Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Carlson
United States
Pepperell
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently picked up Risk 2210 AD, and have been itching to give it a go. My fiance and I set about preparing to slaughter thousands of innocent robots and got underway!

(Please note that this report is from memory, and I didn't take notes on actual army sizes, victory points, etc.)

Players: 2
Time played: A leisurely 3 hours
Setup & Scenario: 2 player setup rules, standard Risk 2210 rules

It appeared that a grim nuclear war had occured between the United States and Russia, as both the newly born American Republic and the Enclave of the Bear were buried below layers of radioactive dust. Lesotho was also nuked backed to the stone age. Iceland GRC (no doubt a secret American nuclear stockpile) was also reduced to rubble; this had by far the greatest strategic impact as it blocked access to North America for Europe.

Under 2 player rules, a hefty contingent of neutral armies was deployed. They were strongly present in Europe, Asia, North America, and several of the Water Colonies. Their deployment to the moon was, for the most part, an even spread.

Jaime (Red) and I (Green) alternated deployment, with a mighty build up of forces occuring in Africa and South America. Red's forces anchored their space station in the newly formed Khan Industrial State, while Green chose the Northwestern Oil Emirate.

YEAR 1:

Moving first, Red's armies advanced rapidly on multiple fronts. The Nuclear Commander was promoted immediately, and made his presence felt as he smashed his way into Imperial Balkania from the Warsaw Republic. The Asian theater saw the fall of Japan and Siberia, while North America saw the downfall of Canada. A solid first turn!

My Green forces lept into action, hellbent on securing South America. I forego bringing out a new commander, instead purchasing a couple of cards. Much to my chagrin, the tiny defending army of the Andean Nations mounted a stubborn defense, and my Land Commander had to slink back to his bunker. Curses! The African campaign fared far better, as forces moved into the Zaire Military Zone and Egypt. North Africa appeared to be falling under control.

YEAR 2:

Red laid low with a somewhat quiet turn. Command cards were purchased, and the ominous 'Scouts' card was loaded up with 5 armies... an Assault on Egypt proved to be their only immediate gain, and foreshadowed the massive amount of robot guts which would litter the region.

Green unveiled their Naval Commander, and dropped a massive expedition into United Indiastan. From there, a neutral-less Indian Ocean was rapidly subjugated! South Ceylon, Microcorp and Akara all stood under the green banner. The Amazon Desert Fortified, in preparation for a new assault on the next turn. The Ivory Reef was also quickly annexed by forces from the Saharan Empire.

YEAR 3:

Red's Naval Commander made an appearance, and an American Naval offensive saw both Poseidon and the Hawaiian preserve bite the dust. Forces from Khan moved into Hong Kong, threatening to overrun Asia. Attrition continued along the Egypt/Sahara border, resulting in a Commander/Commander standoff!

Green once again expanded into a New Theatre of operations, as the Space Commander appeared and launched an assault on Luna! The Bay of Dew fell rapidly, and only the stubborn neutral defense of the Sea of Rains halted a Cresinon takeover. A newly focused contigent from the Amazon Desert annihilated the Andean Nations, securing a second continental bonus for Green. Green's forces were spread thin however...

YEAR 4:

Red seemed to be deadlocked in multiple areas, with pockets of resistance keeping the continental bonus out of reach. A European offensive changed everything however, as Andorra was crushed from Imperial Balkania. To make matters worse for Green, scout forces emerged from hiding, creating a massive army ready to cross the Mediteranean! The newly formed Spaceport in the Saharan Empire attempted to blunt the assault, but they were crushed by towering mechs and the Nuclear commander of Red. Hong Kong launched a brutal offensive against United Indiastan, but the heroic efforts of the Green Diplomatic Commander prevented the loss of the critical Asian territory.

Calling upon the massive resources it had harvested from the Moon's surface and the floor of the Indian Ocean, Green crated an enormous force in Egypt to take back it's major crossroads to the west. A thunderous battle (augmented by the recently purchased Nuclear Commander) saw the Saharan Empire once again fall into Green hands... or whatever MOD's have. A sudden sneak attack into Alberta from the Oil Emirates gave Green additional breathing room.

YEAR 5:

Red's outnumbered forces attempted to play spoiler by securing the Saharan Spaceport yet again. This time, Green was ready with additional forces and 2 Commanders. The territory held, and Red was forced to hunker down.

Green pressed the attack to ensure victory, launching a massive North American assault. The Continental Biospheres and all of the US Pacific Water Colonies fell under their control with a decisive march along the coast.

After a great first game, I was able to pull out a win. The game has a nice learning curve, and we both felt comfortable with the mechanics quickly. I'd say the decisive moment came with my takeover of the Indian Ocean. The cards are awesome, and made this game a lot of fun to play. I nearly had a heart attack when the Mrs unvelied a massive assault force in Western Europe! She also made great use of the "Jamming Frequencies" card which prevented me from calling in reinforcements during her turn.

Very excited to play again, and hope to have a session with 3 or 4 people next time to see how it affects the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Van Voorn
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Much better than the original Risk if you want my opinion. I like the fixed number of turns, the bidding and the secretive card play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carlson
United States
Pepperell
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oetan wrote:
Much better than the original Risk if you want my opinion. I like the fixed number of turns, the bidding and the secretive card play.

Agreed. Risk was always that game in college someone dragged out at 11:00, and we'd still be playing at 5:00 AM The new version is faster, has more surprises, and plays really well. Can't wait to give it a shot with more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.