Mr. Mighty
msg tools
mbmbmbmb

As subject asks, how does a 2 hero setup win against the imperials (yes, we have removed the probe and the big gun) on the starter quest?

Both entrances can't be blocked, and even if a a hero takes out 2 of the stormtroopers, the other one can almost always move and activate the terminal.

Or, 1 trooper can go up to the door, open it, and then a different one can move to terminal.

Are we missing something? It feels like we are missing something.

ALSO: Does Gharkans special ability the "charge" one, allow him to double his movement then attack ( so he would move 2x speed then attack?) Or does it just allow him to move and attack for ONE of his 2 actions that turn?

THANKS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was under the impression you use all 4 listed heroes regardless of number of players. Besides, the into mission is just to show you how the rules work. It doesn't need to be competitive or balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on which 2 heroes you take.

1. You need to use strain effectively, to get movement in time to make your attacks.

2. There is a possibility that you need a high mobility character and a melee character that can get in range for either attack.

3. It will still be down to dice rolls.

4. Don't forget that rolling surge can be used to reduce strain.

5. Since you're playing defensively, you want the imperial players to waste their turn opening doors.

It's still really close. I played and almost won as the imperial player, but the rebel players just got some good dice rolls.

Some are better than others at the intro mission. It doesn't take a lot ot take down 3 health storm troopers, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Mighty
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Actually, you can use 2-4 heroes.

We just can't seem to find a way that the Imperial side doesn't win on turn 2....just odd that it would be so fast, with no apparent way for the 2 heroes to stop it...Like I mentioned, we think we are missing something, and it would be good to know what it is before moving into a more complex version of the game.

EDIT: to the post above, the stormtroopers (of which there are 3) one can open the door, while the next one can move past and interact with the terminal? Or do all three only get a combined 2 actions? if that makes any sense? So if one trooper opens the door, then the other troopers couldnt both move AND interact??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How are imperials getting to the terminals in 2 turns?

Especially if you aren't opening the door for them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Mighty
msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Move 4 spaces towards the NW door (and closest terminal) for round 1. Round 2, one trooper opens the door. One of the other 2 move 4 more spaces and interact with terminal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the other stormtrooper is at the door at the beginning of round 2, there's no way for him to make it to the terminal and activate it. He can double move to the terminal, but can't activate it.... and if the heroes are both in the way, he has to spend 2 movement points to move through them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Mighty
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok I just double checked the setup for the intro quest. I am talking about the terminal where the red #6 is for map setup in the "read first book".

Troopers can move 4. First turn they can get 1 space from that door, moving diaginol. Round 2, one opens the door, the terminal is only 3 or 4 spaces away from trooper 2 who moves his 4 and interacts with the terminal.

The setup shows a total of 2 terminals and 1 crate right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, that terminal, you have to open the door first.

And order of activation matters, because it means that if you start at that door, you can open it and take a shot.

The best the Imperials can do is hope to get there in a single turn if you open the door.

But if you do open the door, you get first activation the next round and get your choice for free attacks.

So, let's say you had someone at the door, you can open, get off a ranged attack. The storm troopers move up turn 1, you will still get to activate before them in turn 2. not only that, they can't hurt you enough for it to matter...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe folks need to introduce the advanced rules for the Rebels to make it tough for the Imperials. The Advanced rules talk about how figures control tokens and spaces.

The basic rules already say that while you can enter a space with a figure, but you can't end your turn with one in the same space. The advanced rules go further to say that if a friendly figure is on or adjacent to a token, hostile figures can't interact with it until the friendly figure is eliminated or somehow moved away from it.

If it is permissible for the Rebels to enter and remain in the spaces with terminals, then they can camp there until the Imperials defeat one or move one away.

In that case, I suggest putting Fenn Signis on (or adjacent) to the terminal at the end of the long hall. He can pick off 'Troopers that approach him. Put Diala Passil with the other one. She can try to defend it and Melee anyone who moves next to her. Team Jyn Odan with Fenn and have her cover the approach to his terminal from behind a wall. Team Gaarkhan with Diala and have him move to Melee anything he can reach once the door to that terminal springs open. The Rebels will probably need all of their activations to arrange this.

