Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Winter
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this game for the first time with four players and it was an okay time. The kids were screaming in the background and the table wasn't ideal for reading the already difficult to read cards, but everybody seemed to enjoy themselves.

Near the end of the game however, we were running out of cards in the draw deck sorely. We reshuffled several times and ended up drawing cards from a draw pile of a measley two cards! I didn't know what we would do if we ran out of draw deck completely. Does this happen very often? Is it supposed to happen? What do you do when you run out of cards? Seems like the game end could get stuck if everybody played conservatively at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mizz J
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never had this problem playingn Gloom. Technically you don't have more than 5 cards in your hand unless you have other cards that alter your draw limit - if you have seven cards but your draw limit is 5, then you play your cards and do not draw until you have fewer than 5 cards.

Are you playing your Modifier Cards correctly (the ones with special effects)- the effects affect the person who controls the card that the modifier is played on. Many times if you have a modifier card played on YOU... YOU must discard cards which go in the discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
We experienced exactly the same problem the first time we played (also with 4) and I posted the same question - I should have paged through the rules questions that were already there.

Someone posted a response that we may have been playing too much to try and max out the pathos value on each character and that may have been the case. However I still feel the rules should be robust enough to stop you running into this type of issue.

We have subsequently played with the house rules that an event card that is played is removed from the game, rather than discarded, and that the discard pile is only recycled once. If it is exhausted again on this recycle the game ends after all players have had one more turn, - with any actions requiring drawing more cards being ignored. Scoring is then as normal.

The above prevents recycling of an ever diminishing deck and the rapid recycling of powerful, and therefore completley randomising, event cards. It also puts a time limit on the game.

So far this has worked well. I suspect that this problem does not occur with less players anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Flemming
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
chad56s wrote:
We played this game for the first time with four players and it was an okay time...

Near the end of the game however, we were running out of cards in the draw deck sorely. We reshuffled several times and ended up drawing cards from a draw pile of a measley two cards!

The brief answer to your question is: Whoever had the lowest self worth didn't end the game.

Did you reduce your family members to 4?
"In a 4 player game, each player chooses 1 character to discard; this keeps the game from running long. To play with 5 players, make a new misfit family from these extra characters."

Assuming you did that correctly,

With 2 cards in the draw pile, I have to guess that there were a total of ~22 cards in the deck and in peoples hands (draw limit modifiers may change this, but without knowing I can only make an estimate)

you have have 4 family members.
If every player has 3 of their 4 family members dead
that leaves 10 untimely deaths in circulation (in hands and draw pile).
There are 11 event cards.
Making a total of 21 cards in circulation, so there may have been 1 or so modifier cards as well.

The question at this point is why didn't someone just kill their last family member and end the game? Whoever had the lowest self worth for their family should have just ended it.

Remember its not about having the lowest self worth. Its about having the lowest self worth on your _dead_ family members. So whoever takes out their last family member first has a whole extra character worth of points. Everyone else will just have fewer dead family members.

So keep you opponents family positive (or neutral) early on to keep them from killing them. Or kill them yourself while they have relatively small negative self worth.
Kill your own characters quickly. Personally I believe any character with -20 to -30 self worth is ready for an untimely death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.