Hide
3 Posts

Resident Evil Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Alliance or Outbreak expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan D
msg tools
I own the base Resident Evil Deck building game, as well as the Nightmares and Mercenaries expansion packs.Just wondering which one I should go for next, alliance or outbreak? Some info on the specifics of each and the reasons for why one is a better choice than the other would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you're going to get a full set, you probably want both and sooner than later, game being OOP (not to mention dead), stocks are going to thin out eventually.

I personally got Outbreak together with Premier, but mostly for the damage and health tokens laugh . Alliance was the last set I bought, wasn't keen on the whole Partner-mode (still haven't even tried it), but the Alliance Mansion has grown on me (it's tougher than the Premier mansion and Explosive Barrels can be hilarious). I also like the normal Story mode better than Outbreak-mode, which is Story mode with a timer. Unfortunately, the timer really goes one of two ways, if "By Any Means Necessary" Action is in the game, Infection level becomes moot, if BAMN isn't in the game, the game almost always ends with someone turning Infected and then killed to end the game, boss from the Mansion is rarely defeated, I really like the boss-killing ending.

In terms of characters, Alliance has 1 mode-specific character, Josh Stone only works when playing Partner-mode (or you could play him in other modes, he's just a handicapped character with no level up abilities), while Outbreak has 3 mode-specific characters that have abilities relating to Infection cards of Outbreak-mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Briand
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a strong suspicion that my wife may have purchased Mercenaries, Outbreak & Nightmare for me for x-mas (since it's the only thing I really asked for, lol).

MiniatureMarket has a great price on them, but they are out of stock on Premier and Alliance (Alliance isn't even listed).

If you can get your hands on Alliance, I'd go for that one first since it is availability is growing thin considering it's the older of the 2.

I currently only own Premier and Alliance, so I can't comment on the differences between Outbreak and Alliance except to say that Outbreak generally gets positive reviews as being the expansion that fixed a lot of the base sets shortcomings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.