Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actual table flip? No. Wanted to? Dominion after having two Possessions played on me and used to grab the two highest VP cards.

(still won)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Noetzel
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The worst I've had amongst players is dice throwing. My basement is 1700ish square feet and I use 1000 of it for gaming. One player, on a couple of occasions over the years, got so upset he threw the dice across the room. There are some I still haven't found.

On the passive-aggressive side, my 7-man-group was playing at a single guy's apartment and we kept World In Flames set up in his spare bedroom. It's a massive game with thousands of counters and many square feet of maps that takes months to play (at the rate of 6-7 hours a week). He got a live-in girlfriend and she "accidentally" flipped the board while vacuuming. This was the impetus to move to the safety of my basement game room - I don't vacuum the basement and my wife doesn't allow live-in girlfriends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
In one of my older gaming groups, there was a legendary table flip incident. A certain player (who shall remain nameless) was losing, and losing badly. So, when another gamer arrived (we'll call him "Noah"), said player famously offered Noah a dollar if he'd flip the board so they could all do something different.

Noah obliged, and was duly paid for his services. Complaints from other players were met with the rebuttal "but he paid me a dollar! A DOLLAR!"

Since then it has become a running gag for someone to offer Noah a dollar to ruin Game X if it was going badly (although he hasn't actually done it again, because it was really more of a one-time "you had to be there" thing.) Also popular are references to inflation and how it would cost $2 nowadays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back when I first got into gaming and before I knew that BGG existed I would play Settlers of Catan...a lot. I had a moment of rage where I threw my whole hand of cards, some dice, and a couple houses across the kitchen and under the fridge.

I wasn't proud when it happened and I had no good excuse (losing the game is never an excuse) and I was completely embarrassed by it. I spent much of the rest of the day apologizing for my behavior.

I kinda thought I was alone in this until I found BGG and have since read many threads on this topic. I even started a thread asking people how often they walk out of a game they are seemingly losing.

But it made me realize something...playing games is a hobby, an escape from the real life worries of my job, family, etc. and as such should be fun and relaxing. That is how I try to approach all of my gaming sessions now.

I haven't forgotten that incident...but I have grown from it.

The closest I have come in the last ten years is telling a close friend of mine to "Shut Up" after I had just lost a game of Fleet and he spent the next several minutes, as I packed the game away, telling me all the ways I could have played better. Even after that incident I apologized and explained myself (which I could have done at first and not lashed out), then he apologized because he was unaware what he was doing was poor sportsmanship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael W.
Germany
Böblingen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Niquilibrium wrote:
Have you ever had one of those games where a player does something that just makes your blood boil? Even the calmest of people can lash out. I've seen it happen and unfortunately found myself doing it one time. My particular incident was with one of the most laid back games that I know of, Carcassonne. A particular player and I were trying to kill some time, and decided to play a game while we waited on other people to arrive for the game session. About halfway through, I started noticing that he wasn't really trying to play at all, but was only trying to be a jerk and block me at every turn, but was never playing his own meeples to score points. He would wait and then block off cloisters, cities or anything he could do to get a rise. I don't know if he just didn't care for the game or what the problem was. I don't mind blocking or screwing up someone's plans to further your goal in a game but when you're only doing it to be a jerk, that's not playing the game. Finally after being unable to complete my 3rd or 4th city/cloister, I couldn't handle it anymore. I'm not proud of it, but I swept my arm across the table and sent tiles and meeples flying.

{*Please Note: It was my copy of the game. I would never have done this with someone else's property*}

I felt bad about it later and apologized but still it was infuriating. Personally, I try not to play with this person anymore to keep anything like this from happening again. Have you ever had an incident like this in a game? How did you handle it? Hopefully you handled it better than I did, if not we can always learn from our mistakes.

Strange, I always thought Carcasonne played best with 2 players just because you could effectively block your opponents 'projects'. Without this possibility of direct conflict it just comes down to what you draw. Way too random for my taste, but that's just me. Well, if he doesn't try to place any of his own meeples, he won't win that way so I understand your annoyance. Was this your first encounter with that person or did he behave in such a way for the first time?

