Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thierry Aradan
France
ASSAS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First 3 players’ game, yesterday.
After having experienced the game with 4, we perceived a great difference, mainly due to the reduced navigation capacity.
With 4 players, each player has 4 actions, and 6 actions with 2 players.
With 3, there are no more actions than with 4, but less boats in the “pipes” to push or be pushed, and less “bonus” moves (one less clipboard and one less captain in play, so at least 3 or more bonus moves not available).
After only one 3 players’ game under my belt, it’s too early to say if the game is better with 4, but it was a different game, more static…
----
Note to designers & playtesters:
I guess you probably experiment it with 3 more dice, thus giving each player 5 actions iso 4, and would be curious to know why this option was abandoned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also try using my Dummy Player AI variant in the files section to "add" an additional player to your 3 player games to increase the amount of movement going on the board. So far it's been a hit with my group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Rogers
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
They're Young, They're in Love... They eat LARD
mbmbmbmbmb
Thierry,

The play balance is sacrificed if the players have too many actions, at first it would seem too easy and then the reality of being over committed would set in making the companies unsustainable. Additionally the style of play and how the players commit thier actions is not the same in each player count - the 3-player is in some ways a more challenging experience, but after countless plays I am confident that the number of actions per player count is ideal as it was published.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
epilgrim wrote:
Thierry,

The play balance is sacrificed if the players have too many actions, at first it would seem too easy and then the reality of being over committed would set in making the companies unsustainable. Additionally the style of play and how the players commit thier actions is not the same in each player count - the 3-player is in some ways a more challenging experience, but after countless plays I am confident that the number of actions per player count is ideal as it was published.

Who is it ideal for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Aradan
France
ASSAS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Steve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.