Vincent
United States
San Ramon
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Today's FFG rant had some details about the new edition:

Second up is Cave Troll: Second Edition. We just wrapped up work on this project and besides being gorgeous and a lot of fun, this game provides an amazing value for your gaming dollar. Not only do you get a beautiful new game board, cards and over 60 plastic figures, but you also get two games in one. You can either play with the original game characters or decide to play the alternate game with brand new hero and monster abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a big fan of the the original, so I have been curious what the 2nd edition would bring. I'm all for an alternate map on the flip side. (That was not mentioned, and is probably not the case, but it was an early guess as to what might be added.) A few optional characters would be interesting, perhaps a unique hero or two per team.

Still, I'm at a loss why this needs plastic minis. The original tokens had some great art, if small. (I think they just needed to trim the border a bit more.) The character draw is random. Thus, instead of simply drawing and playing tokens, one will need to draw a card to determine which mini to play. That seems like overkill for a pleasantly short, very playable area-control game with fun, dungeon crawl thematics. I also fear that the minis will make it more difficult to see the board. The tokens allowed quick observation of the state of the game.

I suppose there are a couple advantages to the card/mini combination. First, the card can explain the particulars for the character, instead of having to look on the old black & white rulesheet. (Although, it only takes a quick game or two before they are easily memorized.) It would also more easily allow variants in which a hand of characters may be choosen from. (I had played with this a few years ago, but the game plays great as is. This mostly just added to the decision tree, and, back then, one of my opponents was highly AP prone, so I filed it away.) Finally, although not a huge point, it would be nice to see more of that beautiful token art. In his previous rant, Corey mentioned liking the new art. I'm not sure if it will be all new or not, but I certainly liked the old.

I really do hate to bash it. I'm very glad to see Cave Troll come back in print. I'm an FFG fan, and this is a personal favorite. I'm happy one can play the classic version with the new edition. I usually love minis, and I'm sure the end product will look great, but I'm not convinced that this gem needed the plastic treatment. Part of the appeal of the original was its reasonably low price. In the end, though, I'm glad of the prospect of more people enjoying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
United States
San Ramon
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
An alternate map is a great idea. I hope they did that.

I was kind of shocked when I read there would be 60 minis. It is going to turn it into something bigger and more expensive than it was. There was something kind of quaint about the little box and the simple bits, but I'm excited to see this game get the treatment.

I'm going to keep my battered old copy until I'm sure the new one works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
I, as well, am very high on FFG efforts, and see them as a great leader of the industry sating my gaming lust. But, for Cave Troll, and even Drakon, since they are both dungeon crawl games, are both worth having and different enough? As an old fan of the TSR Classic Dungeon, do they really have anything new to offer?

Thanks.

Ray

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are interested in Cave Troll, there are plenty of comments and such on here to give you a feel for the game. The first thing you should notice is that it is most certainly not a dungeon crawl. It is a medium-light area-control game with a nicely integrated fantasy dungeon theme. Your goal is not to slay beasts or find legendary treasure, but you try to have the majority of adventurers in those rooms worth the most gold (points). It plays quickly and scales well from 2 to 4 players. There is a mild, but sometimes significant, chance factor, but proper planning most often prevails. If all that sounds interesting, I highly suggest you try it.

(Drakon, I believe, is a light dungeon crawl, but I've not played it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Frank and Gary! Between the both of you, all was answered perfectly. Oh well, it looks like two more games to add to the neverending list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For those that feared 60+ minis would jack up the cost, the game is only selling for 20-30 bucks at most places. Not bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
England
Harrow
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
GaryP wrote:
(Drakon, I believe, is a light dungeon crawl, but I've not played it.)

In case anyone here, nearly four years later, hasn't played Drakon, it's not a dungeon crawl. There is no combat or adventuring. It's a tile placement game where you either place a tile or move your pawn onto a tile and so activate that tile's power. It bears about as much resemblance to a dungeon crawl as Cave Troll and the two games share no mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.