Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Something's got to give rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reaper Steve
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We played the tutorial and 3 missions (Aftermath, Sorry About the Mess, and Under Seige) yesterday. We had a great time and every game came down to the wire, with the win in the balance until the last couple activations on the last round.
Score one for tense and balanced!
There were a couple other positives we noticed as well:
No player was eliminated.
Objective-based games are a lot more interesting than stand-up fights.

However...
There's a price to be paid for having a tense and balanced objective-based game that doesn't encourage player elimination.
That price is a lack of verisimilitude when it comes to some decisions and movement.

Movement:
The freedom of movement is insane, but necessary. I really don't like how you can't block movement. Not only can you move right past an enemy, but you can actually move through them. But I understand why that's necessary... otherwise it would be too easy to block your opponent from his objectives. Even with this freedom of movement, it was difficult to achieve objectives. Which feeds into my second issue:
Decisions:
The game encourages and rewards--I'd say even requires--decisions that really break the verisimilitude. For instance, several of the scenarios we played required wounding characters. Once I (as the Imperial player) wounded a character, I had little reason to attack him further. Yay, that keeps players in the game, but it just seemed weird for the right choice to be to ignore the raging wookie because it'd be better to wound another character than finish one off.
The other verisimilitude issue ties back to movement. It every match there were instances where the best play was to sprint a figure right past/through multiple enemies to get to a terminal or a specific target.
I won a scenario by double-moving a Royal Guard through a huge melee and down the hall to claim an uncontested room. It actually took both Royal Guardsmen over two turns... on turn 7 one claimed one room, but then Jyn quick-draw killed him at the start of his activation next turn. So the second sprinted past and around the corner to claim the last room. But I mistakenly parked him next to the door and the rebels remembered they could attack him through it (scenario-specific rules), but they couldn't quite kill him. It was actually a fun and crazy sequence of events... but totally preposterous.
It seemed like the game ended on a downer, with the Rebel players feeling like I won due to abusing the rules, or because the rules were broken in the first place. "There was no way to block him!", they lamented. I tried to remind them that it was a tense game that came down to the very last round, and from my perspective, the only way I could win was by doing such an action, and that they benefitted from similar crazy moves in previous scenarios.

In conclusion, the wins feel gamey so far, but we had a good time with it. I guess that's the price to pay for an otherwise tense and balanced objective-based game.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Litchfield
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Reaper Steve wrote:
I really don't like how you can't block movement. Not only can you move right past an enemy, but you can actually move through them. But I understand why that's necessary... otherwise it would be too easy to block your opponent from his objectives.


Having played a number of Descent games where it essentially came down to a fist fight at a choke point because the hero couldn't get past, I would rather have it like SW:IA. Descent became extremely frustrating to play because the Overlord often used this as a tactic to win.

I'm playing my first SW:IA game today...very much looking forward to it!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
5 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reaper Steve
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
^ Verisimilitude?
Sure, the usage of the term (which I learned on BGG) might not meet Karl Popper's philosophical definition, but my understanding is that the game community accepts it as a reference to 'suspension of disbelief.'
Can you offer a better term? Using 'realism' only spawns further grief and I really don't want to have 'suspension of disbelief' as the only option.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just think of it as a fancy way of saying believable
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hristoforov
United States
North Hollywood
CA
flag msg tools
trilamb wrote:


haha was gonna post the same thing. anyhow, jedi are pretty swift so it makes sense that they can move thru enemies. and you can still body block shots make them spend actions on movement they would not otherwise have to. as someone else mentioned if u can body block then the game will deteriorite in 2 sides just sitting in front of each other shooting it out until either one side kills the other or the mission timer runs out, which will be a lot less fun. just yeterday i had a great game where i actually thought for a while how to position my guys in order to protect the last terminal and i did and it was very satisfying but it all came down to 1 shot in the end so it wasn't like they had 1 turn and i blocked the terminal so they auto-loose.

and as far as wounding/killing goes a lot of these games suffer from the problem where lets say a mission takes 45 minutes and you kill one of the guys like 15 minutes into it, he probably is not going to stick around so I think this is a rather good way of handling an issue of multiplayer games that has been around for ages.

besides there was not a lot of hero dying in star wars.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Neilson
United States
Mountain Home
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Unchecked climate change, global nuclear weapons modernizations, and outsized nuclear weapons arsenals pose extraordinary and undeniable threats" -The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists Science and Security Board. 1/21/16
badge
Troops of the U.S. Army 11th Airborne Division watch a plume of radioactive smoke rise November 1, 1951 after a blast at Yucca Flats, Nevada. (Photo by National Archive/Newsmakers)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Would house ruling a reaction shot (one) when a figure moves into the same space as an enemy help in these cases? So running past one figure would be doable but running a gauntlet of figures be difficult to achieve without taking serious damage?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OrlokSubedei wrote:
Would house ruling a reaction shot (one) when a figure moves into the same space as an enemy help in these cases? So running past one figure would be doable but running a gauntlet of figures be difficult to achieve without taking serious damage?


The game is play tested for moving through enemy figures. The missions are built around it. House rule all you want, but it probably breaks the campaign (i.e. favors the imperials strongly).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reaper Steve wrote:
^ Verisimilitude?
Sure, the usage of the term (which I learned on BGG) might not meet Karl Popper's philosophical definition, but my understanding is that the game community accepts it as a reference to 'suspension of disbelief.'
Can you offer a better term? Using 'realism' only spawns further grief and I really don't want to have 'suspension of disbelief' as the only option.


You don't want 'suspension of disbelief' as the only option so you use a word that is a reference to it. When actually you were saying that the campaign system ruins the escapism experience. whistle

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Verisimilitude can mean how well a narrative matches reality. Webster's definition: "the appearance of being true or real"
http://www.yourdictionary.com/verisimilitude

Seems like it was used well enough to me.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
joshaubry wrote:
Verisimilitude can mean how well a narrative matches reality. Webster's definition: "the appearance of being true or real"
http://www.yourdictionary.com/verisimilitude

Seems like it was used well enough to me.


Agreed. Some people appear to be using Wikipedia instead of their dictionary.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pangolinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Reaper Steve wrote:

The other verisimilitude issue ties back to movement. It every match there were instances where the best play was to sprint a figure right past/through multiple enemies to get to a terminal or a specific target.
I won a scenario by double-moving a Royal Guard through a huge melee and down the hall to claim an uncontested room. It actually took both Royal Guardsmen over two turns... on turn 7 one claimed one room, but then Jyn quick-draw killed him at the start of his activation next turn. So the second sprinted past and around the corner to claim the last room. But I mistakenly parked him next to the door and the rebels remembered they could attack him through it (scenario-specific rules), but they couldn't quite kill him. It was actually a fun and crazy sequence of events... but totally preposterous.


I know exactly what this is, as our Imperial player did exactly the same. Insane that we were unable to do anything, seems that you actually have to sit on the objectives on that map to have any chance of winning.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.