Popular Tags: [View All]
Mario Aguila
Chile
Puerto Montt
Chile
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What type of decisions serves to establish some strategy? I would like to receive some idea to teach it to my friends and thus they have some reference in the first game (this would be our first 18xx game).
Reading the rules I assume some of this lines:

1.- Before auctioning the private companies, watching the map and to establish the zones of easier development, thinking about putting new stations and hotels.

2.- After the previous thing, to decide what private companies are more useful for that strategy.

3.- To establish what private companiy recovers the investment previously.

4.- To decide if to invest in a single corporation, the one that the player administers, or to diversify.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1.- Before auctioning the private companies, watching the map and to establish the zones of easier development, thinking about putting new stations and hotels.

In 18FL this is very much the case, iirc. In other games, there's privates that are simply way better than other ones, and then the private auction becomes an exercise in driving the price of those privates up to an 'acceptable' level.

it's also important not to get fixated... yes, you can drive the auction off predetermined strategy, but the opposite is more important: to tailor your strategy to which privates you have.

Quote:
4.- To decide if to invest in a single corporation, the one that the player administers, or to diversify.

I believe 18FL is designed so that everyone can open in at the start. If you can open at the start, doing so is almost always a good idea (there are limited circumstances when it isn't). It's also much more interesting: if you aren't running a company this operating rounds get a bit dull.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice for new players is "don't build to Havana before the 6/3E trains are purchased."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.