United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
These TANGA puzzles have brought back memories of the puzzles that Aaron Weissblum included in his blog over at Gamewire:

http://gamefest.com/news/blog_aaron

I eventually managed to solve most of them, but there is one (#15b) that I've never been able to solve. I wrote the puzzle on my white board at work when it was first published, and haven't erased it -- it's been there staring at me for two freakin' years! The answers tended to be names of games, but that may not be the right category for this one. Can anyone solve it?

http://www.gamefest.com/news/blog_detail/1420_0_17_0_C/

For those who cannot access the site, here is the puzzle:

3 3, 11 5, 17 6, 30 all

Thanks!

- Phil

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ireton
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that Aaron has been revealed as the Tanga puzzle author, it's funny you noticed the resemblance. Good eye goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, how's this? Here's the two part puzzle:
Quote:

Challenge # 15:

Can you name two games, each with at least four letters in their titles, whose letters combined anagram to a third game? The long game name may not contain either of the shorter game names intact and it must be one word, not hyphenated.

Challenge #15b:

3 3, 11 5, 17 6, 30 all.

I looked at this puzzle when you first posted it and had no idea. But now that it's been revealed that Aaron and Tanga are one in the same I had some insight. A lot of Tanga puzzles had to do with taking specific letters from words and combining them into new words. What if this puzzle was a little preview of what's to come?
Spoiler (click to reveal)

3 3 - Third word in puzzle #15: "name", third letter: 'm'
11 5 - Eleventh word, "letters", fifth letter: 'e'
17 6 - Seventeeth word, "combined", sixth letter: 'n'
30 all - Thirtieth word, "either", all: 'either'

So, what's the answer to the original problem, "Can you name two games... blah, blah, blah?" Me neither.

Edit: Spoilered the final solution in case you want to discover my answer for yourself with my little hint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
ARGH!! No wonder I couldn't solve it, I was only looking at half the puzzle! That insidious Mr.W...

Thanks for putting my mind at ease, Sean!

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielfreak wrote:
ARGH!! No wonder I couldn't solve it, I was only looking at half the puzzle! That insidious Mr.W...

Thanks for putting my mind at ease, Sean!

meeple

Did you erase it off your board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.