Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven R
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received mine but what have a chance to meet up with my gaming group until after the Holidays. I'd like to here feedback, comments, reviews from others that have played it already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Lfseeney
msg tools
mbmbmb
I think most of us are doing inventory and sorting.

On the update section one of the Jeff's has a few plays, and mentioned them.

I may get a solo session in but no real games until after Christmas.

Too much to do and then cooking for 12.

Reading through I think we have a winner.

A few things to iron out but a game with this much going on is bound to have that.

Please let us know if you get a game in, and what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fliss
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
Damn fine soldiers, Cottonbalers by God! -- US 7th Infantry Regiment
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played three scenarios so far, all solitaire (my son will be home for Christmas and we should get at least one face-to-face session in).

I've found the game plays pretty well and many of the mechanics are similar to SMG.

The biggest differences I've had to learn are:

1. Range vs Distance -- the range for firing and spotting works a lot like SMG (squares count as one, landmarks as two); distance for movement and grenade throws are now squares vice the measurement in inches for SMG.

2. Landmarks -- are comprised of four of the regular 2.5" terrain squares. They count as two for range no matter where the soldier is within the landmark's four squares. Movement and grenade toss distance on the other hand count each component square of the landmark square.

3. Diagonal Movement -- may require two actions to complete for soldiers depending upon the terrain modifier of the square they start in. Also the "No" movement designation for certain terrain features (bocage for example) within a square precludes movement into that square from adjoining squares if the terrain feature is near a square's edge.

4. Take Cover -- Soldiers cannot take cover in a square unless it has a negative Hide modifier, even if the non-negative Hide modifier terrain square has bushes, trees, etc. depicted on it. Another big difference is that you do not count squares to determine if cover is taken, you only calculate the hide modifiers; but this includes the modifier of the square of the target the soldier is attempting to hide from as well as every square or part thereof that LOS crosses and the square the soldier attempting to hide is in.

5. 360-degree Shooting, Spotting -- soldiers are able to spot/shoot within a 360-degree arc vice the limited arc depicted on SMG soldier stands.

6. Soldier Hidden Movement Markers -- Each soldier has a hidden movement marker that is used on the board till he is spotted/fires. One side of the marker has a national emblem and the other side the soldier's name and dog-tag number. The national emblem stays face-up until spotted; once spotted you replace the hidden marker with the stand-up figure.

These are the biggest differences from SMG I've observed so far, but I've only used the medic from the advanced rules. I'm sure there will be more once I play a f-2-f game and try out more of the advanced rules. I realize these observations are comparisons with SMG, but I hope they are of some use to those who have no prior SMG experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve - FYI you can spot 360 in SMG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fliss
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
Damn fine soldiers, Cottonbalers by God! -- US 7th Infantry Regiment
mbmbmbmbmb
Charlie -- you are correct, my mistake! That's what happens when you hit submit without going through your post a second time first. Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.