Subject: Egyptians + Rationalism = certain Tech Victory rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott W
United Kingdom
Scotland
flag msg tools
mb
We came up against this combo tonight and by the time the rest of us were researching our first Tier 3 technologies, Egypt was preparing to buy the Tier 5. They can quickly fire out a free Aqueduct or Trading Post per turn and use Rationalism to avoid having to reset their trade dial - and in this case the player drew the Colossus as her free Wonder, so add +3 trade to all of that per turn. They then spend their main city actions on military units. Is there any way to counter this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunpowder and Combustion (both of which can destroy buildings) might help. Teaming up against the common threat, also. But that's a tough situation for sure. You can't stop them from researching if they have the trade to spend, so attacking their trade generation and other infrastructure is the way to go. If you draw Culture cards that let you change spaces into different spaces, that might help as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What were they doing to accelerate their tech building? If they were not advancing on the culture track and earning the culture cards to learn free techs from other players, it would take them 14 turns, regardless of all the trade they get and keep, to learn Space Flight and win the game. You should be able to win in fewer turns with other civilizations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hgcoleman wrote:
What were they doing to accelerate their tech building? If they were not advancing on the culture track and earning the culture cards to learn free techs from other players, it would take them 14 turns, regardless of all the trade they get and keep, to learn Space Flight and win the game. You should be able to win in fewer turns with other civilizations.

The OP mentioned that they're using Rationalism, which lets you research a level 1 or level 2 technology during the Start of Turn phase for 6 and 11 trade, respectively. The part I do not understand is "use Rationalism to avoid having to reset their trade dial". Rationalism lets you pay a certain of amount of trade in order to get a tech. That accelerates your level 1 and 2 techs at the cost of getting level 3 later (though you could stagger the turns to get a three then some combination of 1s and 2s).

Setting that aside - usually the easiest counter to a tech rush is just go and kill one of their scouts or flags. Take 3 trade as loot. Or try to block their trade structures (or The Colossus) with a flag. Losing just one turn of a tech advancement is often enough to severely hinder their chances, given that tech is usually the slowest victory route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My bad - I should have reviewed the Rationalism card before posting. However, there is either a Wonder or a Great Person or SOMETHING that does allow one to retain unused trade after the Research Phase because I, too, had that ability one game. Coupled with Rationalism, it was rather easy to do a tech rush to victory. I posted about it, but I searched and cold not find the post. I'll have to dig through my game to see what gives that ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bli bla
msg tools
mbmb
hgcoleman wrote:
My bad - I should have reviewed the Rationalism card before posting. However, there is either a Wonder or a Great Person or SOMETHING that does allow one to retain unused trade after the Research Phase because I, too, had that ability one game. Coupled with Rationalism, it was rather easy to do a tech rush to victory. I posted about it, but I searched and cold not find the post. I'll have to dig through my game to see what gives that ability.

Tech victory before W&W was too "hard" to achieve. It only happened in games a lot focussed on Military but noone can take the capital of another player and the game last until someone get the tech victory.
W&W added the possibility of a tech rush tactic with Rationalism & Education, which is a good thing on my personal view.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hgcoleman wrote:

You might be talking about the Greek civ power - and indeed Rationalism + Greece is pretty sweet. Can still be stopped, it's just harder. Greece (and the other F&F Civs) is stronger than Base and W&W civs, we used to give them to the new players to give them an edge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. I had the Greeks that game. All of us were relatively inexperienced players and by the time they realized I was about to win a tech victory, it was too late to stop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gaal
Hungary
Tennessee
flag msg tools
You should use the updated version the Greece, where the mentioned ability is changed: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4241

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kadma wrote:
You should use the updated version the Greece, where the mentioned ability is changed: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4241

That's a great point - unfortunately that FAQ was released after we wrapped up our Civilization marathon one of the comments our group and other groups gave during the W&W playtest is that Greece needs an errata, so it was satisfying to see it updated in the FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.