Justin Steinberg
United States
North Miami Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Anything you can do, I can do better."

One idea I had about variants for this game is an equal powers variant. It works best with 2 players. With 3 it's not that bad and still doable. With 4 you'll need something else to use to keep track for the 4th players buy of the same card, since there is ever 4 cards per category and the top card needs to stay out for all to see.

Players share one set of powers, but must still buy all of them to get the End Game card. This variant helps prevent a lot of unbalance some people make mention of and MIT have between one players set of abilities vs. another players abilities that work more synergistically (or better even).
------

1. Make stacks for the different numbered development powers cards.

2. Flip over the top card in each pile. This is the power that is available for that development to each player. Place the rest of the same development type face down beneath the top card. These cards will be used to keep track of which player has which ability at any given time.

(Optional Blind Variant: keep the top cards (the one used for the abilities for all players) face down, the first player to buy a card in each category of cards flips over the top card and ales a cars from underneath the stack. The revealed card on top is the shared ability amongst players.

3. On a players turn if they have enough money to purchase a card, they take a card beneath the top card, and place it in front of them. This now means they have that ability for use.

4. Other players will at some point need to buy the same power, when they do, they take another card from the stack beneath the top card and place it front of them as well.

5. Once a player has purchased all development power cards, they may purchase their End Game card in front of them.

6. End game conditions are the same. Same with a tie.

7. Enjoy!
-----

After a good number of plays the normal way, and even with a blind variant of not looking at your special cards, this variant I think balances things out for those who want an equal playing field for powers.

This variant actually uses the same powers between players, so everyone is on an equal footing for abilities. This makes the game more strategic instead of relying on an asymmetrical distribution. more strategy than luck between good abilty use amongst players. Runaway leaders due to specific cards working really well together is no longer an issue, since everyone will have the same abilities.
---

Another variant: Auction style the face up cards. So if one player could purchase a card in a marketplace version of the game, other players may bid on it as well. Only issue ismifmthere is a runaway leader with money, they'll just buy the most cards, and have a larger advantage over the other players. Will need to workmitmout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I simply don't see the problem with the asymmetrical powers. If someone becomes too 'powerful' (and I question that any of the powers are imbalanced), people will ally to knock them down.

It's all just a bit of light fun anyway!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Steinberg
United States
North Miami Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people have issues with the asymmetrical aspect of the game, because some powers work very well together and if one player has a more synergistic combination amongst powers, it makes it very easy for them to win the game. Other players dislike this "unfair" aspect, even though they have their own special abilities.

It's just another variant for those who want to try a way of keeping the powers neutral to both parties, so the only "leg up" someone might have on someone else is merely the gameplay itself. That's all. Personally I like the regular way to play, but my sister who really enjoys Black alert mentioned cpahe likes both styles, and doesn't mind one over the other, so I made this variant more for her than anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I don't mind this variant at all. Makes keeping track of everything much easier. Might try it next time I play this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.