Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you.
badge
Good and evil; there never is one without the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played 3 two-player games so far, one on each of the different levels. We've not come close to losing

The last game on highest difficulty level we one with only one outbreak and less than 1/2 way along the infection track. We've never had more than 4 outbreaks before winning.

We used different rolls each time (so 6 of the 7 included in the game).

I've read and reread the rules to make sure we are playing correctly. Possible I'm still missing something, but I can't tell what.

Have others found it to be pretty easy to win? This seems too easy to me (don't think it will get much play if we can't make it more challenging).

Would appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
El_Tonio wrote:
We've played 3 two-player games so far, one on each of the different levels. We've not come close to losing

The last game on highest difficulty level we one with only one outbreak and less than 1/2 way along the infection track. We've never had more than 4 outbreaks before winning.

We used different rolls each time (so 6 of the 7 included in the game).

I've read and reread the rules to make sure we are playing correctly. Possible I'm still missing something, but I can't tell what.

Have others found it to be pretty easy to win? This seems too easy to me (don't think it will get much play if we can't make it more challenging).

Would appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks!

You are definitely doing something wrong. Are you drawing the right number of dice each turn? Are you re-rolling all dice in the Treatment Center when there's an Epidemic? Are you only giving samples at the end of your turn, before rolling for the cure? Are you only sending a single die from a continent to the Treatment center, or from the Treatment Center to the bag for each syringe? Are you populating the board with enough dice in the beginning? Are you only moving a single space with boats?

I mean, I suppose its possible if you are managing to Roll for the Cure successfully on your first try each time, you might be breezing through it.. but that seems really unlikely. I could see if you were scraping by, but to be "not even close to losing" on the hardest difficulty tells me you're making a mistake somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
You are most likely doing something wrong. There is no way that you should be finding it this easy.

A few things to check:

1 - When your biohazard rolls lead the infection track across one of the epidemic marks (every five spaces), you have to pull the number of dice from the bag plus all the dice in the treatment centre and add them to the board.

2 - After each players turn, you need to roll the appropriate number of dice (according to the infection level) and add them to the board

3 - Outbreaks will cascade if the movement of extra dice puts the next space above 3 dice.

4 - Samples can only be taken from the treatment centre

Can you write up a quick session report of one of your games? It is hard to tell what you are doing wrong without reading/seeing one of your games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trab
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:

This is what we discovered after our first play; makes a VERY BIG difference! The game is really easy to win if you think you can take samples from regions, instead of from the treatment centre...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NO.

I would say just the opposite.

We find the game very challenging.

So either you are the most amazing dice roller ever, or something is not right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InkSplat wrote:
Are you re-rolling all dice in the Treatment Center when there's an Epidemic?

1 - When your biohazard rolls lead the infection track across one of the epidemic marks (every five spaces), you have to pull the number of dice from the bag plus all the dice in the treatment centre and add them to the board.

I think this is what we've been doing wrong. Not sure how I missed it. I can see this making huge difference in the game. Will play again tonight and make sure we do this right. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we played the second difficulty level saturday and got smashed...surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a solid 10% win rate going right now. I had 4 of my dice plus 2 more for rolling the cure and rolled 12 twice.
In for a tough game lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Connors
United States
ME
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We usually win, but just barely! (starting at normal, will try a higher difficulty soon)

We just had an awesome one: 3 cured and 1 mark away from losing to outbreaks.
"Bases loaded" with dice!
The scientist had only a few dice with which to try for a cure (we usually try to have AT LEAST five dice before attempting cure).
We cured it and won. Otherwise we would have definitely lost during the "infect" for that turn.
Good times... good times...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Connors
United States
ME
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bartjes wrote:

This is what we discovered after our first play; makes a VERY BIG difference! The game is really easy to win if you think you can take samples from regions, instead of from the treatment centre...

Yeah, and you need to keep the samples bottled up under your die until ready to try for a cure OR if you give the sample to another player. Makes a big difference too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
El_Tonio wrote:
InkSplat wrote:
Are you re-rolling all dice in the Treatment Center when there's an Epidemic?

I think this is what we've been doing wrong. Not sure how I missed it. I can see this making huge difference in the game. Will play again tonight and make sure we do this right. Thanks!

Well, that made all the difference in the world! Not sure how I missed this, but it made the game much better and more challenging. Thanks again for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trab
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
captdad12 wrote:
Bartjes wrote:

Yeah, and you need to keep the samples bottled up under your die until ready to try for a cure OR if you give the sample to another player. Makes a big difference too

Just to be sure:
If you give the sample to another player, you still need to keep it bottled up under YOUR die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bartjes wrote:
captdad12 wrote:
Bartjes wrote:

Just to be sure:
If you give the sample to another player, you still need to keep it bottled up under YOUR die.

Yeah, this is important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Another big thing is that even after an epidemic you still need to roll for the infection phase. A couple new players I taught snagged the rules from me just to make sure it happens that way! XD Overall on Standard the wife and I have been able to win a fair bit of the time now after a few plays. The only major snag has been doing the Researcher (Black) and Scientist (White) combo. With very limited movement (no planes) and sample bottles weighted more heavily, we had a very hard time managing outbreaks.