If you'd rather use them another way, have Jyn and Ghaarkhan camp on the closest terminals immediately. Get Fenn moving towards Jyn and Diala towards Gaarkhan. Have Fenn cover the long hall for Jyn and Diala Melee bad guys for Gaarkhan.

Let the Imperials open the doors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won with the rebels one or two.
I tend to start by opening the west door myself and having a shot at a storm trooper.
If you can take one out this makes life more difficult for them.
They cannot really affor to split up.
It's really a short sharp shock mission but quite winnable

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
The basic rules already say that while you can enter a space with a figure, but you can't end your turn with one in the same space. The advanced rules go further to say that if a friendly figure is on or adjacent to a token, hostile figures can't interact with it until the friendly figure is eliminated or somehow moved away from it.

Where's this rule? I missed it. The Interact section in the Rules Reference book has no such stipulation. This is true for Control, there can be no enemy figures around, but as far as I can tell I don't think an enemy can stop you from Interacting (unless they had a figure on the space and every adjacent space around it).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
BradyLS wrote:

Where's this rule? I missed it. The Interact section in the Rules Reference book has no such stipulation. This is true for Control, there can be no enemy figures around, but as far as I can tell I don't think an enemy can stop you from Interacting (unless they had a figure on the space and every adjacent space around it).

-shnar

I'm applying a generous interpretation of the advanced rules (which technically aren't in play for the introductory scenario) for Retrieving Tokens and Controlling Tokens and Spaces (on page 9 of the Learn to Play book) with a dose of common sense. If you allow tweaking the mission so that the Imperials can't interact with the terminal unless they can force the Rebels away from it, then it might be more of a game for the Rebels.

Otherwise *shrug* yeah, bad day to be a Rebel!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:

Otherwise *shrug* yeah, bad day to be a Rebel!

As it should be, Rebels were always on the losing side until something lucky (read: Han Solo) happened

K, just making sure there wasn't a rule I was missing.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vious
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, this may be way off base, but maybe the tutorial was setup specifically to show the Rebels the type of tactics they should be using in a campaign. This would explain the role reversal some have mentioned, and serve as a quick and dirty lesson for inexperienced gamers playing the Rebel side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vious wrote:
Now, this may be way off base, but maybe the tutorial was setup specifically to show the Rebels the type of tactics they should be using in a campaign. This would explain the role reversal some have mentioned, and serve as a quick and dirty lesson for inexperienced gamers playing the Rebel side.

This. The intro scenario is going to be almost impossible for the Rebels if the Imperial player is playing soundly. It's just an intro, someone else mentioned in another thread that if possible you should have the first real mission set up nearby and just jump right into that. With experienced gamers I think the intro mission can just be skipped entirely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the tutorial is too easy for one side, what does anyone learn about the game? You don't play it long enough for the repetition of doing things and resolving odd situations to sink in. Then you have to learn it all over again with the first "real" mission and the advanced rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Mighty
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok, So it appears we were the only ones that thought we were missing something with regards to the intro quest.

How about the 2nd part question:
ALSO: Does Gharkans special ability the "charge" one, allow him to double his movement then attack ( so he would move 2x speed then attack?) Or does it just allow him to move and attack for ONE of his 2 actions that turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mighty1 wrote:
Ok, So it appears we were the only ones that thought we were missing something with regards to the intro quest.

How about the 2nd part question:

He can either move, then charge (move + attack); or he can charge (move + attack) and then regular attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vious
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
If the tutorial is too easy for one side, what does anyone learn about the game? You don't play it long enough for the repetition of doing things and resolving odd situations to sink in. Then you have to learn it all over again with the first "real" mission and the advanced rules.

It could be seen as a lesson in keeping moving, as the objectives are what's important. Otherwise the tutorial is just to show the basic actions and how they work, not unlike the X-wing tutorial. Again, not sure if a tactics example is what the designers intended, but my mind made the connection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.