Subject: Let's Celebrate Another Milestone! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Calvin Moore
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Unless I am mistaken, the release of The Source bumps the cardpool up to 583, finally eclipsing the original Netrunner's 580 cards.

While confirming this, I ran across the website Netrunner Central. It is devoted to the original game, and has archived a bunch of strategy articles written online in the 90s. I've been reading through a bunch of articles written by "Frisky" and "Neal", and it's fascinating.

I got into A:NR right at the start of the Genesis cycle. I was in the store picking up my core, and the clerk pulled What Lies Ahead out of a shipping box. Online everyone was arguing about the timing ruling on the recently spoiled Disrupter. HB fast advance was in vogue.

My favorite part of Netrunner has been getting to watch it grow. It started off so small, and weirdly lopsided. But as economy engines have come online and card combos emerged, the game has filled out surprisingly well. Watching cards like Jackson and Kati hit the scene has been awesome. I remember my mind being blown reading that Jinteki work compression article, also that article about binary ICE.

It's fun reading these original Netrunner strategy articles, but also a bit humbling. Everything I've learned about the game, these guys mastered almost twenty years ago. And they did it as true cyber cowboys, arranging meet ups through newsgroups over modems. I know I'm romanticizing things, and there are plenty of people reading this who were around for the original game. Still, it's been crazy reading these things.

Also a little sad. Neal's last article sums up the slow collapse of the game. It's pretty melancholy, but also very moving. And I love the way Frisky ends it:

" My plan has been to conduct this Manafest tournament next week -- come play! come play! June 13, South San Francisco Conference Center -- and then retire from Netrunner until -- nyuk, nyuk -- an expansion is released. To that end, I've blown the dust off a few chess books. If you've never played chess, it's pretty cool -- playable right out of the box."

Does anyone know if Frisky or Neal are still out there, or if they have any opinion on A:NR?

In honor of the eclipse, share memories of how you got into the game, or anything else interesting about O:NR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bier Fuizl
Germany
flag msg tools
R.I.P. Neal. He died in a car crash couple of years ago and didn't live to see NR coming back online cry.

Frisky posted a bit on the old NR mailing list in the early days of A:NR: Netrunner Oracle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Bierfuizl wrote:
R.I.P. Neal. He died in a car crash couple of years ago and didn't live to see NR coming back online cry.

Frisky posted a bit on the old NR mailing list in the early days of A:NR: Netrunner Oracle

Wow, that's sad.

But perhaps we can still ask Frisky, perhaps he has a Twitter account or something like that.

I also asked Zvi Mowshowitz about what he thought about the new Netrunner, given he tried to buy and re-release the game many years ago but he told me he hadn't tried it haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aingeru Malkav
Spain
Bilbao
Bizkaia
flag msg tools
mb
Frisco Del Rosario
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aingeru wrote:
Frisco Del Rosario
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools

"Last Login: 2011-07-14"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
By the way, one would think that at least one of those 583 cards would be World Domination, but FFG hates fun or something
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're giving us Government Takeover. I thought that card was less likely than World Domination...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corwin David
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only played a little original netrunner. My buddy and I bought a box at a convention and tried to build decks and learn the game. We bungled it, to be sure.

When ANR came out I heard a lot of good things so my buddy Ross and I split a single core set to try it out. No more than a week went by where we had both bought our own stuff and were looking for the first data pack that had just been released.

This game does a lot of things that keep me interested. The dynamic of the game makes a lot of ideas possible and can keep the game play fresh even when you're playing the same deck all day. And it's cheap.

Overall I would say that they made a good choice resurrecting the game and made better choices when they added influence and identities to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
Australia
Newcastle
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bierfuizl wrote:

I know I was sad when I found out. It would have been really interesting to see his take on the current game.

Neal's Last Words ONR website, for any who are interested.

DJhedgehog wrote:
Overall I would say that they made a good choice resurrecting the game and made better choices when they added influence and identities to the game.

Couldn't agree more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Thomas
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Calvincent wrote:

" My plan has been to conduct this Manafest tournament next week -- come play! come play! June 13, South San Francisco Conference Center -- and then retire from Netrunner until -- nyuk, nyuk -- an expansion is released. To that end, I've blown the dust off a few chess books. If you've never played chess, it's pretty cool -- playable right out of the box."

Wow, that takes me right back. I remember Frisco-- hell, I probably played in that tournament. What an odd (but heartwarming) thing to remember.

That convention is now KublaCon (and not very CCG-focused, unlike back in the day). Last year was my 20th straight year of attending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frisco Del Rosario
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
Calvincent wrote:
Does anyone know if Frisky or Neal are still out there, or if they have any opinion on A:NR?

Hello, this is Frisky AI.

A year ago I spent $100 on A:NR expansion cards (I very much wanted to explore the cards with chess motifs), but never opened the packages. 20 years ago I could spend several hours tinkering with decks, cards, ideas for Frisky AI writing — these days that time just isn't there, especially not for my old friends, who didn't bother looking at A:NR, and who attempted — unsuccesfully! — to give away thousands of old cards.

With neither the time to study A:NR sufficiently nor an available pool of opponents, my interest in A:NR never went anywhere. I considered attending conventions with A:NR activity, but I admit my ego hated the idea of showing up at a tournament and not feeling a hush falling over the room at my arrival — like the whispers of "Leopold!" when Bugs Bunny put on the conductor wig.

I didn't want to start over as a nobody, especially when the other players were bound to be 30 years younger than I. The kind of respect I had in the old game was going to be difficult to re-establish, and who's got the time.

I'd like to try the new game, but again my ego gets in the way of seeking out new play partners. I'd rather folks climb the metaphorical mountain to seek wisdom and guidance from the ancient master.

I apologize if this sounds like I'm overly full of myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
KC
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
Thumbs-up for the candor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wanderingmystic
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ego's always it's own beast, but if you do decide to haul out and play with total (younger?) strangers, don't worry! I'd say we have the most awesome community of players globally, and everyone is just the nicest, and most helpful.

Also, I'm suprised at the number of guys who are 30+ years old playing this game. It definitely appeals to an older crowd of gamers as well as the young (I myself being a gamer over 30 years old).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corwin David
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cattekin wrote:
[q="Calvincent"]
I apologize if this sounds like I'm overly full of myself.

I got a chuckle out of this for sure. laugh

2 things can be said:

At least he's honest
At least he apologized

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Blumklotz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur, join us we are a merry band and have folks of all ages playing the game. Quite a few of us played the original (I am 47).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.