Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Newman
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With all the different expansions of Carcassonne and the fact that many seem to use a bag or the tower to draw their tiles from, I was wondering if anyone marks their tiles so they can separate them easily if they want to remove one or more expansions? If you mark them will you please share your methods here for others to consider? Thanks.

GameGuy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mark my tiles, but I've thought about doing so.

If I did, I would use those little dot stickers. I assume they have a more official name. They are different colors and are about the size of a pencil eraser.

I'd use a different color for each expansion. I'd also mark the front of the tile, not the back. We usually draw ahead of our turn, so you can plan better, and you wouldn't want anyone to know which expansion the tile you are holding came from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't...but the dot stickers is a good idea, and one that I use for the Settlers expansions and main game.
I have two sets of Carcassonne...one with all of the expansions combined...and one with only the first two...Traders and Builders and Inns and Cathedrals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
Little dots on the backs with different coloured Sharpie markers is what I used. But, part of the fun now is, after the game, trying to pick out all the expansion tiles from looking at the fronts, sort of a metagame after the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Newman
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
asmiles wrote:
I'd also mark the front of the tile, not the back. We usually draw ahead of our turn, so you can plan better, and you wouldn't want anyone to know which expansion the tile you are holding came from.

I think that's a great idea. I have been thinking about just using a permanent marker and just making small dots across the bottom of each tile. I would do different number of dots for different expansions.

I was also thinking about the idea of having multiple tiles in your hand. I kinda like it but have never played that way. I was thinking that maybe Scrabble tile holders would be nice for this.

Thanks for sharing.

GameGuy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Palpatine wrote:
I don't...but the dot stickers is a good idea, and one that I use for the Settlers expansions and main game.

It takes me about a minute to separate the Settlers expansions using the inventory in the manual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne is inexpensive enough that it is the only game which I have marked on the tiles.

I used a perminant ink marker on the expansions, E for expansion, T for Traders and Builders, etc.

The advantage of the marker over the label is that it does not add anything to the thickness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy W
United States
Wheatfield
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just took a normal ball point pen and put a small letter on the bottom corner of the front of each expansion tile, I think it was a C for Inns and Catherdrals and a T for Traders and Builders. You don't really notice it at all during the game, but it makes it really easy to put things away. Once I finally get around to opening the other expansions, I plan on doing the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
caffinedrenchedfrog thegreat
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Settlers and its expansions, I was feeling particularly witty when I decided to deferenciate them:

X = eXpansion (Cities and knights)
C = seafarers or cfarers

heh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Newman
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbabcock wrote:
I used a perminant ink marker on the expansions, E for expansion, T for Traders and Builders, etc.

The advantage of the marker over the label is that it does not add anything to the thickness.

Great point about the thickness. This just helps confirm for me to use markers.

GameGuy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I haven't yet. If I did do it though, the dots are what I had in mind.

So far, most of the expansions are easily recognizable. We have gotten to the point we can quickly pull out P&D, Tower, Cathars, and most of T&B and I&C. My River 1 and River 2 are distinguishable enough with between each - one has a lighter back and a richer front. After that, we can usually locate about 90% of the remaining expansion tiles and use the sheet manifests that Aldaron put together to sort the rest into their respective expansions.

To minimize marking, you really only need to mark these:
I&C has 10 tiles not marked with an Inn or Cathedral
T&B has 4 tiles not marked with a Trade Good
King has 5 tiles
River 1 and 2 have 4 tiles in common

So really, there are only 23 tiles of the 207 that need to be marked. the rest are marked with either a Tower, a Princess, a Volcano, a Dragon, a Magic Portal, a Monk, a River, a Trade Good, an Inn, or a Cathedral.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Newman
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BrianMola wrote:

So far, most of the expansions are easily recognizable. We have gotten to the point we can quickly pull out P&D, Tower, Cathars, and most of T&B and I&C. My River 1 and River 2 are distinguishable enough with between each - one has a lighter back and a richer front. After that, we can usually locate about 90% of the remaining expansion tiles and use the sheet manifests that Aldaron put together to sort the rest into their respective expansions.

King has 5 tiles

So really, there are only 23 tiles of the 207 that need to be marked. the rest are marked with either a Tower, a Princess, a Volcano, a Dragon, a Magic Portal, a Monk, a River, a Trade Good, an Inn, or a Cathedral.