That said, bad luck and more players definitely ramp up the difficulty. At a recent event I played my first 5 player game and it was a remarkable disaster. Not only was the team not on the same page (tackling two diseases at once), but we also had the worst luck rolling. Failed to roll a cure on 6 AND 7 red dice sampled. Yep, ~10% chance for failure does actually happen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trab
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Results of our 2 player games so far:
2 wins out of 7. Not bad, not bad ;-)

If I remember correctly, the 2 wins were from these two combinations of roles:
- Researcher & Generalist (we won pretty easy, but also had some luck with dice rolling)
- Medic & Dispatcher (quite tough, though)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must be doing something wrong as well because I also found this game extremely easy and came here to ask the same question. I've only played twice (both solo with 2 roles) so the likelihood is good that I'm doing something wrong. After breezing through the first game I discovered the caveat that you must pull samples from the treatment center. So I corrected that problem in the second game and found that it somehow didn't make much of a difference (obviously it did make a gameplay difference, but I didn't end up any closer to losing). I read the thread here and believe I am doing all the noted things correctly. I seem to be rolling too many CDC crosses, rolling too few biohazards, and hitting too few epidemics. Going to have to read the rules again and maybe watch some walkthroughs. Glad to know it shouldn't be this easy; I was going to be pretty disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oph1d1an wrote:
I must be doing something wrong as well because I also found this game extremely easy and came here to ask the same question. I've only played twice (both solo with 2 roles) so the likelihood is good that I'm doing something wrong. After breezing through the first game I discovered the caveat that you must pull samples from the treatment center. So I corrected that problem in the second game and found that it somehow didn't make much of a difference (obviously it did make a gameplay difference, but I didn't end up any closer to losing). I read the thread here and believe I am doing all the noted things correctly. I seem to be rolling too many CDC crosses, rolling too few biohazards, and hitting too few epidemics. Going to have to read the rules again and maybe watch some walkthroughs. Glad to know it shouldn't be this easy; I was going to be pretty disappointed.

You do re-roll all starting CDC crosses, right? Your initial seeding roll isn't allowed to produce any. Also, rolling tons of CDC is dangerous, as you lose if you run out of dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trab
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oph1d1an wrote:
After breezing through the first game I discovered the caveat that you must pull samples from the treatment center. So I corrected that problem in the second game and found that it somehow didn't make much of a difference (obviously it did make a gameplay difference, but I didn't end up any closer to losing).

Huh?
Instead of using only 1 action to treat and take a sample (as you played with the wrong rules), you now need to take twice as many actions to have the same effect (1 action to treat, and 1 action to take a sample). In other words; you need many more actions, which means you need more turns, which means you normally roll more biohazards, which means the infection syringe goes faster around the ring...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Bartjes wrote:

Just to be sure:

Really?

I have had the question answered that you need to keep your dice locked on your card until a cure is found (which I had got wrong), but to say that your player die has to be passed to another player is not at all clear in the rules. Dice stay locked until you pass samples, isn't that correct? That would not mean that your die gets passed to another player when giving samples.

Can someone actually clarify in detail what is supposed to be happening with locked dice when A) rolling for a cure and B) passing samples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trab
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoffW wrote:
Bartjes wrote:

Just to be sure:

Really?

I have had the question answered that you need to keep your dice locked on your card until a cure is found (which I had got wrong), but to say that your player die has to be passed to another player is not at all clear in the rules. Dice stay locked until you pass samples, isn't that correct? That would not mean that your die gets passed to another player when giving samples.

It's not that literally in the rules that you have to pass your player dice too, however on page 6 it states, that when you've successfully rolled for a cure:

Quote:
3. Hand the player dice that 'bottled up' these samples back to their owners.

This suggests that when you give a sample to another player, you still need to keep it bottled up under YOUR die. You only get it back when you've succeeded in finding the cure.

Edit: clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played twice today in the easiest setting (1 solo with 2 characters, the other a 3P game). Got smashed due to chain outbreaks. Man this game is brutal! This is my first 2 plays by the way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Bartjes wrote:
Quote:
3. Hand the player dice that 'bottled up' these samples back to their owners.

This suggests that when you give a sample to another player, you still need to keep it bottled up under YOUR die. You only get it back when you've succeeded in finding the cure.

Thanks for the answer. I checked the Spiel 2014 video with Matt Leacock and got further clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas B
United States
Monroe
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bartjes wrote:

Wow, yeah that makes a big difference. My Wife and I have played a few times and aside from losing once where everything went bad from the start (multiple outbreaks and an epidemic before the first round was even over) we have won pretty convincingly each time. This would make a huge difference, and I don't know how I missed this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Mykkanen
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are most likely doing something wrong. There is no way that you should be finding it this easy.

I missed this rule and the one about your dice staying locked when you transfer samples to another player. Playing these rules right makes a huge difference in difficulty (for the better)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jose
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am WAY on the other end of the spectrum. I came here thinking that we must be doing something wrong because we usually lose during the second round. We only made it past round four in one game out of ten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.