 If you could add, delete or change something about BGG, what would it be and why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Jacob!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gratz Jacob! Well deserved! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Jacob! Enjoy your week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Too late, too late" will be the cry…
badge
…when the man with the bargains has passed you by.
mbmbmbmbmb
Grats! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahewlett
msg tools
mbmbmb
When I first joined BGG after I got the Legendary: Marvel Deck-Building game you were very welcoming and extremely generous to me with both your time and Geekgold. With the helpful FAQ and the timely fashion in which you answer questions has certainly made Legendary much more fun for me.

So with all of that I offer you a very big thanks and Congrats on your Geek of The Week!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.