Nathanial Barnes
United States
Montgomery
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience with the game, playing solo has been a ton easier than playing with others or several reasons. For starters, you only need to feed yourself, so your production phase food is good enough unless you need extra for something. In multiplayer you need to spend so many action tokens just on getting food every turn, which severely cuts down what you can do. Then there's the morale advantage in solo play too. You rarely ever need to worry about the morale tracker since it goes up one at the start of each turn in solo play. Then once it's at the top (almost always) you can heal yourself a heart each turn instead of taking determination tokens (which you'll have a surplus of from the morale tracker always being so high.

I just feel like there's so much less challenge in solo play because everything is pretty much taken care of for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like co-op games but they are perfect for playing solo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
I find some scenarios much, much harder with fewer players. For example, the Robinson Family scenario, where you need to build all of the extra items. That was a breeze with 4p, but very difficult with 1-2. There are balancing factors in general, but the scaling is not perfect between all scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A solo game gives you 3.5 action pawns per round (your own plus Friday and the supporting dog). A 4-player game gives you 8 action pawns per round. Although you'll spend some of those extra actions getting food and raising morale, it's still a big advantage.

As Eric stated, they each have their own strengths and weaknesses that make specific scenarios easier or harder at different player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Just do it !
badge
Enjoy Life.
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Beagle-expansion the goals of scenarios 3 and 4 are adjusted to the number of players.
For example "Collect 2/3/4 ....... in a 1/ 2-3 /4 player game".
"Volcano Island" also has different goals regarding number of players.
I think it´s absolutely legit to do the same in other scenarios, where the goals seem a little unbalanced for different numbers of players.
So in "Robinson Family", in a solo-game why don´t build 6 or 7 items instead of 9?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carl hilinski
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I am really stuck on Robinson Family solo (one character, Friday and the dog). The food thing combined with the half production book event cards just kill me. I'm either gathering for wood so I can build something or gathering for food if I decide to take the wood during production. And then add in the extra mouths to feed. Generally, I find I get the book event cards right up front...usually four in a row. Sometimes I play solo with two characters and Friday and I just don't find that any easier. I've yet to get to the 10th turn with either approach. I usually draw my characters randomly so that probably has an effect, too. Robinson family seems to be a heavy build scenario, so I suspect (but obviously have no firsthand evidence) the carpenter might have an edge here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chilinski wrote:
I am really stuck on Robinson Family solo (one character, Friday and the dog). The food thing combined with the half production book event cards just kill me. I'm either gathering for wood so I can build something or gathering for food if I decide to take the wood during production. And then add in the extra mouths to feed. Generally, I find I get the book event cards right up front...usually four in a row. Sometimes I play solo with two characters and Friday and I just don't find that any easier. I've yet to get to the 10th turn with either approach. I usually draw my characters randomly so that probably has an effect, too. Robinson family seems to be a heavy build scenario, so I suspect (but obviously have no firsthand evidence) the carpenter might have an edge here.

This sounds like you CHOOSE what you get during production phase...
You do know that you get BOTH sources during production phase, right? So when your camp is on a tile with wood and food, you get 1 wood and 1 food during production plus everything you get with the shortcut and/or +1 tokens.

Edit:
On second read, I realize, you are talking about the book icon... Then everythings fine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.