On topic: Maybe I flipped a table while playing a game as a kid, but I am not sure. Since me being a teenager this didn't happen and even when I'm frustated, I am not even thinking about flipping the table. I will really make sure that I won't have to endure that very unpleasent game/people/group dynamic for another time, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Actual table flip? No. Wanted to? Dominion after having two Possessions played on me and used to grab the two highest VP cards.

That's just good play. I can't say I like it when people play well at my expense (except when it is awesomely well and there's nothing to do but applaud) but that's what they should do, and what I'd do to them. And as they have no choice on whom to play Possession, can't complain there either.

Now had you complaint been that Possession was ever printed, or that players agreed to play with it, that's a different story. Though not one to flip a table (but of course, as you say, you didn't).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickn99 wrote:
The worst I've had amongst players is dice throwing. My basement is 1700ish square feet and I use 1000 of it for gaming. One player, on a couple of occasions over the years, got so upset he threw the dice across the room. There are some I still haven't found.

On the passive-aggressive side, my 7-man-group was playing at a single guy's apartment and we kept World In Flames set up in his spare bedroom. It's a massive game with thousands of counters and many square feet of maps that takes months to play (at the rate of 6-7 hours a week). He got a live-in girlfriend and she "accidentally" flipped the board while vacuuming. This was the impetus to move to the safety of my basement game room - I don't vacuum the basement and my wife doesn't allow live-in girlfriends.
I have slammed dice on teh table, but have never done anything worse that I recall. I do not people who have actually thrown dice in teh bin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hornauer wrote:
Niquilibrium wrote:
Have you ever had one of those games where a player does something that just makes your blood boil? Even the calmest of people can lash out. I've seen it happen and unfortunately found myself doing it one time. My particular incident was with one of the most laid back games that I know of, Carcassonne. A particular player and I were trying to kill some time, and decided to play a game while we waited on other people to arrive for the game session. About halfway through, I started noticing that he wasn't really trying to play at all, but was only trying to be a jerk and block me at every turn, but was never playing his own meeples to score points. He would wait and then block off cloisters, cities or anything he could do to get a rise. I don't know if he just didn't care for the game or what the problem was. I don't mind blocking or screwing up someone's plans to further your goal in a game but when you're only doing it to be a jerk, that's not playing the game. Finally after being unable to complete my 3rd or 4th city/cloister, I couldn't handle it anymore. I'm not proud of it, but I swept my arm across the table and sent tiles and meeples flying.

{*Please Note: It was my copy of the game. I would never have done this with someone else's property*}

I felt bad about it later and apologized but still it was infuriating. Personally, I try not to play with this person anymore to keep anything like this from happening again. Have you ever had an incident like this in a game? How did you handle it? Hopefully you handled it better than I did, if not we can always learn from our mistakes.

Strange, I always thought Carcasonne played best with 2 players just because you could effectively block your opponents 'projects'. Without this possibility of direct conflict it just comes down to what you draw. Way too random for my taste, but that's just me. Well, if he doesn't try to place any of his own meeples, he won't win that way so I understand your annoyance. Was this your first encounter with that person or did he behave in such a way for the first time?

On topic: Maybe I flipped a table while playing a game as a kid, but I am not sure. Since me being a teenager this didn't happen and even when I'm frustated, I am not even thinking about flipping the table. I will really make sure that I won't have to endure that very unpleasent game/people/group dynamic for another time, though.

I would add, is it the fiorst time he played it?

Also dies he in fact like the game, or was he badgered into playing it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Conner
United States
Bridgeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah.
That sort of thing happens frequently with my group.
We've had tables flipped, noses punched, and all sorts of other exciting behavior!
Mostly over various versions of RISK and A&A.
But our group tends to talk a lot of smack and trolling of each other while playing. Inevitably, someone gets punched in the mouth or the board gets flipped.

Ah yes... the good ol' days!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thought has crossed my mind, if he was not putting down meeples you would have won.

So why not just wait until you won, and then took the right royal piss out of him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew S.
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games Where Some Guy Just Totally Flipped Out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played with a guy who didn't like the rolls he was getting on his die and threw it 30 feet across the room. I suspect that's the last time he's playing Evo too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson K
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone who does anything remotely close to flipping the table or throwing components acting like a child should be ashamed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandra SCHEHL
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I find the one game that brings this out is Ticket to Ride. We have a few friends who are known for their "dick moves" when it comes to this game. When someone steals the segment of a route that you need-when they obviously are not needing it themselves. I have never actually flipped a table over this, although the desire is strong. I did call someone the "C" word over it.(Upon which my hubby instigated the "No Name Calling" rule, now in effect with our game group.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tysonk28 wrote:
Anyone who does anything remotely close to flipping the table or throwing components acting like a child should be ashamed.

