Warhammer: Diskwars» Forums » Rules

Subject: dwarven miners rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anders Buch
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If my objective is to get discs to enemy deploy zone, can I reinforce three miners to a terrain located in the enemy zone? In a two player game this would be 15 guaranteed points if you can do it at the very last action in round 5?

Assuming off course that the other dwarves survive five rounds with the three miners waiting idle in reserve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
This is correct.

That said, if you can hold off your enemy sans 21 points worth of units you probably deserve to win anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, not only that but also it needs you to have that particular objective. Remember that you build your army first, then you get the objective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Buch
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes that's right. It only works if the miners also has some other purpose when you don't pull that objective. And you might need to be second player with a slow card to guarantee the enemy cannot counter the tactic and have some units ready waiting for the miners at the very last turn.

But in theory it still sounds a bit too powerful when you have that objective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Sweeney
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
most of my wins come from killing all the other enemy units, I can not image you would survive holding back, but maybe you could run around the board avoiding engagement . It would be an interesting game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
I think you'd find that the armies in disk wars are too mobile for you to avoid engagement for a long time. All the other player has to do is destroy the rest of your army and force you to reinforce the miners to avoid instant elimination before turn 5. 21 points worth of units not being used is the equivalent of having lost a bloodthirster and deamonette before the fighting even started and I can't imagine you'd find it easy to put up sufficient resistance like that.

About there only situation I can see it working is if your enemy just lacks the activation phase damage to deliver more than one wound to Thorgrim a round who might make it to round 5 sitting pinned underneath a pile of enemy melee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MechaBri Zilla
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot reinforce directly into an enemy deployment zone.

So you would need to bring the miners in on turn 4, not 5. Unless you have some way to remove activations, like rally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot reinforce directly into an enemy deployment zone with flank. The dwarven miner ability gives no such specification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MechaBri Zilla
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... I'll have to re-read my rules on this one when I have a moment.

But seems cheesy to me, and against the spirit of the game. Essentially, you could have an auto win that comes in the last card of the last round of the game. I don't think this was the intended use of the miners. But since it is RAW, I'd allow it, though I'd never do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MechaBri Zilla
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here you go, from the FAQ

Overlapping Enemies and Deployment Zones
A player cannot deploy a disk pinning or overlapping an enemy
disk. A player also cannot deploy a disk overlapping an enemy
deployment zone.

The miners ability seems pretty clearly a type of reinforcement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
So to clear things up, that means it should be legal. Deployment is not reinforcement and those rules don't apply to reinforcing with special abilities (for example reanimate or Kairos can most definitely be done pinning enemies). The miners specifically say that they cannot be reinforced overlapping enemies but nothing about deployment zones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MechaBri Zilla
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know. I think this is a question for FFG. I'll send it in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MechaBri Zilla
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So... I was wrong.

On Jan 5, 2015 5:39 PM, "Lukas Litzsinger" wrote:
Brian,

Thanks for the question. Yes, the Dwarf Miner can be reinforced in an enemy deployment zone. Hope that helps,

--
Lukas Litzsinger
Game Designer
Fantasy Flight Games
llitzsinger@fantasyflightgames.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Buch
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks MechaBriZilla for the clarification and the effort writing FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.