Popular Tags: [View All]
Damian M.
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to admit I was scared off by the "confusing" and "rule heavy" claims some people were making, still, I just couldn't shake the feeling that this was exactly the kind of game I would like. Well, turns out I was wrong... I freakin' love this game!

Every game has a learning curve, every great game has depth. Yes, you will need to learn how the different keywords effect gameplay but the dungeoncrawler.com website is literally PACKED with info and tutorials, and developer response to questions is nothing short of stellar. I spent an evening on their website learning the game, then an evening playing the game using a crib sheet (courtesy of BGG user garybrooks, thank you!) for quick reference of the keywords. I'm now completely comfortable with the rule-set and eagerly awaiting my next opportunity to get Dungeon Crawler to the table. My only regret?

Why didn't I get this sooner!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Not Gandalf
United Kingdom
Gateshead
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
I secretly play games multiplayer...
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion it is a superb solo game and overlooked by many.

It can be played in other modes but this works brilliantly solo.

Every encounter is a challenge to overcome but you have to use things wisely (including wounds) as the challenges aren't isolated and keep coming.

Someone compared this to Mage Knight: The Board Game and for me this scratches a similar itch but require less set up.

There are a lot of keywords (perhaps a few too many in the base set - should have allowed expansions to increase them slowly) but once you get them down it plays smoothly and is a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is looking very tempting, but I can't shake the feeling that it will be another Dungeoneer, just sitting on my shelf unplayed for years...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jey Legarie
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, @ $25 would that break the bank? whistle

I certainly can't give any guarantees, it seems to be a love/hate relationship with ppl. It was our intent to make the entry price very reasonable.

On the topic of Dungeoneer; I also bought it, played it once and never picked it up again. There was nothing wrong with it, it just didn't capture a feel I was looking for (I barely remember the game play). DC is very different from it. I really liked the artwork for Dungeoneer, though, so I've kept it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greyhaze wrote:
Well, @ $25 would that break the bank? whistle

laugh Fair point Jey!
I've added it to my list of games to pursue in 2015...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wlfgmr3 wrote:
I have to admit I was scared off by the "confusing" and "rule heavy" claims some people were making, still, I just couldn't shake the feeling that this was exactly the kind of game I would like. Well, turns out I was wrong... I freakin' love this game!

Every game has a learning curve, every great game has depth. Yes, you will need to learn how the different keywords effect gameplay but the dungeoncrawler.com website is literally PACKED with info and tutorials, and developer response to questions is nothing short of stellar. I spent an evening on their website learning the game, then an evening playing the game using a crib sheet (courtesy of BGG user garybrooks, thank you!) for quick reference of the keywords. I'm now completely comfortable with the rule-set and eagerly awaiting my next opportunity to get Dungeon Crawler to the table. My only regret?

Why didn't I get this sooner!

It's biggest problem was at release. Trying to figure out the game at release and the blatant attempt to hide the fact that it was a money pit CCG didn't help their cause.

As I understand it they have corrected these things since then but first impressions mean a lot. Lessoned learned I hope in their case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian M.
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha! Yes, totally scratches the Mage Knight (probably my all time favorite game) itch, especially when fighting multiple enemies having 1+ stamina. Get your attack in (ranged), survive the retaliation (block), then clean up the baddies (melee). It even feels like assaulting a city when you get a combination of bad events or terrains you have to work around. So rad, awesome comparison.

As far as release problems are concerned? Meh, I'd rather have a developer put out a good game, take criticism, then change their product to meet fans and critics desires, making it into a truly epic experience. I have plenty of games that are fine; good rules, lots of hype, clear understanding of how they play, no confusion as to what you'll be getting for the price point. But that's just it, they're only... fine, and they stay that way, mostly on my shelf, forever.

I consider (and yes this is only one man's opinion) Dungeon Crawler to be an evolved product, and that's not a bad thing. If you like meaty games with tough decisions, actual thinking and immersive (honestly I feel like I'm in the dungeon peering around corners; awww man! I just used my fire attack and now the ONLY Phantom in the deck gets paired with an Evil Altar?, shoulda known better...) gameplay, get the starter. I got everything, I'm hungry for more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jey Legarie
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bearn wrote:
It's biggest problem was at release. Trying to figure out the game at release and the blatant attempt to hide the fact that it was a money pit CCG didn't help their cause.

We had a very rough release.

Our inventory got held in customs for 2 months for our grand opening at GenCon, it never made it. We had a very limited number of copies to sell at the biggest gaming event of our careers (so far).

The first critic of our game declined seeing a demo, checking our website, or forums. At the time we only had pdf rules, based on our design intention of having the rules online and only the guide book in the starter box. It turned out that our first critic was also someone well rooted in BGG, and we were very new.

We also launched as a CCG (says so on the starter box) AND our manufacturers messed up the collation for our boosters which were 1 starter + 1 booster box = 1 full set. Although I will say that we did not hide the fact that it was CCG. We later changed it to an ECG when we converted the Boosters to Delve Packs (the starter was never random).

Our first impressions certainly stunk.

bearn wrote:
As I understand it they have corrected these things since then but first impressions mean a lot. Lessoned learned I hope in their case.

We've been working hard to survive distribution.

Converted our random boosters in to static delve packs and even reworked them so that they work with 1 set = a complete set as vr 2.

Made a tutorial and game play demo video.

Filled out our forums with the advice and guidance of some great folks along the way.

Updated the rules online.

And frequent BGG to answer as many questions as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Once I saw Thunderstone: Advance I wondered if Dungeon Crawler would also benefit from a reboot? No small amount of work, I am sure.

I don't say it because I feel the game is broken. I do not feel that way.
I say it because Thunderstone Advance seemed to get a lot of attention with the rerelease. I am of the opinion that Dungeon Crawler deserves as much attention.

In fact, Thunderstone was never on my radar until Advance came out. Could it work the same way for DC, I wonder?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jey Legarie
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A re-boot I think would draw plenty of attention and re-consideration from gamers, but it is very costly to do so. It would likely be far more successful than our current plan tbh, however, it would likely be too expensive for us to do right away.

Our original plan was to release a Starter/Booster set, then 4 expansions before doing a super Booster Set, then another 4 expansions and then cycling back around to another Starter/Booster set.

It didn't work out that way.

When we do do our new Starter Set, we'll be including a proper rulebook and written demo in starter box.

So, it's not really a re-boot per-say.

Our current plan is to release 3 more Expansions and a Scenario Pack, then a Starter/Delve set with full rules included. This will take us a while to do, but we are working on it.

Granted because this is such a long process, we can certainly consider the reboot instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
novato novato
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing game, please do not stop your work.
Played a lot of games since my days playing Dungeon Crawler. Always back again and again.

PS: Still miss Jared's arts cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.