22 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Northeast

Subject: gaming in new york in february rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rusthoi Rusthoi
Sweden
flag msg tools
Me and my girlfriend is planning a trip to new york 6th to 22nd february and was wondering what games stores to visit and where you can find peoples to play boardgames with. Also looking for any conventions around those dates. Have been looking for totalcon but seems so expensive to sleep in that area. Anyone that has been there and now if its worth going there. If we go there we will stay one day in boston too before going back home to sweden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
fwiw you may want to be clear where in new york... which is a pretty big state (maybe bigger than sweden?)... maybe you meant new york city (ie. Manhattan)? if so see

http://tinyurl.com/nycgamestores
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only gaming Con in the immediate area during your stay is Dreamation from the 19th the 22nd. Highly recommended and much closer than TotalCon. Rooms are only $129 per night with the group rate and plenty of affordable food options in the area. Registration is only $60 per person for all 4 days. thumbsup

As for shops and game nights in NYC all you could ever want to know and more can be found in this thread.

Enjoy your stay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
As for shops and game nights in NYC all you could ever want to know and more can be found in this thread.

As is stated in that thread, there are actually no game stores in Manhattan that are an absolute requirement....The Complete Strategist on E. 33rd St is alright.

One a side note, if you do come up to Totalcon, I'd be more than happy to meet up and play some games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusthoi Rusthoi
Sweden
flag msg tools
Yeah I meant new york city. Havnt booked hotel yet but probably going for one in middle of manhattan about 45 minutes walk from compleat strategist. Havnt got response from work yet if I get free days of work yet so as soon as I get a yes we will be booking flight tickets and a room. But is no gaming groups or places where you can drop in for some games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you click on the link I posted you'll see there are a TON of game nights you can drop in on, plus a gaming cafe downtown open 7 days a week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keren Form
United States
Forest Hills
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ther is a monthly board game night during your stay that is fun and has a variety of people/games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Dang
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One would think with NYC as one of busier cities in the world that there would be a lot of game clubs/events in the city, but it feels like almost every other place has more than us...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NeoGenesisX wrote:
One would think with NYC as one of busier cities in the world that there would be a lot of game clubs/events in the city, but it feels like almost every other place has more than us...

Huh? I've travelled extensively and there's only a handful of places in the North America with a gaming scene more robust. Nyeek and NYCB&CG regularly draw out 40+ heads just to their weekly meetups in the Spring and Fall. Before NYeek had to split to multiple days and locations to manage croweds they were regularly hitting as many as 75 in attendance!

We've only got one dedicated shop and one dedicated gaming cafe in Manhattan itself but that's because rents are so insane, but the meetup scene and number of gaming cons has exploded in the last two years.

You can game without having your own personal group literally every day of the week, often with more than one option between the Uncommons, NerdNYC, Nyeek, and NYCB&CG plus another 7 weekly meetups across two groups in Queens alone. Then we've got 5 major gaming conventions within an hour of Manhattan every year and another 3 minor events if you include two upstarts in Long Island and one smaller but well established in Westchester.

Sounds like you're not even scratching the surface of the local gaming scene Ricky. There's already too much for me to keep up with at this point and many of the above groups are adding even MORE regular events just to service the demand. (Dexposure just added another con, ConnCon revived FalCon and also does MaybeGames, More weekend gaming days are being added by the meetup groups, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Dang
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh sheesh, I think we need a Geeklist of things XD Yeah I might need to do some more digging around, might be I'm not trying hard enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NeoGenesisX wrote:
Oh sheesh, I think we need a Geeklist of things XD Yeah I might need to do some more digging around, might be I'm not trying hard enough.

A Geeklist would be great actually. Even just keeping up with what's around has gotten out of hand. I'm way too busy to take it on myself right now but if no one steps up to do it by next month maybe I'll give that a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
NeoGenesisX wrote:

A Geeklist would be great actually. Even just keeping up with what's around has gotten out of hand. I'm way too busy to take it on myself right now but if no one steps up to do it by next month maybe I'll give that a go.

Some people even trek out to Long Island (but you may need to ensure your passport is up-to-date, I guess).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
NuMystic wrote:
NeoGenesisX wrote:

Some people even trek out to Long Island (but you may need to ensure your passport is up-to-date, I guess).

Hey Chris! I did at least mention LI even though the post I was responding to was specifically about NYC. That said, passports are less an issue these days than the having access to Dog Sleds and Snowshoes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
Lemur wrote:
NuMystic wrote:
NeoGenesisX wrote:

Hey Chris! I did at least mention LI even though the post I was responding to was specifically about NYC. That said, passports are less an issue these days than the having access to Dog Sleds and Snowshoes.

true dat!

It is, however, awesome practice for the Iditarod, so there's a bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As a fellow New Yorker unaware of the goings-ons, I let me second (or third) the need for a geeklist/BGG resource/schedule of NY events! I did not know about any of this, just the dark and dusty glances I get at Compleat Strategist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are into video games at all, keep an eye on IndieCade East, Feb 13-15th.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Dang
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
NeoGenesisX wrote:

Hum, I think I should be able to manage a list but I need to figure out where to find all the information for the meetups/gaming locations. Maybe split the list into one block for stores, another for events, etc. Is there a limit on the size of the text per entry? Not sure if it's wise to have 1 entry per event as I am not aware of how you would sort the difference between a store and an event or a meetup, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NeoGenesisX wrote:
NuMystic wrote:
NeoGenesisX wrote:

Hum, I think I should be able to manage a list but I need to figure out where to find all the information for the meetups/gaming locations. Maybe split the list into one block for stores, another for events, etc. Is there a limit on the size of the text per entry? Not sure if it's wise to have 1 entry per event as I am not aware of how you would sort the difference between a store and an event or a meetup, etc.

Don't really see any reason to make distinctions between store and meetup game nights. Especially since there's crossover there. For example NYCB&CG hosts a regular game night at 20 Sided. Definitely agree about not having one entry per event though as that would be chaos to keep current.

Probably best to just have one Geeklist entry per organization and then bullet point the regular (and irregular) events they host and the locations. Links will allow anyone to then dig deeper for the current dates and times.

So for example one Geeklist entry each for the following:

- Nyeek
- NYCB&CG
- Queens Board Games Meetup
- Forest Hills Board Gamers
- Syosset Boardgames Group
- Westchester Gaming Group
- NerdNYC
- TheUncommons
- LIBOGroup
- Twenty Sided Store
- Compleat Strategist
- Game Master Games
- Dexposure
- ConnCon
etc.

Since I already have first hand experience with most of the above (and some more besides) and can offer at least a basic write up about each, I'll try and throw something together by Feb 15th. If there's nothing up by then give my dragging ass a nudge and I'll provide you with enough links to get something started on your own. Once it's up and running I'm sure the community will fill in any significant blanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusthoi Rusthoi
Sweden
flag msg tools
Any gaming groups or any gaming events this saturday/sunday in manhattan or close to it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rusthoi wrote:
Any gaming groups or any gaming events this saturday/sunday in manhattan or close to it?

Do you like Whole Foods stores?

http://www.meetup.com/nyc-boardgames/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like Zoch games is doing a demo night at The Uncommons on President's Day. They are likely in town for NY International Toy Fair that week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusthoi Rusthoi
Sweden
flag msg tools
Mat628 wrote:
rusthoi wrote:

Do you like Whole Foods stores?

http://www.meetup.com/nyc-boardgames/

Never heard of them before. But i wrote tjem up so if we are nearby then we might show up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.