Subject: Difference between Scientist and Overlord rear ability? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert
Germany
flag msg tools
What is the exact difference between:

Scientist rear ability wrote:
Attack: Another hero in this unit makes a melee attack.

and

Overlord rear ability wrote:
Attack: Any hero in your unit makes an extra melee attack.
?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteWalker wrote:
What is the exact difference between:

Scientist rear ability wrote:
Attack: Another hero in this unit makes a melee attack.

and

Overlord rear ability wrote:
Attack: Any hero in your unit makes an extra melee attack.
?

hm... I'll leave this one for people more trained in subtle differences of wording. To me, it seems, they should be just the same. However, ceasefire lists attacks and extra attacks separately so there might be hiding something there that's not obvious at first glance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Crouch
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have played these cards as:
The Scientist allows another unit to make a melee attack in his stead. (He's not really the fighting type, and the substituted unit can still make their own melee attack during this wave.)
The Overlord attacks *and then* allows another unit in melee range make a free melee attack. One action still remains, making the Overlord a more powerful and flexible card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tristan, I'm not sure what you meant, but it doesn't sound right. I lean towards treating these cards in a very similar way. The only difference I see is that Overlord may choose himself, whereas Scientist cannot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd Crosby
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see one further difference. The Overlord allows a character to attack twice in one wave. The Scientist does not.
As an example, if you have the Fighter in the Rear wave attacking for 8 you could attack twice with him using the Overlord (for 16 total), while the Scientist could not give him a second melee attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The difference is subtle, and I can understand how it could be a struggle to understand it.

The first ability allows another hero to make an attack, provided that the hero has not yet attacked this wave. Each hero's attack may only be activated once each wave, per the rules.

The second ability provides an exception to this rule. It's accurate to say the second ability is "strictly better" than the first ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JR, I can see you're affiliated with Level 99 Games. Please tell me why Scientist does NOT allow you to make a second attack with the same hero, even though its Scientist's attack ability that's used. His wording is the same as Mascot's
"Another Vanguard hero makes a melee attack".

Yet we know that Mascot does allow you to attack with the second hero for the second time. With that said I see an inconsistency here. Either "bonus" word is redundant and Scientist does allow you to attack with the another hero for the second time, or Mascot works different than I thought (although I do recall that Brad made it clear how it worked on BGG).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel DeMars
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BartP wrote:
JR, I can see you're affiliated with Level 99 Games. Please tell me why Scientist does NOT allow you to make a second attack with the same hero, even though its Scientist's attack ability that's used. His wording is the same as Mascot's
"Another Vanguard hero makes a melee attack".

Yet we know that Mascot does allow you to attack with the second hero for the second time. With that said I see an inconsistency here. Either "bonus" word is redundant and Scientist does allow you to attack with the another hero for the second time, or Mascot works different than I thought (although I do recall that Brad made it clear how it worked on BGG).

This was my understanding as well - that the "exclusive action" restriction only applied if the action was taken normally and was not activated by another hero's attack power or order. I remember Brad saying something to this effect, but, unfortunately, it's lost in the bowels of a group-chat so I can't reference it. If this is the case generally, it would seem that the Overlord's and the Scientist's rear abilities are functionally identical (which is how I always played it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
They are intended to be identical, yes. This was in the dark ages before templating of card abilities was researched. Future versions of Pixel Tactics will correct things like this (or you can just get angry at Ithry instead of me... either of these solutions is acceptable )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
flag msg tools
Thank you for chiming in, Brad, and resolving the rules issue . (And JR too !)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteWalker wrote:
Thank you for chiming in, Brad, and resolving the rules issue .

. . . and JR too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.