Great analysis of the tiles and what really needs to be marked if one chooses to do so. Thanks for the feedback.

GameGuy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Robinson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you use the Tower (not the bag) there is a problem with marking the backs of tiles.

Something should be used to cover the top tiles, or players should draw from the middle of the stack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I just had the thought of using a marker to mark one side of each tile in a bright color, different for each expansion. Not the front or back, actually along the side of the cardboard. Since we have The Tower, we can just put the marked sides hidden to the back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thies Kolln
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was also going to suggest marking the sides. I don't have all the Carcassonne expansions, but that's how I differentiate the Catan tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hymowitz
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does that mean I'm the only one who specifically owns an unexpanded Carcassonne set, maintained separately from a Carcassonne set with expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Newman
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hymie wrote:
Does that mean I'm the only one who specifically owns an unexpanded Carcassonne set, maintained separately from a Carcassonne set with expansions?

I had a seperate set but gave it to a close friend.

GameGuy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cherry
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
Obligitory Smart-Ass Comment Here
badge
Shhhhhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont mark any tiles. I only separate out the tiles that have rules associated with them. For example, when I take out Princess and the Dragon, I only remove the Dragon, Volcano and Princess tiles. All of the generic tiles stay part of my base set. With Inns and Cathedrals, only the tiles containing Inns or Cathedrals are taken out. Et Cetera.

This way, my base set is quite large, offering many possibilities without the rules of the expansions (my wife hates towers... I get too competitive laugh)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
beri wrote:
Hmm, I just had the thought of using a marker to mark one side of each tile in a bright color, different for each expansion. Not the front or back, actually along the side of the cardboard. Since we have The Tower, we can just put the marked sides hidden to the back.

I wouldn't recommend that. I haven't specifically tried that but it would seem you want to make this as easy as possible on yourself. ifyou mark the edges and use the Tower, you are going to have to make sure everything is oriented the right way. That seems like it would be a pain to set up and a paint to look at to breakdown again.

I really think your best option is marking the front. 1) No distirnguishing marks when they are face down (if you draw off the table or the tower) and 2) when you are done with a game, all the marks are starign at you (since all the tiles should be face up).

If you use the bag, then I wouldn't use the stickers unless you plan to put a sticker on every single tile. Otherwise you might be able to feel the sticker. In this case I would go with the marker. And preferabbly a colored circle so you can see it quickly no matter the orientation. If you used letters, you may have to rotate them around to be sure you are reading it correctly.

Simplicity should be the key.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BrianMola wrote:

King has 5 tiles

Yeah, everyone I play with has memorized the tiles from all the expansions we have, so I have no need to mark them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregorio Morales
Spain
Alicante
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well,

Memorizing the tile distribution is essential to develope a solid strategy. Once you memorized them, separating them is a really easy task!

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davo Brawn
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BrianMola wrote:

King has 5 tiles

I've slightly re-grouped my tile sets.

My I&C set contains:
-all original I&C tiles
-the 5 tiles from King&Scout
-the 4 T&B not marked with a Trade Good

Now sorting is quite easy. I only have to remember which pieces are from the base set as all others pieces are already marked (using BrianMola's guidlines).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
For all the Germans among us: Buy Carcassonne Big Box at Galeria Kaufhof for 35€ as the tiles in this box set (base game + all 4 great expansions) are marked so you can seperate them easily after the game. Inns&Cathedrals uses big meeple symbol on front of the tiles, Princess&Dragon uses fairy symbol, Trader&Builder uses pig symbol, Tower uses tower symbol and base game no marking at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Newman
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
For all the Germans among us: Buy Carcassonne Big Box at Galeria Kaufhof for 35€ as the tiles in this box set (base game + all 4 great expansions) are marked so you can seperate them easily after the game. Inns&Cathedrals uses big meeple symbol on front of the tiles, Princess&Dragon uses fairy symbol, Trader&Builder uses pig symbol, Tower uses tower symbol and base game no marking at all.

That is really cool. Can you upload pictures for us to see?

Thanks

GameGuy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Wynford-Jones
France
Prévessin-Möens
Just across the border from Geneva, Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I created a quick scan of the expansion tiles before breaking them out. The printed sheets are now in the box if ever I need to separate them.

A bit late if you've already broken the sheets out, I know, but you could always gather them after the fact and photo/scan them instead of marking them.

Gavin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.