Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just uploaded a file called 'Chess openings v1.' I typed out the main variations for e-pawn and d-pawn openings, as well as a few others. With a couple of exceptions, I only brought these out to 3 moves.

The file is intended for beginners. Think of it as crib notes for memorizing the names of common openings. There is no description or strategy included. It's just for learning the first few moves and what they are called -- a dubious skill, I know, but arguably worthwhile. I tried to stick to ones that have seen play in master and grandmaster games in the last 50 years, with a teensy bit of a lean to Bobby Fischer's games, but this is very far from being complete or even representative. My condition was that everything had to fit on two pages.

It's not at all obvious which openings should appear in such a short summary, but still, I hope it will be found useful. There's a little chess diagram on each page to aid in visualization.

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/19125/chess-openings

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Turner
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice.

When I used to play chess it was characterised this way:

1 Open 1 e4 e5
2 Half open 1 e4 other (sicillian etc.)
3 Closed 1 d4 d5
4 Half closed 1 d4 other (indian openings etc.)
5 Unorthodox 1 other (english, birds etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Finally got around to correcting some things. And I added the flank openings, while removing the silly ones:

Fool's mate
1 f3 e5 2 g4 Qh4#

Scholar's mate
1 e4 ... 2 Bc4 ... 3 Qh5 ... 4 Qxf7#

Although I had attempted to only use modern openings, I doubt I did that very well. Not sure there's any actual system to how I tabbed things, but hopefully it still makes sense. Of course, this file is still of dubious value -- online sources and chess software are much more comprehensive -- as many of the openings can transpose into others or into each other, especially the few flank openings I included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Franco, your link is not currently working.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks. Fixed that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.