I'm pretty certain those of us here who've admitted to this behavior are apologetic over it.

There is no need to become sanctimonious...but I suppose you've never made a mistake in your life?

edit: punctuation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SandyGamingGirl wrote:
I find the one game that brings this out is Ticket to Ride. We have a few friends who are known for their "dick moves" when it comes to this game. When someone steals the segment of a route that you need-when they obviously are not needing it themselves.
That's not a "dick move". It's called "playing the game".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a table "sweep" before, but not a flipping, yet. And I've witnessed a fist fight during a game of Settlers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Years ago, I played Car Wars with a friend of mine. We'd both played against others, but never played together. So it ended up that our cars collided. I went by the rules, he went by whatever he could make up. So he decided that I needed to play his way. When I pointed out to him that his way was wrong, things quickly escalated, and he actually punched me.. 3 times.

When I wasn't phased by his punches, he started to move back pretty quick. And then the real fun began.

So, a fist fight, yeah I've seen those. A table flip, nope, never seen one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly recommend breathing exercises.

And 10 online games of Diplomacy - at the worst you'll destroy your own computer/laptop/pad and that should be a lesson to chill and relax next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a few rage-quits. I've never seen a table flip though.

spriggyman wrote:
Tysonk28 wrote:

I'm pretty certain those of us here who've admitted to this behavior are apologetic over it.

There is no need to become sanctimonious...but I suppose you've never made a mistake in your life?

Flipping a table over would be one heckuva mistake, especially if someone is no longer a child or a teenager. It's the sort of mistake that could get someone banned permanently in a lot of locales, certainly in mine, while second chances and forgiveness might be heavily dependent on whether the table and/or game were damaged during the temper tantrum.

EDIT - I've certainly seen my share of angry players. And sometimes it's even very justified. People can be jerks in games, and to just sit there quietly and take it, well, that can be asking a lot of people. So minor freakouts are understandable. I just have a hard time with the idea of damaged property resulting from it. That's all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MilesF wrote:
Years ago, I played Car Wars with a friend of mine. We'd both played against others, but never played together. So it ended up that our cars collided. I went by the rules, he went by whatever he could make up. So he decided that I needed to play his way. When I pointed out to him that his way was wrong, things quickly escalated, and he actually punched me.. 3 times.

When I wasn't phased by his punches, he started to move back pretty quick. And then the real fun began.

So, a fist fight, yeah I've seen those. A table flip, nope, never seen one of them.

Are you guys still friends, or was that the end of that?

(I assume you won the fight.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson K
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spriggyman wrote:
Tysonk28 wrote:

Sure, everyone makes mistakes. Most ten year olds can lose without throwing things tho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really a negative "table flipping" experience, but a bottled up explosion of joy. I used to be involved in a revolving DM D&D campaign at a game store. We had about 7 players and 2 of us would cycle DM duties every couple of weeks due to my work schedule. Apparently the other DM was pretty brutal in creating encounters and would pit people up against monsters way beyond the CR of the group.

One night when I was at work they were playing and almost had a TPK against some mind controlling illithids or something and only one player was left alive. He was this very, very introverted guy and hardly ever spoke up or talked much unless you really engaged him and even then is wasn't much, but he never missed a game and knew what he was doing. He played a Cleric, the last standing character, and was essentially down to him and this illithid and he kills it with some lucky rolls and proceeds to stand up, knock all the minis off the table and shove his finger in the DM's face and yells "Hah!! In your f___ing face!!! Woooooo!!!" and did some kind of celebration dance. Everybody was so shocked that they just sat there in silence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
UnluckyNumber wrote:
MilesF wrote:

Are you guys still friends, or was that the end of that?

(I assume you won the fight.)

We stopped talking for a few months. Became friends again, and then drifted apart as we got into having jobs, wives, kids, etc and I moved out of state. I don't think we ever played a game of any sort together again, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Many years ago I had a girlfriend who would occasionally flip a Scrabble board, sending the tiles flying all over the room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.